Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parmesan and other annoyances

• 16-10-2007 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else here get annoyed when a restaurant advertises a dish as Vegetarian and then proceed to put paresan or such non-vegetarian food stuffs on your dinner?

I'm not vegan, but i certainly don't want to eat something that comes from a dead animal, as parmesan does.

Other examples include Chop sueys in Chinese restaurants. Again, often listed in the menu as vegetarian, but practically all are made with Oyster sauce.

Anyone else get annoyed with this sort of ignorance/lack of understanding?

k.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

kraggy wrote:
    I'm not vegan, but i certainly don't want to eat something that comes from a dead animal, as parmesan does.

Explain to me how you can milk a dead cow, please :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Wait, what... parmesan from a dead cow?!

Are you worried that the cow dies at some stage in its life? Are you looking for immortal cow-cheese?!

I don't think they are advertising any of these dishes as "vegan" - they're vegetarian ie. don't contain meat. Parmesan is not a meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Parmesan contains animal rennet, not vegetarian rennet.

Scroll down to "modern method" in this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rennet

So it is :)

Never knew that. Thank you so much for educating me today, kraggy.

Ah well, just tell the Maître D' to leave yours aside and don't worry, it won't be wasted: I loves me parmesan :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Newaglish wrote: »
    Wait, what... parmesan from a dead cow?!

Are you worried that the cow dies at some stage in its life? Are you looking for immortal cow-cheese?!

I don't think they are advertising any of these dishes as "vegan" - they're vegetarian ie. don't contain meat. Parmesan is not a meat.

Please don't post in a thread if you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Parmesan, like lots of other cheeses, has got rennet in it, which is basically the inner linings of a calf's stomach. This is not vegetarian as it comes from a dead animal

• Advertisement

Nature Boy wrote: »
    Please don't post in a thread if you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

This is a public Forum, not a biochem lab or a lecture.

Mind the step when you climb down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

If I might bring the thread somewhere relevant... Pecorino cheese is very similar to Parmesan but far easier to source with veg rennet. IMHO it's a nicer cheese too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

I sometimes wish i lived in england as life as a vegitarian there is so much more easier. its tough for me and my wife to eat out. as indians we can cook most of the food that they make in Govindas and my wife doesnt like the smell of hing in there.

Advertisement