Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom - Wimax rollout

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Well I for one would get involved - if Ireland offline came back into the active realm - Does anyone know - how many eircom subscribers can't currently avail of the fancy broadband offerings that are advertised on tv every ten minutes ? if everyone of them moved to another provider in protest - and at the same time signed a petition saying that they will not vote for any of the government parties until they address this issue (and deliver results). Until Eircom start losing money and the government start losing potential votes because of this - I don't think that this will be taken seriously.
    ?
    It is completely unrealistic to expect people to change providers out of protest. People will go to where they get the best service and best value and thats the bottom line. Petitions do nothing and would promptly be binned.
    Also people that have had to spend 000's of euros in the past few years in getting satellite etc. should be recompensed - -
    It is also completely unrealistic and downright ridiculous to even think that people would be recompensed for paying for an expensive service. It won't happen and honestly can't happen.
    Its Eircoms duty to provide this service
    No its not Eircoms duty to provide broadband, they are a private company and what they wish to provide is their own choice. They are bound by a universal service obligation for a working phoneline suitable for phone calls and a minimum of 28 kilobit rate for data but nothing more.
    they should'nt have a God given right to the last mile of voice unless they are prepared to provide an adequete communication service.
    The infrastructure was sold by the government and is owned by Eircom so they own the last mile. All they are required to do is meet their U.S.O. as I mentioned above and provide access(for a price) to it for other providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Mike Byrne of Comreg has commented on WiMax today on Silicon Republic.
    Byrne is already looking beyond technologies like WiMax and 3G to a standard called WiBro (Wireless Broadband), a portable broadband service that can allow for 50Mbps download and 5Mps upload even if you are travelling at 50Km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Its simple really. Eircom announce these technologies to interfere with other operators plans, thats all.

EG

19/10/2006 One Year Ago

To my knowledge they have 3 live and may reach 20 by end 2007 , most certainly not 100. .

SB - I've got to pick you up on this post on this thread from a couple of weeks ago - I know for a fact that eircom has launched DSL so far at 35 out of the 100 announced exchanges and I understand that they are on target to get to 75+ by the end of the year, with a commitment to get the remainder completed in Q1 2008.

Yeah, they have not reached the 100 number by the end of 2007, but I think 75 is not that far off given that these are mainly rural locations and inevitably can be difficult to connect at the necessary capacity into their core network.
    They then announced , in March another 330 exchanges to be done . That should be finished around 2012 I should think.

I know for a fact that internally in eircom, they are planning for mid 2009 to get all of those sites finished. They are ramping up their resources in those areas at the moment to try to hit a run rate of 25 a month by early next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

So does anyone actually know when (if ever) wimax is going to be rolled out by Eircom ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Duiske_Lad wrote: »
    Mike Byrne of Comreg has commented on WiMax today on Silicon Republic.

WiBro is just the Korean version of Wimax.

(You have an extra http in your link).

To get more speed on WiMax, Flash-OFDM, WiBro, LTE etc you need MORE bandwidth. Currently operators have 4 to 10MHz. They need to roll out DTT and allocate 50MHz to 150MHz bandwidth at 800MHz to have these hyped speeds.

There is nothing new and much hype in that article.

Exactly what network last mile and network backhaul will eircom use for IPTV?

• Advertisement

So does anyone actually know when (if ever) wimax is going to be rolled out by Eircom ?
    It doesn't really matter. It mostly allows an upgrade of number of users, with some speed upgrade, for pre Wimax Breeze (BreezeMax is WiMax) but not compared with Metro.

The point is that eircom have had a national licence and gear for years and don't sell it. Now they have sold the masts to Threefold (though done some lease back deal).

They have 400+ exchanges on list for DSL upgrade. WiMax announcements are mostly to rattle the other operators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Okay - I guess the only thing that we can hope for is that do Eircom lease out their masts (presumably these are the big red and white FWA ones - one of which I've been looking at from my house for the last couple of years?) - whoever they lease to - has only to put christmas lights on them - to improve their level of usefulness :)

They are sold... read the earlier posts. Quite recently. All of them. They have leased back what they are using.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Grommet wrote: »
    SB - I've got to pick you up on this post on this thread from a couple of weeks ago - I know for a fact that eircom has launched DSL so far at 35 out of the 100 announced exchanges and I understand that they are on target to get to 75+ by the end of the year, with a commitment to get the remainder completed in Q1 2008.

Fine, name the ones that are live so and thanks for confirming what I know which is that they will not be completed on schedule ....which schedule of over 13 months was not too onerous in the first place .

I did say elsewhere, recently , that one was done to my knowledge.

I had heard in the spring/summer that 15 a month were due for release starting July .

I was somewhat nonplussed when Rex Comb , who really should know whats happening , Told Silicon Republic the following in early september
    Eircom last week revealed that it has spent €369m on capital investment in the past 12 months, an increase of €103m on the previous year. Comb said that 400 additional exchanges have been earmarked for broadband-enabling and that at present the company is enabling at least 25 exchanges a month. This will bring Ireland to 96pc broadband coverage by 2009.

Now I am told that 35 are done in TOTAL 8 weeks after the boss said that the company was banging out 25 a month .

I am one bewildered Sponge and as you can imagine there is a lot of moisture hissing out of my many orifices at the myriad information at my disposal .
    grommet wrote:
    I know for a fact that internally in eircom, they are planning for mid 2009 to get all of those sites finished. They are ramping up their resources in those areas at the moment to try to hit a run rate of 25 a month by early next year.

Again, these were announced in March 2007 and none of the 330 are done.
    I expected them to trail the 100 of course.

Please forgive me Grommet when I say that I will believe
    eircom only when the line passes and the DSL light goes GREEN 2 weeks later.

Everything else, IMHO , is primarily designed to create FUD in the wireless and cable space .

Sponge - Fair enough - you have reason for your cynicism towards eircom.
    I presume from what you said that you do not have eircom DSL then? is it because you are at an exchange that is not enabled? If so, what exchange is it?

• Advertisement

I have Bitstream Grommet , I am Ok in that respect although I have no choice as it happens ...maybe EDGE , maybe !

Yes I am a cynic an no its not in the least insulting :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

watty wrote: »
    They are sold... read the earlier posts. Quite recently. All of them. They have leased back what they are using.

Sorry to be a pedantic Pete but they really only sold half of them. They retained approx. 50%. It's true they have leased back though. The fact that they sold the masts is not a good enough explanation why they haven't kicked some sort of WiMax plan into gear.

Since they have had a licence for years and still have access to all the masts you must conclude that their interests lie elsewhere

Fine, name the ones that are live so and thanks for confirming what I know which is that they will not be completed on schedule ....which schedule of over 13 months was not too onerous in the first place .

For the record - here is the list of exchanges from the list of 100 that have been launched so far (total = 39). As said, these are coming on line much more slowly than eircom planned, but at least there is some movement.

ARDMORE
    ANNESTOWN
    BALLA
    BALLYBRITTAS
    BALLYCLOUGH
    BALLYGARVAN
    BALLYMAHON
    BALLINDINE
    BALLYLINAN
    CHARLESTOWN
    CARRIGART
    CASTLEGARREN
    CASTLEMARTYR
    DUNMORE
    DUNLAVIN
    DONERAILE
    FRESHFORD
    FAHAN
    GARRISTOWN
    GREENCASTLE
    JULIANSTOWN
    KILMACRENAN
    KILCORMAC
    KILLESHANDRA
    KILLUCAN
    KILLYGORDON
    LOMBARDSTOWN
    MOUNTCHARLES
    MANORCUNNINGHAM
    MUFF
    NOBBER
    PALLASKENRY
    QUIGLEYS POINT
    RATHKEALE
    ROSSCAHILL
    RATHVILLY
    TIERMACLANE
    TIMOLEAGUE
    TURLOUGHMORE

For completeness, the following sites have also been launched in the last few months (not included on the published list of 100)

ARDREW
    COLPE CROSS
    DEEPFORDE
    GRACEFIELD
    KILBRECK
    NUTGROVE
    NEWHALL BUSINESS PK
    ST JOHNS ROAD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Grommet wrote: »
    For the record - here is the list of exchanges from the list of 100 that have been launched so far (total = 39).

ARDMORE
    [..]
    TURLOUGHMORE

39% wouldn't get you a pass in the leaving cert...so by definition eircom have failed (again)

Yeah but to use your analogy - the exam is still sitting.

The press release announced the launch of the 100 by end of the year - there are still two months to go. So, let's see if they reach a pass mark by the time the bell goes ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Stix108

I was told yesterday, after ringing to have my new line tested for DSL as the exchange was upgraded a couple of months ago, and the guy on the other end of the line gave me the bad news, but them proceeded to tell me about the WiMax, but suggested it would be summer of next year. Still Pixxed off about the whole DSL thing as I had to pay to have the line connected, a couple of months rental just to be told tough. I hate eircom.

The first thing that you should know is that eircom do not have Wimax!!!
    Irish Broadband was bought over by Imagine a year ago and have spent a lot of time developing wimax.. It is up and running and will be available at the start of next year. It is being tested right now and up and running in certain areas in Dublin. I have seen it working. If you are talking to eircom again ask them to send you out information in writing and you will then get a different story about them having wimax. The best thing about wimax is that you will no longer need eircom phone lines or their network to make phone calls as wimax does it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭PMC999

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anthony4335
    I was told yesterday, after ringing to have my new line tested for DSL as the exchange was upgraded a couple of months ago, and the guy on the other end of the line gave me the bad news, but them proceeded to tell me about the WiMax, but suggested it would be summer of next year. Still Pixxed off about the whole DSL thing as I had to pay to have the line connected, a couple of months rental just to be told tough. I hate eircom.
    Stix108 wrote: »
    The first thing that you should know is that eircom do not have Wimax!!!
    Irish Broadband was bought over by Imagine a year ago and have spent a lot of time developing wimax.. It is up and running and will be available at the start of next year. It is being tested right now and up and running in certain areas in Dublin. I have seen it working. If you are talking to eircom again ask them to send you out information in writing and you will then get a different story about them having wimax. The best thing about wimax is that you will no longer need eircom phone lines or their network to make phone calls as wimax does it all.

anthony4335's post is almost 2 years old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭gdael

Stix108 wrote: »
    The first thing that you should know is that eircom do not have Wimax!! Irish Broadband was bought over by Imagine a year ago and have spent a lot of time developing wimax.. It is up and running and will be available at the start of next year.

Eircom trialled fixed wimax , Imagine have launched mobile wimax not fixed wimax . What is it with all the N00bs who have registered in the past 2 days to PIMP Imagine :( ....as well as dragging up old threads ..ugh ?????

But we should revisit this eircom trial I suppose. This technnology was promised in teh main cities by eircom as a BB for all guarantee .

Furthermore eircom have 4 or 5 times more 3.5ghz spectrum in Dublin than Imagine do .
    I have seen it working.

Thought so :)
    If you are talking to eircom again ask them to send you out information in writing and you will then get a different story about them having wimax.

Wimax Trial over in Athone is it ??

What happened to the Irish Broadband Wimax Rollout promised in 2005?? or is this it 4 years later and 12 cities short ???

http://www.rte.ie/business/2005/1110/broadband.html
    Irish Broadband has today announced a major initiative for the immediate rollout of WiMAX broadband networks to 14 of Ireland's major urban centres. The initiative is in association with Intel.

Irish Broadband have launched WiMAX broadband services in Athlone, Arklow, Carlow, Cork, Dublin, Ennis, Galway, Kilkenny, Killaloe, Letterkenny, Limerick, Newbridge, Portlaoise and Wexford.
    'This development will enable Irish Broadband to expand its network coverage area as well as further enhance its ability to provide services such as VoIP, video broadband and other IP data and voice services',

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭cowboy1981

Eircom trialled fixed wimax , Imagine have launched mobile wimax not fixed wimax . What is it with all the N00bs who have registered in the past 2 days to PIMP Imagine :( ....as well as dragging up old threads ..ugh ?????

Just Googled Eircom and Wi-Max and got this interesting FAQ. They appear to be using Fixed Wi-Max in Black Valley, Kerry to deliver Voice and Broadband with external antennas, and no copper cables. There is quite a lot of information on their solution. Perhaps this was a pilot for what they intended if they had won the NBS?

http://business.eircom.net/SME/faq/105377451/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Thread... so... old... zombies... bad...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement