Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingfisher Club. RSC

• 16-10-2007 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Did anybody else receive the leaflet about the new leisure complex at the RSC its a Kingfisher franchise. Has anybody ever used a Kingfisher before they seem to be a few round Galway/Mayo. Any ideas of membership fees

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Butternutz

Hi did the leaflet give any details of when it will be opening? This is what i found out about it.http://www.kingfisherclub.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

I got the leaflet in the door to & I rang up to enquire, got a bit of a hard sell, so be prepared if you ring yourself. Anyway the details are

Normally €750 per year.

Opening offer €595 (€298 two monthly instalments)
    €540 (if paid in one instalment).

By the sound of it & the website, it will be the best gym in Waterford by far; it will have tennis courts and all. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Liesia

I was a member in their Galway gym and they were very good. Lots of machines well spaced and clean, large area for weights, all members get personalised programmes and trainers who know their stuff are always on hand. In Galway they had a lovely large pool too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Is the Regional Sports Centre owned by Waterford United? Or is it Waterford Corporation?

If it's the Corpo then what the hell is a private company doing opening an expensive gym on city land?

I know €540 is pretty much the going rate but if it's going to rise to €795 after one year there then I don't think it will do well at all.

Roen wrote: »
    Is the Regional Sports Centre owned by Waterford United? Or is it Waterford Corporation?

If it's the Corpo then what the hell is a private company doing opening an expensive gym on city land?

I know €540 is pretty much the going rate but if it's going to rise to €795 after one year there then I don't think it will do well at all.

The RSC is owned by Waterford City Council. The new gym is a joint project between the two.

To be honest, I thought it was going to be a pay as you go gym as it is a public driven project but their you go, profit is king these days.

• Advertisement

Pity all right, the tennis courts used to be as cheap as chips, I wonder how much they'll be after this crowd takes over :)

....................To be honest, I thought it was going to be a pay as you go gym as it is a public driven project but their you go, profit is king these days.

I have found out now that it will be pay as you go as well as membership. But the pay as you go will only be at selected hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭teckno

IT IS FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

Got a sneak preview, the brother is working on site. The gym is upstairs and it is massive, so much room. Theres big halls then upstairs for yoga keep fit etc, downstairs there is a cafe, a fantastic pool with a brilliant hydrotherapy jacuzzi (it's huge)
    There is a massive indoor sports hall as well with seating an outside a full size synthetic pitch. Honestly lad's it is top quality and shows what we have been lacking for years it literally blows splashworld, or waterford crystal out of the water (excuse the pun)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Splashworld is more of a kids place tbh.

Wonder how much it costs just to use their pool the odd time?

It might be a fantastic facility but I think it stinks (not a reference to the nearby dump) that a private company are allowed to set up shop on public land.

That place used to be for everyone to use and was priced accordingly. I'm enough of a realist to know that this 'is the way of things' but I still don't like it one bit.

As for Splashworld being a kiddie place I was a member there (gym) until earlier this year and it was far from a kiddie place. Do you mean the pool Sully?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

It might be a fantastic facility but I think it stinks (not a reference to the nearby dump) that a private company are allowed to set up shop on public land.

That place used to be for everyone to use and was priced accordingly. I'm enough of a realist to know that this 'is the way of things' but I still don't like it one bit.

Well this is the country where private hospitals are built on public land, and the government builds a road, paid for by the taxpayer, from Baldoyle to just north of the Liffey, and from Bray to just south of the Liffey, but lets a private company build the bridge between the two and cream off the profits!

What's worse is the price for this gym: €750. Shows that there's no competition in Waterford. Westmanstown gym near Lucan has similar facilities to Kingfisher and only charges about €400 if I remember correctly. Westpoint in Blanchardstown (where I was a member before moving home) is a little less upmarket, but in a great location, and only charges €325.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭teckno

Myself i think the membership is obviously way way over the top, I am just informing people that what is there is top quality it's not second rate. However I think judgement should be reserved until we see what the pricing strategy will be for pay as you go!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

As for Splashworld being a kiddie place I was a member there (gym) until earlier this year and it was far from a kiddie place. Do you mean the pool Sully?

Yes I meant the pool. I'm aware there gym has a strict (or did have) policy on kids using it. Its a pretty small place.

Fair point Teckno.

@ Fricatus Yep, I am all too familiar with the ways of Ireland c.2007.
    It's just when it lands on your doorstep it kind of hits all the harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 montruse

Does anyone have the number for this place-none to be found on website for Waterford branch. Thanks

Advertisement