Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen/Utility Appliances

Options
  • 16-10-2007 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, I am currently in the process of purchasing my kitchen/utility appliances (oven, fridge, washing machine, etc).

I have been quoted the following for my appliances:
    Whirlpool AKP201single oven BK (A rated)€309
    Whirlpool AKM613B/A Energy Rated Ceramic Hob €295
    Whirlpool ART 471 FridgeFreezer (A Energy rated)€499
    Whirlpool ADG 7460 Fully Integrated dishwasher (A rated)€469
    Whirlpool AWOD5306(1200, 6kg) A rated Washing Machine €409
    Whirlpool AWZ3513 C Rated Energy drier €279
    Whirlpool AMW410 Built in Microwave (A rated) €329

Can anybody advise me on the following:
    1.Can you recommened best elecrtical provider in terms of price in the Roscommon town/Athlone town/Ballinasloe area
    2.Do they normally knock off 10% when buying in bulk
    3. Any thoughts on vented vs condensing drier and what should i be looking for in an oven(i have room for a single oven only)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Moved to Gardening/DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

there are a few retailers in tullamore if that helps ,they deliver to your area -what you should do is go into them and show them your quoted prices and see if they can better them -did electrical and expert are in tullamore and harvey norman and expert are in mullingar as far as i know -get quotes off them all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If there's a DID near you try there, the service is very good. I don't know about discounts but if you have any kind of insurance policy with AXA you'll get your extended warranty on the appliances for free (we did only a few weeks ago). You just need to give them the policy number.
    I've never heard anything good about condenser dryers, anyone I know who had them had problems. My vented ones lasted years.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Would you conside buying online?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

This site might help offer some advice on white goods.

A common thing in mid to high end ovens is "stay clean" liners. These are supposed to make the oven easier cleaned.

As for dryer, if it's possible to put in a vent pipe (ie dryer will be near outside wall), then go for vented. Cheaper and generally less hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Whirlpool are nothing but s hit. They will break after a year.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Indeed, I'd presume it's the 8 year parts warranty that sway people in that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,101 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Parts warranty is all very well, but what is their callout charge to diagnose and their hourly labour charge to fit? There's no guarantee (sorry) that even with free parts, a repair a few years down the line will be economic.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

Whirlpool are nothing but s hit. They will break after a year.
    ninja900 wrote: »
    Parts warranty is all very well, but what is their callout charge to diagnose and their hourly labour charge to fit? There's no guarantee (sorry) that even with free parts, a repair a few years down the line will be economic.

do either of ye live in an area with lime in the water, it generally effects how machines run. Also most "breakdowns" are when people havent cleaned their filters, and the water cant drain out. But my personal favourite was when our little fingers stuck a sweet wrapper down the back of the detergent drawer and the water came pouring out the front of the machine instead of into it, Damn did that take me a while to figure out, but she has done it three times now, and i havent had to call out repair man yet, machines 2 years old and on the go twice a day thanks to the state of my garden.,

Anyway, Cunnings, everyone has their own tastes on freestanding versus integrated, but if you are open minded my advise would be to stay away from integrated altogether, We have a black free standing oven, fridge, new dishwasher and the kitchen units have black handles, it does look really nice. everyone i know with an integrated dishwasher has had the world of trouble when it came to repairs, mine is a zanussi A rated., 2 weeks old, came with a lovely internal light, a display on the outside that tells me how many minutes left in the wash and if it is washing or drying, or needs salt or rinse aid and the best thing is that the upper basket is height adjustable so that tall plates or big saucepans dont stop the thing swinging around. Im quite proud of my new purchase which i got for 309 delivered. and you should get a bog standard microwave for about 100, so on those two you would save about 300 alone. When i went shopping i went with my mam dad, partner and sisters and we pursuaded salesman into 12% plus got a free iron.

We got the kitchen fitters to drill the hole for the vent for the tumble dryer, they have a special tool for the job, fitted the white cover on the outside as well, oh try and get your hob on external wall, as extractor fan doesnt have far to pull steam out so it works better and you can buy a cheaper model, though that depends a bit on if you have wooden canopy, pull out or state of the art stainless steel wish i could afford but could never keep clean canopy,

ramble over, if you can stand looking at your applicances go free standing, keep them the same colour and you get better appliances for your buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

absolutely nothing wrong with integrated appliances once they are fit correctly in the first place ,and they are more often built to a better spec than freestanding models ,hence the price difference -

heres the sad fact of life -no manufacturer makes appliances to last anymore -washing machines have a shelf life of 5 years with most developing a major fault after 3 -frigdes as well are now mostly made of plastic trimmed with a light metal ,its like a giant tupperware box being cooled -

thats the reality of appliances nowadays with most people buying for astetics rather than performance ,they all need silver so the kitchen will look well etc ,with no regard for the actual performance of the appliance ,hotpoint were the first company to push for this market and they have cleaned up in the past ten years ,but that is changing now as people realise there products are dirt ,look lovely but still dirt (actually about 6 years ago they were offering sales staff double commission if they pushed thier products ahead of others )

the best on the market at the moment is miele bosch etc ,but to many people they are not pleaseing to the eye ,plus they are double the price but i think (open to correction on this)miele offer a full parts and labour gaurantee so you dont have to pay labour or call out charges for up to eight years ?

at the end of the day no salesstaff will tell you that a product is dirt if you are trying to fit out your kitchen ,they would be mad to turn away a few grand and lessen their commission so its up to consumers to do thier own research first ,everything you will ever buy is marketed to you focussing on the good points ,when did you ever see an ad for something telling you the negatives?
    if you know an engineer ask them thier opinion on the different brands as they have nothing to gain from you as your not buying from them ,they should know all the brands faults as they should have worked on them or at least know the horror stories -i hope this has enlightened a few people but the main thing is never take the word of a salesman as he is trained by the different manufacturers in sales and closing techniqes to make you part with your cash .seek advice

• Advertisement
Advertisement