Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I save my IP address??

Options
  • 16-10-2007 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I recenty acquired an Acer 5633wlmi laptop with windows Vista.
    I had trouble connecting to internet then discovered that i had to enter my IP settings manually. This i did and i gained access to the net. Subsequently however I have to go through this process every 3rd or 4th time i want to use the net. Does any one out there now how to save my IP settings so i dont have to do this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Generally speaking, you should never have to enter your IP address manually, the system should pick it up automatically. And even at that, once you enter the IP address it should save it automatically.

Moved from laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 freddy15

tom dunne wrote: »
    Generally speaking, you should never have to enter your IP address manually, the system should pick it up automatically. And even at that, once you enter the IP address it should save it automatically.

cheers tom, but any suggestions as to why its not saving automatically?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Where do you enter the IP? How do you access the net? What do you click on?

Are you set to get DHCP address? Who's your ISP? Eircom? NTL?

biko wrote: »
    Where do you enter the IP? How do you access the net? What do you click on?

Are you set to get DHCP address? Who's your ISP? Eircom? NTL?

Here's what I do:

I go into Network connections, click on Local Area Connection,then properties, click on internet protocol version 4, where i have to enter my IP address etc.

I am with Irish broadband, fixed broadband, not wireless.

I'm sorry, but am not too well up on these matters, what is DHCP address?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Called "Automatic" in XP.
    If it's DHCP (=automatic) then the ISP (IBB) set it automatically & remotely.
    If it's manual, then you set it once and it remembers it. That is normally on small in house networks (LAN), rarely ever the Internet.

If you have some other scenario then your XP setup is a little strange.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    Called "Automatic" in XP.
    If it's DHCP (=automatic) then the ISP (IBB) set it automatically & remotely.
    If it's manual, then you set it once and it remembers it. That is normally on small in house networks (LAN), rarely ever the Internet.

If you have some other scenario then your XP setup is a little strange.

is vista a similar set up to xp or is there much difference at all as it is vista i have

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try ticking the box for Automatic/DHCP and reboot PC and you need, also the router.
    Most, if not all, Internet Service Providers (ISP) will supply you with an automatic address that changes every time (kinda) you log on to internet.

You can also ring them, should be a quick fix once you have a tech on the phone.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If it's Irish Broadband DSL then your modem will likely be a router and your PC will have a local IP address. Setting to automatic should work and you'll have something like 192.168.1.2 as your address. The WAN address will be assigned to the router and you won't be able to change this.

What IP address do you enter when you set it up manually?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

If you have Irish Broadband Breeze, without a router (ie: you plug directly into the little box with the power cord), then you need to set the IP address manually.
    Its a Static IP, assigned per user at installation time.
    Setting to Automatic/DHCP will not work on Breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

freddy15 wrote: »
    is vista a similar set up to xp or is there much difference at all as it is vista i have

Identical but more broken. The Dutch Consumer association says Vista users should be allowed a free upgrade to XP.

If it doesn't remember the IP, then the security permissions of you user account are wrong or it is setup incorrectly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement