Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW Interior cleaner

Options
  • 16-10-2007 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I have a 2000 BMW with a light grey interior. My problem is that the door handles etc are grubby especially where the leather effect material is. Also there are a few marks on the seats like droplet marks from where I have spilled water or a drop of polish...Any ideas on a good cleaning product for interior and any help with cleaning the door cards?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Try some sort of cleaning product.

BTW, could you please tell me what kind of car you drive again, I didn't get you the first two times. You should be careful, because using a cleaning agent for a Toyota could destroy your interior and your reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Try some sort of cleaning product.

BTW, could you please tell me what kind of car you drive again, I didn't get you the first two times. You should be careful, because using a cleaning agent for a Toyota could destroy your interior and your reputation.

Don't be a smartass, you're contributing nothing worthwhile to the thread.

To the OP, leather is extremely resilient, so try a bucket of soapy water to begin with, and progress to more intensive products. Any Motor Factors can sell you products to clean, and renew leather, I use Meguiars products, but Turtle Wax, and Autogylm are also very good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pacino

The door card etc are a leather material but the seats are not leather, they are cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Is it a cloth interior or a leather interior? I normally used Autoglym interior cleaner on cloth - they do a leather cleaner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

pacino, I'm only being a smart arse. My suggestion would be to start with slightly soapy water and loads of elbow grease & then use Pitstop interior cleaner to polish it up nicely. I would use a slightly damp cloth on the fabric also & resort to specific products only if I have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pacino

Thanks for the replies...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

LOL, typical BMW, cloth interior and leather 'effect' door cars.

Anyway, Autoglym leather cleaner will work just as well on artificial leather, or plastic as I like to call it... For a shiny finish, try Son-Of-A-Gun. * Note, do NOT put Son-Of-A-Gun on the steering wheel, gear stick, handbrake or foot pedals.

As for the cloth, I am not 100% sure, but whatever you get, test it in a discreet area first. Also, be careful that it isn't too good, because if you end up with a really clean patch, you'll have a whole lotta work getting the whole lot back to that colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Simonize is the best leather cleaner/carer you can get. Conditions it nicely. Best use is seen on seats.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

pacino wrote: »
    I have a 2000 BMW with a light grey interior. My problem is that the door handles etc are grubby especially where the leather effect material is. Also there are a few marks on the seats like droplet marks from where I have spilled water or a drop of polish...Any ideas on a good cleaning product for interior and any help with cleaning the door cards?.

I got this stuff and it's fantastic for cleaning floor mats, carpet and seat upholstrey - it'll defo get rid of the drop marks:

http://www.amazon.com/STP-Stuff-Multi-Purpose-Cleaner-aerosol/dp/B0009PCPNQ

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Elessar wrote: »
    Simonize is the best leather cleaner/carer you can get. Conditions it nicely. Best use is seen on seats.

not much good if the car has no leather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

colm_mcm wrote: »
    not much good if the car has no leather.
    pacino wrote: »
    The door card etc are a leather material

Why hello there, fourth post

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Elessar wrote: »
    Why hello there, fourth post
    pacino wrote:
    the door handles etc are grubby especially where the leather effect material is

You don't need to condition plastic AFAIK !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Leatherique, Lexol or Gliptone are best for leather, although as mentioned earlier leather cleaners work on those leather look/vinyl door cards. An All purpose cleaner would work best though.

All types of plastics, vinyl, rubber seals etc need to be conditioned & protected if they are in an area susceptible to UV light. Otherwise it will result in colour fading at the very least and brittleness or cracking in harder plastics, further down the line.

Advertisement