Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No reg... but still evidence

Options
  • 15-10-2007 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so hypothetically, if I was caught by a gatso or whatever and for some reason my reg plate wasn't clear in the shot so they had nothing to go by, bar my big VanTasks.ie logo on the front and back, would they still pursue this I wonder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

If the Van is registered with the company, they may very well follow it up. Not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I very much doubt it!

No sign of a "cormie's van" sub-forum yet? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Now with search back, I see I've started 169 topics in the motors forum alone. Thought it would be more actually:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

i've often looked out for the van tasks van (particularly in the hard shoulder with hazards on :D) yet to see it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

How long does it take for a fine to come out in the post anyhow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

(particularly in the hard shoulder with hazards on :D)
    :D:D
    stepbar wrote:
    How long does it take for a fine to come out in the post anyhow?
    Don't know what the average time is but it must arrive within 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

The Gatso van takes a photo of the reg not the whole van

A fine could take a week to 3 months approx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I have seen the van task van afew times.I have to say it looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

cormie wrote: »
    Ok, so hypothetically, if I was caught by a gatso or whatever and for some reason my reg plate wasn't clear in the shot so they had nothing to go by, bar my big VanTasks.ie logo on the front and back, would they still pursue this I wonder?

Whats a gatso ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

cazzy wrote: »
    Whats a gatso ?
    Its a speed camera

• Advertisement

i've often looked out for the van tasks can (particularly in the hard shoulder with hazards on :D) yet to see it though

Haha, but I got a shiney "new" 02 van so you'll have to divert your eyes to more than just bangers. I wonder how the old one is getting on with its new owners:o This one hasn't given me an ounce of trouble yet, whoo!

That's good to know it only takes a photo of the reg so:) I'll leave asking how the cameras actually work till another time;)

drdre wrote: »
    I have seen the van task van afew times.I have to say it looks good.

Thanks Dre:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

cazzy wrote: »
    Whats a gatso ?

Big scary machine that eats speeders :D

Google or wiki can be your friends

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

'only takes a photo of the reg' ? I doubt it... where'd you hear that?

/edit
    example of what I thought they did:
    link

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

yayamark wrote: »
    :confused:
    The purpose of the markings on the road in front of the Gatso are to do a manual calculation if necessary. Pretty pointless if the camera doesn't capture these!
    Also how would the Gatso manage to find the reg of the vehicle and zoom in, focus, take a pic and then do it all again within the time?
    As said, it is a wide pic taken. You may receive only a copy of the reg with your notice but you can request the entire pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

AFAIK, the gatso's are the mobile cameras, and these do not require the markings on the road surface.
    The markings are only used with the fixed speed cameras.

However, the gatso DOES take more than the reg plate. We have received fines here in work and the driver also appears in the photo. This was companies can identify who is driving a particular vehicle when an offense is commited.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

OP: AFAIK they would need a reg plate to issue the speeding ticket as they couldn't prove it was one of your vans otherwise. I could put your logo on a van and drive it around - it would not be a crimminal offence for me to do so I would think but for me to copy one of your reg plates would.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

prospect wrote: »
    AFAIK, the gatso's are the mobile cameras, and these do not require the markings on the road surface.
    See the link in Gran Hermano's post - wiki

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

kbannon wrote: »
    See the link in Gran Hermano's post - wiki

Thanks,

I stand corrected. It is quite difficult to type whilst standing, but there you go....

P
    :)

axer wrote: »
    OP: AFAIK they would need a reg plate to issue the speeding ticket as they couldn't prove it was one of your vans otherwise. I could put your logo on a van and drive it around - it would not be a crimminal offence for me to do so I would think but for me to copy one of your reg plates would.

That's cool, so go ahead, more advertising the better:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

It is my understanding there are 2 types of gatso devices in use:
    - the fixed gatso cameras which use the road markings and take
    a picture of the rear of a vehicle when they detect it is exceeding
    the speed limit. (Example being the fixed camera on M50 northbound
    between Tallaght and Ballymount.)
    - mobile gatso vans which park up on the hard-shoulder and take a
    photo of the front of a car approaching the gatso van exceeding
    the speed limit. (Example being the white transit van at Harris Iveco
    on N7 this morning with a camera pointed out the back window).

Only the mobile gatso vans can produce a photo which will
    identify the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

cormie, that spray stuff does not work! If you believe it does, and drive over the limit regularly, you probably will have gathered enough points for a disqualification before the first photo drops through your door.

Cue the 'cormie seeks a good solicitor' thread.

Not your ornery onager

Haha, nah, I'm a good boy, I haven't bought that stuff and as far as I know, haven't been snapped yet so I'm still on "no pwa" or however the French say it in the Eurovision:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Speaking of the Irish Gasto Van. I would question the legallity of a photgraph being taken behind a window as totally inaccurate and against the camera makers guidelines(apparantley its in the instruction manual). I'm suprised no one has challanged this in court yet. I know in the UK all Gatso vans are clearly marked and there's an opening in the rear window to allow the camera to take a proper photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Could be an stupid story from a stupid individual but i was speaking with someone (of low I.Q. it has to be said so i took this with a pinch of salt) who reckons that he has 12 points on his licence but has not yet had it revoked? They were all for relatively minor offences such as being on the phone and no seat belt so i don't think hes ever had to appear before a judge... is this possible or was he just talking brown? If it is, then the points system is very flawed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I've just had a look at the uk speedtraps website and take a look for yourself. and I quote "As you may be aware, all speed cameras must now be clearly marked and visible from a certain distance. This also applies to mobile speedtraps such as vans and hand held guns"

Here's the link to there mobile camera's (if it doesn't work click on Talivan icon)
    http://www.speedcam.co.uk/index2.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Bendihorse wrote: »
    They were all for relatively minor offences such as being on the phone...

Talking on a phone while driving is a minor offence? You'll change your mind when you see a HGV swinging wide around a corner you're approaching with one hand on the wheel and one to his ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

bbability wrote: »
    I've just had a look at the uk speedtraps website and take a look for yourself. and I quote "As you may be aware, all speed cameras must now be clearly marked and visible from a certain distance. This also applies to mobile speedtraps such as vans and hand held guns"
    That's a requirement in the UK, not here.

They wouldn't be able to collect any tax if they were highly visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Well actually the gatso van doesn't take a picture, it takes a video of passing traffic, each frame of the video is time stamped... they match up the data from the radar with the video of the traffic off-line.... so in theory they should be able to read what's on the side of the van..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

GATSO Camera takes a photo of the whole van, to include the driver. We send out a picture of the registration and request that the driver be named. If its obviously wrong, (say a girl driver is said to be a man driver) we can follow it up.

Most GATSO photos take the whole vehicle picture, especially the new ones, as the picture is of very high quality and you can zoom in very easily.

Advertisement