Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No reg... but still evidence

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

GTC wrote: »
    GATSO Camera takes a photo of the whole van, to include the driver. We send out a picture of the registration and request that the driver be named. If its obviously wrong, (say a girl driver is said to be a man driver) we can follow it up.

Most GATSO photos take the whole vehicle picture, especially the new ones, as the picture is of very high quality and you can zoom in very easily.

I'm guessing by your post your a Garda yourself? What would you do yourself in the original scenario if the reg was for some reason illegible but the company name was clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd say it would depend on the company. If they look up the company and find one vehicle registered to it, then they could rationally say "That's vehicle 02-D-1234". If the company can prove that they have more than one vehicle with that logo on it (say one of the directors had a personal vehicle with the logo on it), then the Gardai can't prove which vehicle was speeding, and the thing falls over.

Think of a larger company - say Calyx, who may have 20 identical vehicles on the road. If the reg is unreadable, then the company can rightfully say, "we don't know who was driving", and the Gardai can't prove who was driving.

However in my mind it still proves that one of their vehicles broke the law, which means that a fine can be issued, just points can't be applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

But then again, what about axer's point that he could be driving around with a company logo on his van. Take all them girl racers and their playboy logos :rolleyes: for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

GATSO Camera takes a photo of the whole van, to include the driver. We send out a picture of the registration and request that the driver be named. If its obviously wrong, (say a girl driver is said to be a man driver) we can follow it up.

Most GATSO photos take the whole vehicle picture, especially the new ones, as the picture is of very high quality and you can zoom in very easily.

...........this is quite true. We recieved the photo about 2 years back, and it only had the reg, we knew it was our car because you could just make out part of the bootlid, but we couldn't recall who was driving. We didn't bother requesting the bigger photo, we just knew it was one of us !

I cant recall if you have to pay for the bigger photo, I doubt it but you never know !

If they dont have the reg I doubt they would persue it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

cormie wrote: »
    I'm guessing by your post your a Garda yourself? What would you do yourself in the original scenario if the reg was for some reason illegible but the company name was clear?

It would depend on my own workload. If the name of the business is clear, I might send a ticket to the company's main office, to let them pick out the van and the driver at the time. If they've loads of vans, might not be so inclined.

It depends on the individual Garda, if he has a good picture of the van, he may pursue it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

It would depend on my own workload. If the name of the business is clear, I might send a ticket to the company's main office, to let them pick out the van and the driver at the time. If they've loads of vans, might not be so inclined.

It depends on the individual Garda, if he has a good picture of the van, he may pursue it.
    Would it hold up in court without a reg is another question - which I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

The GATSO has a garda operator using a Laser gun connected to a camera with a time ,date & speed stamp, as well as other ref numbers they use

Advertisement