Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent relief, landlord's PPS number??

Options
  • 16-10-2007 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

Folks,

my company are paying rent here in the big smoke and they tell me i can also claim rent relieft, but the form on the revenue for this wants the landlords pps number.

i cant imagine him giving me this, would they hammer him for tax or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

If he's unregistered, then he might not want to give it to you. But you can't hide from the taxman, if he won't give it up just send in the application with a note saying you couldn't obtain it.

If he is registered he won't have a problem giving it to you. If he's unregistered then he may well get hit for a big fine. You can check if your address is on the register database on the PRTB site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Yeah pretty much - it's quite simple economics

The government don't mind giving you back a couple of hundred in rent each year - as long as you point out your landlord who may or may not be paying tax and might have to cough up a few thousand.

Good idea I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

All you need is a name and address, and they will sort it out for you. Is it owner-occupier by any chance, as if so, he does not need to be registered if with a certain threshold, but you can still claim tax back on what you have paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Now this might sound spiteful but it works.

If the landlord won’t give the PPS number then get them to give a reduction on your last months rent.
    You should be able to get at least €300 off if you threaten them with the revenue adn you've been there for at least a year

Then when you have completely moved out and have your deposit back, send in the rent relief form and claim your allowance.
    So you get your allowance plus the money you negotiated.

Everyone wins but the landlord and if they were tax compliant this would never have happened.

I’ve done and know several people have done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

Are you sure you can claim rent relief if you are not personally paying the rent yourself? It sounds to me like the OP is receiving a benefit-in-kind from their company so I don't see why they would get relief on that. Maybe I'm missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Not sure whats the story exactly, I was told i could get relief. I have not worked for a year.

I can just fill in the form and not put down the landlords pps and tell him squat??¬!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

legs11 wrote: »
    I can just fill in the form and not put down the landlords pps and tell him squat??¬!
    Yes, if you're entitled to it Revenue will still process the claim without that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

micmclo wrote: »
    Now this might sound spiteful but it works.

Yes it is, congrats, you are helping to keep ripoff ireland going...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

OP, if the company are paying your rent then you should be taxed for benefit in kind and you can also claim your tax relief. If you are not being charged BIK, the revenue will catch you with you at some stage and back date it. Your landlord might have to declare that the company pays him not you and that's how they will find out about your BIK. They don't miss a trick and nothing gets passed them.

I'm in a similar situation with VHI, the company pays, I am taxed BIK but I can claim tax relief on it. It seems silly to pay the tax and then get it back again but that's how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

legs11 wrote: »
    Not sure whats the story exactly, I was told i could get relief. I have not worked for a year.

Rent relief is tax relief relating to rent paid. It is applied in the form of tax credits for the current tax year and a cheque if the rent paid relates to previous tax years. If you haven't worked then i assume you haven't paid tax in which case you are not entitled to rent relief for that period of time.

Agree with 'How Strange' though - even if you were paying tax i'm not sure you are entitled to claim anything as you haven't actually paid the rent yourself.

daveirl wrote: »

Well in my opinion, ppl should give each other a bit of a break, The threshold for and owner occupier not to have to pay tax on earnings from renters is totally out of touch with nowerdays Mortgage repayments. I know there are many ways of looking at this... but in my fantasy world it make me sad to see comments not to mind behavour like that.. Seems very sharp..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

im not sure if the OP needs to pay BIK on this, altho i havent come across it before. He's not entitled to claim rent relief as he's not paying rent. Claiming it would have nasty consequences should he be caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

slightly off topic but I think you have to pay BIK on anything you get from your employer apart from salary and pension contribution so even if you have a work phone and use it for private calls then that should be regarded as BIK. Not sure how they would calculate it though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

slightly off topic but I think you have to pay BIK on anything you get from your employer apart from salary and pension contribution so even if you have a work phone and use it for private calls then that should be regarded as BIK. Not sure how they would calculate it though!

not completely true. Certain items are exempt. anything related to e-commerce for example. (mobile phones and calls, internet etc)

Similarly you dont pay BIK on other expenses such as accommodation. however for most of the time that relates to short term hotel visits which dont constitute the home residence. (hence why im not sure if the OP's scenario falls into BIK category.)

daveirl wrote: »

You may be right, though Im not entirely sure, Can you explain? Surely you dont mean Stamp duty?

Probably off topic not fair to the OP, So no worries if you agree its off topic and dont post back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

delop wrote: »
    Yes it is, congrats, you are helping to keep ripoff ireland going...

A landlord is claiming mortgage interest relief which every taxpayer, even renters pay for.
    The rent relief isn't much, in fact it's pretty misreable compared to all the tax reliefs that a homeowner can avail of.

So imo, a tax-dodging landlord is the lowest of the low, especially as they are trying to deny rent relief to renters, most of whom aren't rich. Students and young workers as a example.

My post may have seen spiteful but tenants have very little protection against dodgy landlords.
    Believe me, most people have meet a dodgy landlord at some stage.

But that's ok, why don't all renters give their landlords a break :rolleyes:.
    I'm feeling sorry for my millionaire landlord right now

Sorry for going offtopic OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If the OP is having his rent paid by an employer, and there isn't some special reason (like his being away from home for work) he is due to pay BIK. Otherwise everyone would get their employers to pay their rent out of their before-tax earnings.

If there is some special reason, then he isn't entitled to relief and neither is his employer, because his employer has already claimed the whole rent as a deductible business expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

delop wrote: »
    Well in my opinion, ppl should give each other a bit of a break, The threshold for and owner occupier not to have to pay tax on earnings from renters is totally out of touch with nowerdays Mortgage repayments.
    Owner occupiers can earn €7,620 in rent tax free every year. In addition, they can get mortgage interest relief of up to €16,000(?) per couple.

Even with an expensive enough mortgage, thats half the mortgage paid by other people. The is no property or wealth taxes and then when they sell the house, they pay no Capital Gains tax.

I think people have a big enough break as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RonCon

How exactly do they calculate how much relief you can claim back? Say if you pay €4500 in rent throughout the year, how much could one expect to be able to claim back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

I have had tenants threaten to report me to the taxman. They have always been wrong as I don't own them and make sure they are given the forms at the start of each year. I simple threaten to report them to the TV licence inspector which normally shuts them up. Tax evasion is tax evasion as far as I am concerned.

OP You don't need their PPSN you don't really need their address either as the property address will do.

BIK is applicable on accommodation but only when applied as the persons residence hence hotels stays are exempt.

Advertisement