Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Correct procedure here?

Options
  • 15-10-2007 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering about this one. If you're at lights and you're in the right of two lanes and there is room on your left for those who want to go straight ahead to do so, and the filter light for straight ahead goes green, but the round light is still red, what should you do?

Go straight ahead to the point where you would usually turn and not turn even if there is a gap?

Go straight ahead and turn when there is a gap?

or

Stay behind the line until the red light goes green and proceed to half way between the junction and wait for a gap?

The junction I'm thinking of is here

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

don't move until the light goes fully green. if it's just an arrow to go ahead, that's all you can legally do.

which direction were you coming from to that junction? people are incredibly dangerous there, particularly when the filter lights are left off to allow people to cross at pedestrian lights around the corner. the leeson street/canal junction is lethal for it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

This, cormie, is your scariest post yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Haha, see the thing is with this junction with me coming from the West from Mespil Road to turn right onto Upper Baggot St, there are two lanes, the left being for straight ahead (I forget if there is no left turn but it shouldn't make a difference here anyway an the right being for right and straight (I think it's for straight also?). But the way the light sequence works is the straight ahead filter comes on first so all the cars in the left lane go straight down Mespil road and then a few seconds later, the round green light comes on. So I'm just wondering is it ok to go to the middle of the road with the green straight ahead arrow even though the green circle light hasn't come on yet, but will in a few seconds, so you're just saving a few seconds by going to the middle of the junction for when it's going to come on which will then allow you to turn right once safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Hardly much point to save those few seconds though...

If the right turn only is red while straight is green it is usually for a reason, either traffic coming from the other direction still has a go ahead to turn left or there is pedestrians given the green light to cross from your right. Though its a yellow box and technically you could be there, you shouldnt as the light was red.

There's a similar junction in Lucan which does my nut in and works the same way.

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    So I'm just wondering is it ok to go to the middle of the road with the green straight ahead arrow even though the green circle light hasn't come on yet, but will in a few seconds, so you're just saving a few seconds by going to the middle of the junction for when it's going to come on which will then allow you to turn right once safe.

no. stay behind the light until you get a green. no exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Anan1 wrote: »
    This, cormie, is your scariest post yet.
    Maybe the scariest, but definitely not the dumbest.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

esel wrote: »
    His light is red and he knows that, but still wants to go as it's only a few metres.

Red means STOP, not pull into the junction ahead as some people know it'll change soon.

You see though, the right hand lane, which is for turning right AND going straight ahead, is the lane I'd be in, so technically, should I not be going straight ahead with a straight ahead arrow and then the red circle light should come into play when I'm about to turn right, but I'm on a red so can't, so have to wait for the green circle.

If the right hand lane was for right turn only then it would be obvious not to go until the green circle, but technically, that right hand lane is being given the go ahead to go straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

If the right hand lane was for right turn only then it would be obvious not to go until the green circle, but technically, that right hand lane is being given the go ahead to go straight.

Yes, if you're going on straight. But if I'm to understand it, you're turning right, so the green straight ahead arrow doesn't apply to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The right hand lane is for going straight OR turning right not AND turning right. You can't do both at the same time.

It's ludicrous to pretend that because you are going forward for part of the right hand turn that is the same as driving straight on.

Please tell me that this is a hypothetical question and you don't seriously think that it's OK.

Yes it's hypothetical. I like to question everything I'm unsure about on the road;)

And Hagar, yes I should have used OR and not AND, but I used "AND going straight", not "AND turning right", so there's a difference there, wasn't going to turn right, do a u turn and go back the way I would have gone had I not turned right;)
    It's ludicrous to pretend that because you are going forward for part of the right hand turn that is the same as driving straight on.

But is it an illegal move to do so? It could be classed as "making progress" you're speeding up traffic by a few seconds and it could be seen that you're doing no different than somebody else who would be in that lane who wanted to go straight ahead. You'd be both proceeding to that point in the road only if you were going straight ahead, you'd also be going beyond it.

You could also say it's "making progress" to edge forward against a red light if no other traffic is approaching from any direction. It won't hold up in court, but you can say it all the same. :D

I suppose the simplest way to ask this question is does the green straight ahead arrow allow you to go "straight ahead" as far as the middle of the road considering you're in a lane that can go "straight ahead". Surely it does as there's nothing to say you must go certain distance?

What do you do if the right filter light never comes on ( more common than you think, it's built into some sequeneces ) and your green arrow goes out leaving you faced with a red light?

You are forbidden to finish the right turn because it was never authorized in the first place. So there you are stuck in the middle of the road causing a jam.

I suppose the simplest way to ask this question is does the green straight ahead arrow allow you to go "straight ahead" as far as the middle of the road considering you're in a lane that can go "straight ahead". Surely it does as there's nothing to say you must go certain distance?

Try and get this down: the green arrow is ONLY for traffic going in the direction of the arrow. Other traffic MUST obey the other signal, in this case red.

But going half way to the middle of the road is going in the direction of the green arrow... up to a certain point.

Yes Hagar, that's a good point which I thought about and I suppose you could just continue forward. Remember, this is all hypothetical :D

You can't continue forward against a red light.

I'm just glad we don't drive anywhere near each other.

But going half way to the middle of the road is going in the direction of the green arrow... up to a certain point.

If you're turning right, you're turning right.

The Green Arrow is for traffic going straight ahead. That is, traffic that is exiting the other side of the junction in a straight ahead direction.

I'm guessing that the question is not hypothetical at all. I'm guessing that you drove half way out in the junction and had an altercation with someone you blocked. I'm guessing you're trying to get some justification here. Just guessing... :p

Hagar wrote: »
    You can't continue forward against a red light.

I'm just glad we don't drive anywhere near each other.

Obviously you shouldn't be in that situation in the first place but with common sense, since the road ahead would be clear, you should proceed rather than blocking the whole junction waiting to turn right, as right of way is given to those who are already in the process of a turn (in this case being in the middle of a junction going straight ahead would be the same situation).

• Advertisement

Slow coach wrote: »
    I'm guessing that the question is not hypothetical at all. I'm guessing that you drove half way out in the junction and had an altercation with someone you blocked. I'm guessing you're trying to get some justification here. Just guessing... :p

Haha, honestly nope, had no altercations with anyone at that junction. Just started to think I wonder am I legally allowed proceed to half way between the junction as I sat behind the red light;) I can't even remember the last time somebody beeped at me, besides just yesterday when I stopped to let a pedestrian in the middle of the road cross and I even beckoned her on. Shameful :p
    Slow coach wrote: »
    The Green Arrow is for traffic going straight ahead. That is, traffic that is exiting the other side of the junction in a straight ahead direction.

Yeah that's the key I suppose. But I don't recall anywhere stating "traffic that is exiting the other side of the junction in a straight ahead direction." as the definition of straight ahead. It obviously is that, but is it only that?

right of way is given to those who are already in the process of a turn
    You don't have right of way when conducting an illegal right hand turn, there was no right green light allowing a right turn.

Hagar wrote: »
    You don't have right of way when conducting an illegal right hand turn, there was no right green light allowing a right turn.

I'm talking about completing the move of going straight ahead, not turning right. Say if a learner driver was at that junction, in the right hand lane and was actually going straight ahead but conked out in the middle of the road, at the same point where one may stop to turn right, and she didn't get going again until the green arrow had turned red, I think she has right of way to complete her journey to the other side before the traffic coming from her left or right can proceed even with a green light.

Sweet suffering Jesus, take me now Lord, I've had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Cormie - what if the light sequence wasnt as you hoped and you were left in the middle of the junction blocking everybody :o
    Aside - I do wish those (insert appropriately descriptive term here) in the council would get off their (ditto) and sort out these ridiculous junction layouts road markings that allow some drivers think they can take unbelievable liberties .
    2 lanes leading to a single lane after the junction should mean left lane for left or straight, right lane for right, or in the event of no RH turn, then left for left, Right for straight and none of this perpetual mickey mousing that goes on on our roads.
    And as for the eejits (my choice) who willingly allow loads of drivers to undertake them from a wrong lane in these situations, Stop, dont let them, eventually they will then figure out inside lanes arent short cuts to the front of a queue.
    Hagar wrote:
    take me now Lord, I've had enough.
    Hagar - dont go yet- take a look out your window and think of what you are missing. Nothing:D

wil wrote: »
    Cormie - what if the light sequence wasnt as you hoped and you were left in the middle of the junction blocking everybody :o

I know I know I know:p
    Originally Posted by Slow coach
    cormie says: Yeah that's the key I suppose. But I don't recall anywhere stating "traffic that is exiting the other side of the junction in a straight ahead direction." as the definition of straight ahead. It obviously is that, but is it only that?

This is the only part that's unclear to me and hasn't been confirmed yet so it should be unclear to the rest of you too;)

This is the only part that's unclear to me and hasn't been confirmed yet so it should be unclear to the rest of you too;)

No, cormie. I still have TWO functioning brain cells. I can get my head around it. I'm off to join Hagar jumping off the Westlink Bridge.

Hey Hagar, wait for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

What is there to be confirmed? If you cross the line in this circumstance, where you know you are going to turn right, you are running a red light. It seems pretty simple to me. I don't believe it matter that you have to go a bit straight when your intention is to turn right.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

esel wrote: »
    I reserve the right to change my opinion.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

I'd bet €2.60 that it's not actually illegal, or hasn't been defined in the law, to go straight for a few meters in this scenario :p

I know it shouldn't be done, don't get me wrong.

Sure what if somebody was intending to go right and they then changed their minds while waiting in the middle to turn right and instead went straight ahead. They were breaking the law until they decided to go straight on? I can't imagine that's written anywhere in the book of the law.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement