Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

student walkout in dingle

Options
  • 16-10-2007 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

nearly 25% of students in the new community school in dingle walked out of classes yesterday in protest at having to do all classes through irish.

the school is an amalgamation of 2 older schools, both of which offered the option of classes through english, but the new school does not offer this option. so now, students who have done their entire primary and junior cert education through english are faced with a total immersion in irish for all their leaving cert subjects.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

its actually dingle daingean ni dhuis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

thats gay tho , if they want they can

but forcing them in very very unfair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

doyler wrote: »
    nearly 25% of students in the new community school in dingle walked out of classes yesterday in protest at having to do all classes through irish.

the school is an amalgamation of 2 older schools, both of which offered the option of classes through english, but the new school does not offer this option. so now, students who have done their entire primary and junior cert education through english are faced with a total immersion in irish for all their leaving cert subjects.

Can anyone actually fault their decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Only 25%?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

conor2007 wrote: »
    its actually dingle daingean ni dhuis

its actually dingle daingean uí chúis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

conor2007 wrote: »
    thats gay tho

yes it is the definition of homosexual :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i think irish should be compulsory... well i would have loved to have been thought it from a very young age... petty i wasn't :( it never to late to learn... except for exam time in which case the lc students have a point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    its actually dingle daingean uí chúis.

Isn't it actually "An Daingean"? I don't think the dingly dangly thing has any legal status, despite the vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

well i would have loved to have been thought it from a very young age... petty i wasn't
    maybe you should learn english first...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

You'd swear this was a communist state we lived in with some of the deciosions that are made, this is a disgrace, I understand they want to revive the Irish language but this is not the way to go about it, To make things worse the nearest secondary school is over 20km away...

• Advertisement

S.I.R wrote: »
    i think irish should be compulsory... well i would have loved to have been thought it from a very young age... petty i wasn't :( it never to late to learn... except for exam time in which case the lc students have a point

Why the hell should it be compulsory :confused: You think its fair to force people to do it when they don;t want to?
    If you want to do it you can but forcing people who don't want to? thats just well... wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Isn't it actually "An Daingean"? I don't think the dingly dangly thing has any legal status, despite the vote.

The plebiscite which was an official referendum by the Kerry County Council ruled in majority for the name to be changed from An Daingean to Dingle ( Danigean Ui Chuis) however that stupid goul Eammon O Chuiv ( Who calls himself the minister for the gaeltacht and rural affairs when there isnt any proper V! in the irish langauge only for words which have been adopted from english to irish such as vote which is vota and stupid words like varnish which is vearnais and this cant be argued ) hasnt changed it back yet. He almost destroyed Dingle's economy with his power trip.

By the way my mum who is from Ballinaboula in Dingle got a vote even though we are living in Cork and she voted for the name to be changed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Yah from being down in the area on holidays etc. because my mum is from Dingle, we heard all the comotion about this stupid idea. When the new school was built and opened just this september the school board of management had a choice if they wanted to teach classes in English, Irish or a choice between English and Irish. The principal just decided without any discussion with parents etc. that classes will be taught through Irish only, giving no consideration to those who did all their primary school education through English.

If anybody was listening to Joe Duffy during the summer this saga was mentioned when a parent rang in, quite rightly expressing his anguish for a such an idiotic decision. You must realise that Dingle has a growing multi- cultural society with over 2,00 Polish alone living in the town and sourrounding area. When the principal was questioned about a russian girl going into 4th year,the parent knew and how she had no word of english not to mind Irish, he just said " She can learn it in Transition Year".

I have never heard such narrowminded ignorance ever.

Those 25% pupils were quite right to walk out of the school. Definitely Mary Hannafin or someone will have to sort this out before it blows out of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

that's insane, especially if you were from a different country and had an exemption from irish. even still, to try and make it your first language at this stage is ridiculous!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Its crap like that , that really turns me against the Irish language.

Also the fact that I was forced to learn a language at school as a compulsory class and exam that <a> I'd never speak outside class , and <b> never used once I left school hasnt helped.

Anyway what I dont get is ...if you say anything negative about the Gaelic language you get the whole "huf huff its PART of our HERITAGE ! we SHOULD all be able to speak it humph " thing .
    Which is grand , but by that logic how come we dont have to learn to write in Ogham? Or better still , if you're from say Dublin or Wexford , have to learn Old Norse?(Actually I'd have really liked that).

<Prepares to be torn apart by wild Gaelgors>

Yes I agree Luas-Dublin, there going the completly wrong way about ti forcing people to do it instead of giving people a choice which would mean the people who want to di it CAN and the people who don't DON'T.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Fair play to them. I would have walked out too

NOBODY should be forced into learning Irish in a manner such as that. Fine if they want to.

The comments made the by school staff, thats a tad unreasonable is it not? The russian student with no Irish "She can learn it in TY?!". Get real...

Learn Irish in TY haha, I've been doing it since 1st class or something and still am terrible at it, went back to my primary school book the other night to write a essay (and im in 6th year ordinary lvl)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Don't be silly, everyone knows there's no internet in the Gaeltacht :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Piste wrote: »
    Don't be silly, everyone knows there's no internet in the Gaeltacht :)

they also marry their cousins and eat babies :p

on a more serious note, irish is considerably more relevant than it has been in the last twenty years due it new fangled EU langauge status, so there is a use for it: you have a constitutional right to get any document put out by the government in irish so basically everything that the EU puts out HAS to be translated into irish therefore translators will be needed so students can study towards that rather than whining about being marginalised this OBVIOUSLY does not apply to foreign students but just proves it importance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Found this on Irish Independent website

http://www.independent.ie/education/the-irish-question-1199565.html

Extract from the webpage:

Tom Geaney, proprietor of The Dingle Pub

Several months ago, two local schools, amalgamated to form Pobailscoil Chorca Dhuibhne in Dingle. One of them had been an English language school, and parents and pupils say they were unprepared for all-Irish language classes.

Two of my children attend the school. Suzie is 17, David is 12. The all-Irish stipulation is causing difficulties for both. Suzie took part in the protests as she is concerned the Irish rule will affect her Leaving Cert. Prior to this year, the children attended the Presentation School, where they were taught through the medium of English and Irish. I can see their education suffering. The school would deny this. Nevertheless, I've seen the evidence with my own eyes.

I've seen my son coming home, with a dictionary in his hand, trying to work out his lessons. Some of the material they've been given -- you wouldn't know if it was Irish or Japanese. This isn't an Irish issue -- it's an education issue.

There are those who claim Dingle is an Irish-speaking area. Well, I'm not sure many people in the town would agree. I've lived in Dingle all my life. I've never considered it all-Irish speaking. This has been going on for six weeks now. I think in the long run it could turn off students from Irish.

It's not directly relevant but many people feel the same about the name-change from Dingle to An Daingean. There's a feeling that Irish language activists are becoming hard-line and that the opinions of ordinary people aren't been taken into account. Some parents who want to have their children educated as least partly in English have withdrawn their kids from the school and sent them 30 miles away. My daughter has started to educate herself. She cannot understand the Irish text books. We were told, before the new school opened, that fifth year wouldn't be that intense. But it is -- my daughter is getting ready for her Leaving Cert.

And she feels she's been essentially left to her own devices.

My pub is called The Dingle Pub and I won't be changing it to The Daingean Pub!

Any progress on this, I really hope its not forgotten about because its a disgrace of a situation. 30 miles for the nearest school, honestly it makes me despise the irish language

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Its crap like that , that really turns me against the Irish language.

Also the fact that I was forced to learn a language at school as a compulsory class and exam that <a> I'd never speak outside class , and <b> never used once I left school hasnt helped.

Anyway what I dont get is ...if you say anything negative about the Gaelic language you get the whole "huf huff its PART of our HERITAGE ! we SHOULD all be able to speak it humph " thing .
    Which is grand , but by that logic how come we dont have to learn to write in Ogham? Or better still , if you're from say Dublin or Wexford , have to learn Old Norse?(Actually I'd have really liked that).

I can only assume that the "luas" in your name is not to do with the irish word for speed?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

carlowboy wrote: »
    I can only assume that the "luas" in your name is not to do with the irish word for speed?
    heh I was half expecting someone to bring that up.
    nope , based on a constant misspelling of my surname by a guy I used to work with years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Found this on Irish Independent website

http://www.independent.ie/education/the-irish-question-1199565.html

Extract from the webpage:
    I could've sworn his daughter had a different name.... Or else I've got a horrible memory from about 10 years ago.

Not at all relevant I know :D

I remember last time I was down in Dingle(I'm not calling it the stupid new name) they couldn't wait for this new school to be built.

Advertisement