Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can 3/02/vodaone usb dongle be used on home wireless network?

Options
  • 15-10-2007 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

I just bought the '3' version of the USB modem and i was wondering if i could share it out on a home wreless network so i could get more than one computer using it at the same time?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

nulabert wrote: »
    I just bought the '3' version of the USB modem and i was wondering if i could share it out on a home wreless network so i could get more than one computer using it at the same time?

If you bought into '3' I dont think you will have to much to share at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

AFAIK you need to get a special wireless router that will handle HSDPA.

There's a link to one somewhere (linksys I think) - about 120 quid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Have a look at ICS

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Dlink DIR451 WiFi + ethernet router works. Make sure you don't get EVDO version (same box but DIR450 on badge)

Someone here has used the USB modem and I've used the Serria Aircard 850 PCMCIA modem. You don't have to click connect either.

ICS needs the computer on all the time and also I'd rather a Firewall separate from the PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

There are new routers by Draytek that allow you to connect the USB datamodem to a router/switch type device. I have one on order and will be testing it next week.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor_3g.html

There are a few different ones by different manufacturers that will work with the PCMCIA version of the 3G mobile broadband.

Alternative is to use Internet Connection Sharing, but this takes a bit of setting up and you need to know what you're doing setting it up. Having said that I have ICS running and it is brilliant. works all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

Had a quick look at the Draytek website, looks pretty handy. I might start with something like that. Maybe i'll move onto the ICS solution when i get the house sorted for home network/multimedia centre. Thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Specifically
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54088703&postcount=14

No ICS is only a temporary fix. VERY insecure and risky. A dedicated router is better. If you want to use a whole PC, then instead of ICS use this
    http://www.clarkconnect.com/
    Which can have the USB modem installed on it, as to linux it's just a Serial dialup modem via USB.

You really don't want to use you Media Centre as Firewall or vice versa!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

nulabert wrote: »
    Had a quick look at the Draytek website, looks pretty handy. I might start with something like that. Maybe i'll move onto the ICS solution when i get the house sorted for home network/multimedia centre. Thanks for all the help.

Seriously if you have already signed up with 3 be very careful about spending money on routers etc as the signal appears to be hardly usable for one user never mind attempting to share it.

Advertisement