Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Wireless Problem????

Options
  • 16-10-2007 8:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

All
    I have a Dell Inspiron Desktop with a wireless card built in.

I have received the Eircom wireless router and have installed the CD.
    I can connect to the wireless network but the web doesnt open for me.

I can only use when I am connected through the Ethernet cable.

Does anyone know why the web wont open when I am connected to the wireless network???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

Reset your modem at the back, then connect wirelessly and see if you can access 192.168.1.254 - if so, click on connect. That page will give you all your status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mina2007Eire

auggie2k wrote: »
    Reset your modem at the back, then connect wirelessly and see if you can access 192.168.1.254 - if so, click on connect. That page will give you all your status.

Hi Auggie
    I have tried resetting it, connected to the network again and still wont open 192.168.1.254

The network card in the Device manager says its working fine also.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

connect via cable.
    Change Wireless to WPA PSK AES and enter a 32 character passpharase.. Write it down 1st.

Put same settings in Laptop.

Note that if you have the same mode settings but difference in password your WiFi card tells you that you are connected, but nothing works.

Also disable Intel Wireless wizard thingy and in WiFi card Wireless settings pick "Let Windows Manage my WiFi"

watty wrote: »
    connect via cable.
    Change Wireless to WPA PSK AES and enter a 32 character passpharase.. Write it down 1st.

Put same settings in Laptop.

Note that if you have the same mode settings but difference in password your WiFi card tells you that you are connected, but nothing works.

Also disable Intel Wireless wizard thingy and in WiFi card Wireless settings pick "Let Windows Manage my WiFi"

Quick question.
    The 32 character passpharase, is this not the WEP number or is it a password I would give it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

if it says passphrase in the settings of thr router i would guess its using WPA and not WEP

but basically what watty said is correct
    and i second letting windows manage your wireless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

write down a long meaningless jumble of letters & numbers.
    It has to be long and meaningless so "brute force" like you see in Films can't crack the password.

Password crackers have a huge dictionary, so real words are useless.

You have to make it up uniquely and write it down in a safe place for re-installs or adding more laptops. Everything on the same connection must have the same meaningless password. The Router AND the Laptop must be the same key or phrase or password (different names for same thing)

Don't use this, but this a what a good password looks like
    78GydYdl42mzapte65jWHS23psw1kLgs

This is a bad password
    Letmeinplease
    or also bad
    L3t_M3_1n_P13453

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This makes nice random 64 character passwords.

if it says passphrase in the settings of thr router i would guess its using WPA and not WEP

but basically what watty said is correct
    and i second letting windows manage your wireless.

Windows is already managing the wireless.
    But I will try the passphrase

thanks

Advertisement