Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit Query

Options
  • 15-10-2007 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

If someone were to move out of a house where they were sharing with an owner occupier, is it standard that the deposit is kept until all bills have come through, and then deduct pro rata from that. Any input welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sounds like a reasonable enough arrangement (I would assume that copies of the bills for the relevant deductions would then be included when returning the deposit?)

Note- under the rent-a-room scheme all income is considered rental income from both the landlord and tenants perspective (including bill shares etc). You should keep track of all those payments and reclaim rent relief on them.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Ok. To give a fuller picture. I am the owner of the property, said tenant has given me the months notice. I have agreed that she can use 50% of the deposit as payment for the last 2 weeks rent, which from my own experience of renting is quite genereous. Basically, she seems to think she will get back the other 50% and then I will ring her when the bills come in. I know based on past experience, that there would not be much left after gas and esb are taken out of what is left anyway, so she is probably having a hissy fit over €50+ of what I envisage would be left. The total of the bills comes way below the rent a room scheme when added to the rent itself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I think you are being entirely reasonable keeping the deposit until such time as the bills are satisfied. Its only covering yourself- how likely are you to get the money from her after she has left? Highly unlikely. Offer to send her copies of the bills along with the remainder of her deposit when they all eventually arrive, so she can see exactly where the deductions are coming from- I don't see how she can complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Thanks. That is what I thought, but always best to be sure. I suspect she has never rented before, and just does not understand how it is done, despite being 37! It is so frustrating though.

Advertisement