Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Language in Stormount and SF

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

djpbarry wrote: »
    That is not what I was doing. I was drawing similarities between speaking Polish in Ireland and speaking Irish in the UK.

But part of Ireland is in the UK do you have an objection to speaking welsh or Scots gaelic in the UK
    And bar something has happened in the last week that I am completely unaware of part of Poland is not in Ireland polish people are in Ireland they are not in Poland which is also in Ireland. It is a completely different scenario these are not Irish people who have emigrated to the UK demanding to speak Irish in a UK parliament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

Speaking a language to anyone who doesn't understand is either secretive, rude or provocative. I've used Irish in all of these ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Speaking a language to anyone who doesn't understand is either secretive, rude or provocative. I've used Irish in all of these ways.

Or just using your language it does not have to be any of these.

One its not secretive as they are speaking in a parliament
    Two Its no more rude than trying to prevent someone speaking their own language
    Three if Unionist see the use of the Irish language as provocative it suggests that we are along way from embracing our differences and living in harmony, if they expect respect for their beliefs and culture it is hardly asking to much for the same back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Voipjunkie wrote: »
    do you have an objection to speaking welsh or Scots gaelic in the UK

Actually yes I do.

Not an objection to the language, but just on speaking it in the presence of non-speakers. What if half the people on this thread were arguing as Gaeilge?

Why not speak in a language that both parties understand so you can maximize understanding and parliamentary time.

In the - statistically remote - event of me voting for a nationalist, I would be prefer them to represent me as efficiently as possible; speaking Irish or English would not be high on my list of concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jack300

stovelid wrote: »
    I hope you're not insisting - in English - on the title 'Amhrán na bhFiann'.

or do you mean 'Ireland's Call'? :)

if the poster called CSK point was that you were trying to create a situation where people were damned if they did danmed if they didn't you have just proved the point. if CSK was to insist in the irish language on using the actual name for the the national anthem you would be berate him for bad manners, ignorance trying to make a specious political point etc etc all the things you have repeated on this thread. the fact that he addressed the question in english and you are trying to twist it to make some specious point of your own well proves CSK's point.

the irish national anthem is amhran na bhfiann as put out in the constitution. the soldiers song is not the anthem but a different song sung in english. the national anthem happens to be the irish chorus of the soldiers song but they are not the same.

as for the main question i would not see a problem with speaking irish. the welsh parliament use welsh alot of the time and its perfectly acceptable. i don't think those in northern ireland want to speak irish all the time just want to be allowed express their culture which was trodden on for practically all the existence of northern ireland. being allowed to express ones culture and identity is precisely what i understand the good friday agreement was to ensure. that aggreement was voted for by the majority of people in ireland was it not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Jack300 wrote: »
    if the poster called CSK point was that you were trying to create a situation where people were damned if they did danmed if they didn't you have just proved the point. if CSK was to insist in the irish language on using the actual name for the the national anthem you would be berate him for bad manners, ignorance trying to make a specious political point etc etc all the things you have repeated on this thread. the fact that he addressed the question in english and you are trying to twist it to make some specious point of your own well proves CSK's point.

Actually it was a joke, evidenced by the smiley.

The name Amhrán na bhFiann is pretty well known to Irish people, even those who don't have Irish.

It seemed very obvious that Arthur was referring to the national anthem when he mentioned 'Solders Song'.

I felt there was little need to belittle (and then ignore) his contribution on a point of reference.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Cheapaim go bhfuil sé in am críoch a chur ar an gcomhrá seo.

(Do you see what I did there?)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement