Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

advice buying diesel 03 - 05 10k-15k

Options
  • 16-10-2007 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Mate of mine is looking at buying a used car. He wants a diesel around the 2 litre. he is willing to spend 10 - 15k. between a 03 and a 05

he was thinking pug 407 or ford mondeo. Any other cars you guys know of that would be suit the above requirments, its mainly needed for long haul journeys.

He is also looking at bringone one in from england where is the best website or place to look.

Any advice/warnings/experience very much appriciated.

thanks for looking
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

pI was in a similar situation around 12 months back. I checked the various prices of secondhand diesels and also looked at the economics of bringing a car in from the UK. I had previously done this and would be happy to do so if the savings were sufficient.
    However bringing a car in from the UK is in not as attractive as it was. The VRT payalbe is pretty criminal on any car from 04 onwards. The cost of doing so is also prohibitive, when you consider the change to sterling , ferry costs and your time. You generally do not have a warranty with such cars and with the modern cars if anything goes wrong it's generally a main dealer job and expensive.
    I checked the classifieds and Guides and the prices. I eventually bought a Focus TDCI from a main Ford dealer. This car had more than average miles but had full ford service history with it. A six month warranty was also given. I made an offer 500 euro less than the original buy price quoted and eventually got the car. I am most pleased with it and I can honestly say that I haven't driven a diesel with similar performance. Mondeo has same engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

shawnee wrote: »
    Mondeo has same engine.

The New 2007 Mondeo does (except with a different fueling system and ECU), not the 2001-2007 one.

Also have a 2003 Focus TDCI. Truly wonderful car IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

thanks for that guys.

So ford do one of the best saloon diesels of the last few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 2000 - 2007 Mondeo is dirt cheap in the UK now that the new model is on sale. Should be able to pick up a 2004/2005 2.0 litre 130bhp TDCi version (which is very rare in Ireland) on that budget. Most are higher spec than Irish models too with cruise control as standard afaik.

I would also look at the Mazda 6 2.0 diesel too, alot less common than the Mondeo but can be bought at the right price too.

Others to consider: 2005 Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 diesel and Alfa Romeo 156 1.9 diesel. Both use what is reckoned to be the best diesel engine in this class:- 1.9 Multijet made by Fiat.

Whatever car you look at in the UK make sure you do your homework and have a HPI check done on it. This will show service history, mileage verification, MOT failures, outstanding finance and any accidents claims made against insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

thank everyone for your thoughts. the alfa is a lovely looking car. But a friend told me the electrics on alfas arent great is that true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Nothing against Alfa, likewise, the sister has a fiat for the last five years since new and has had no problems. But alot more seem to have them. I'm a a huge Volkswagen fanatic so i'm going to have to stick my part in on the Passat or even a Golf....
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=779530
    Something like this, again, there are many variations so u would have to limit down ur choice... Any questions on a passat i'd be happy to answer... Have had three Passats in the family (01,04,06) and currently have three volkswagens.

Advertisement