Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help connecting 360 controller to PC

• 16-10-2007 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some help connecting a 360 controller to my PC. I am running windows XP Service Pack 2.

I bought a wireless 360 controller which came with a wireless receiver to connect it to the PC, it's all made by Microsoft so it's fully legit.

When I put the software CD into the PC to install the "drivers", everything went fine untill the very end, when after it had completed an error popped up saying something like "an unknown error has occured so the setup cannot be completed."

Now whenever I open the installed program, "Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessories Status", it crashes. And needless to say the PC isn't picking up the controller. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it a few times and it never works.

Help anyone? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

you might have better luck posting this in operating systems/windows.

it's not really a 360 issue.
    anyway, have you tried to uninstall/reinstall the driver software?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭meanpeoplesuck

Thanks, I've posted the thread in that forum now so if this is too off topic here it can be closed.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling and it hasn't worked. But there's no actual "uninstall" option so I had to do it a messy way by deleting all the files and god knows if I actually missed a few files somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

somtimes CD come with very old/flakey drivers.

Is it possible to download the most recent version of the drivers and try and install them?

are you logged into windows as administrator?

if not try this and try and install under a different profile and see does it solve it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling and it hasn't worked. But there's no actual "uninstall" option so I had to do it a messy way by deleting all the files and god knows if I actually missed a few files somewhere.
    Yikes. You might be better doing a system restore. If you don't uninstall it properly it won't reinstall proper. In XP you have "restore points" where the computer resets itself to the state it was at that point in time. You don't lose any documents you have created, but any software installed in the meantime disappears.

If you don't set a "restore point" manually I think XP sets one at intervals itself. Check your XP help for details.

Yeah I've downloaded a couple of versions of the software online.

By a couple of versions I mean the most recent version and an older version just to see if it would work.

I've tried a few things now and am a bit confused as to where I stand, what I really need to do is 100% wipe my PC of any trace of this software/controllers or anything and start from total scratch so I can be talked through it properly. But I dunno if that's possible. :o

Also this profile that I'm on is the administrator one, I'll make a new one and see if i can install anything

Edit : I'll do a system restore now and go back like a week to make sure nothings left of it!

Edit 2 : Ok I did a system restore back to before I ever installed any of this 360 controller software. However after the restore the program is still there! Restoring the system hasn't gotten rid of it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

You should be able to remove the software from the add/remove programs in control panel.
    It is listed as Xbox 360 acessories

It's still in my Start > Programs menu, but doesn't show up when I go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs.

And it still opens when I click on it in the start menu so it's not like there's just an old menu left behind...

This is what is currently happening when I click into the software. I click for help like it prompts me to, the help window opens, and then the program crashes.

error1ln7.th.jpg

This is of course the software I installed yesterday and I can't seem to get rid of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Edit 2 : Ok I did a system restore back to before I ever installed any of this 360 controller software. However after the restore the program is still there! Restoring the system hasn't gotten rid of it...
    Okay that's odd indeed.

What OS are you using? Is that a mac or some sort of Mac OS emulator?
    I know nowt about mac stuff I'm afraid.

Ha I only realised now how misleading the screen could be!

It's just windows but with one of those theme things added on, so it changes the menus and things to look a bit more mac-ish. It's XP SP 2 though so it should behave the same as normal windows (dunno if thats a good or bad thing :p)

Advertisement