Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 13ghz processor? mmmhmmm...can anyone say "fake"?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

4 x 3.25.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

4 x 3.25.....

so I have a quad core processor....does that mean I have a 13ghz processsor yea?

im pretty sure that the 4 cores are not 3.25ghz each....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

I think they are. But that doesn't really make it right to say it's 13GHz. Makes about as much sense as adding in the clock speed of his RAM and graphics card on top of that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

so I have a quad core processor....does that mean I have a 13ghz processsor yea?

They are 3.25Ghz each but they run different processes, even when under full load - so the fastest the computer will be is 3.25Ghz regardless.

HavoK wrote: »
    They are 3.25Ghz each but they run different processes, even when under full load - so the fastest the computer will be is 3.25Ghz regardless.

ah...

still its a bit misconceiving. i mean dell don't advertise their computers as coming with a powerful 12ghz processor. trust ebay i suppose...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

Its like having four Totota Corollas or one Ferrari.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

But they don't add up so it is totally misleading and wrong. If a program is able to take advantage of multiple cores, it'll fly on a quad core. Running programs that aren't, or games for that matter, you get zero benefit over a single core processor.
    ts like having four Totota Corollas or one Ferrari.

...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

thegoth wrote: »
    Its like having four Totota Corollas or one Ferrari.
    Actually it's more like selling a car advertised with 2,400BHP and then you find out it's four ferraris. Even if you have three mates who can drive the other cars, your output is still only 600BHP.

seamus wrote: »
    Actually it's more like selling a car advertised with 2,400BHP and then you find out it's four ferraris. Even if you have three mates who can drive the other cars, your output is still only 600BHP.

haha excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If something could be perfectly multithreaded (and assuming no overhead due to bus/memory), then in theory a quad core would take 25% of the time to complete a task then a single core, making it "effectively" as if you had a single core processor at 4 times that clock speed (and thats also assuming a linear performance increase along with clock speed, which doesn't happen either).

To use the Ferrari example, suppose each car could carry 1 box, and you had 4 boxes to get from A to B, 4 Ferrari's do the same job in 25% of the time (negating the time taken to get back to A, otherwise the 4 ferrari's would be 7 times faster).

It is a stupid way to measure things tho :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Ebay is full of sharks and bargains..

You can get a core2duo with vista for as little as 200 euro if you know where to look and you know how to bid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

its just people on ebay trying to trick people that dont know much about computers that they are buying a z0mg super fast cpu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

KamiKazi wrote: »
    its just people on ebay trying to trick people that dont know much about computers that they are buying a z0mg super fast cpu

Pretty much yeah. I seen (a big is pc site ) doing the same thing recently so i emailed them and asked them to stop, as it was blatent false advertising. And they actually replied with an appology and changed their pc form a 12ghz pc back to a 3ghz PER ZOMG QUAD CORE PEECEE !!!!111one!!

Anti wrote: »
    Pretty much yeah. I seen (a big is pc site ) doing the same thing recently so i emailed them and asked them to stop, as it was blatent false advertising. And they actually replied with an appology and changed their pc form a 12ghz pc back to a 3ghz PER ZOMG QUAD CORE PEECEE !!!!111one!!

haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

LMFAO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

lol.. they are.. I couldn't be arsed explaining how the idiot managed to get 13GHz. It's a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

It gets even more ridiculous:

the same Muppet is now offering a 16GHz+ for Stg £3,495.00 (Eur €5,016.00 Approx)

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220139573083&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=130163354711&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget

Hello! is there any film in some peoples cameras? :eek:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

in all failness he does say multiple times the cpu is at 4ghz per core.

Point taking Anti but.....

You can't defend that shady misleading come & buy me I'm the fastest PC in the world tactic? & then charge four times what it's worth.

It's intentionally aimed at people that don't know much about all the technical jargon & rely purely on the face value of the description.

It's legalised fraud & nothing short of it.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I honestly believe that I have 12GHz of compute power (Q6600 @ 3GHz). That's the way I think about it. That's the total compute power available to me.

For example: I have a script for converting a series of tv shows for my psp. It converts 4 shows at once. I get the total conversion done in (approx) 1/4 of the time.
    in all failness he does say multiple times the cpu is at 4ghz per core.

This is the key point I suppose. I don't see it as fraud, though I agree it's shady.

• Advertisement

It gets even more ridiculous:

the same Muppet is now offering a 16GHz+ for Stg £3,495.00 (Eur €5,016.00 Approx)

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220139573083&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=130163354711&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget

Hello! is there any film in some peoples cameras? :eek:

he selling the whole rig, not just the cpu...

KamiKazi wrote: »
    he selling the whole rig, not just the cpu...

I know that!

You can buy that Processor on DABS for €930 so that leaves you over 4K to buy the other parts.

Are you suggesting that you couldn't build that Rig for less then 5K?

Advertisement