Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are road tyres worth it?

Options
  • 16-10-2007 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am the proud owner of a ten year old Raleigh mountain bike and to be honest I don't have the money for a good road bike though the bike is my main method of transport up and down to college (about 8 miles a day).

I was quoted €40 for road tyres and the fitting of them to the bike and I am wondering if it is worth it...

Do they really make it easier to pedal along or is just if your going pretty fast and have a modern and light bike as it is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭DITTKD

Totally worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Fabio

€40 won't break the bank anyway sher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Yeah, my old MTB was a joy to cycle on the roads with road tyres. If you're running knobblies at the minute you'll love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

you'll feel the difference all right, but get ones with a bit of puncture resistance. i use continental gator skinz on my bike and i really like them.

might need a bit more rubber on the road when it gets frosty out there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

I got a set of puncture resistant slicks from wiggle for my MB last week and it is a world off difference

Came out an 40 delivered with 2 new tubes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Worth it- go for slicks, not sure if you meant slicks by road tyre. also get liners or punture proof ones. It might cost €20 extra for decent ones, but if you were stuck in the rain on the way to work you would probably pay a magic fairy €20 to fix your puncture instantly;)- and as you are quoting fitting I am presuming you might not be into bike/puncture repair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Fabio

I try not to get myself too much into it cos if I did I'd have no time for anything else!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

On my mountain bike (which never goes off-road) I have Continental Sport Contact 26x1.3 (max 85psi) on the front and Specialized Nimbus Armadillo 26x1.5 (max 80psi) on the back. Expensive at around 30 euro each but fast and good puncture resistance.

I got my first Nimbus puncture. They are only 2 months old. A nice long triangle of glass went through a thick part of the tyre. I doubt any tyre would have prevented that puncture. I didn't need a basin of water to find the hole. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

I got fatboy slicks a few weeks ago for my mtb and I dont have any intention of going back to fat tyres anytime soon.. they make the bike much easier to ride and way way faster, I can just about keep up with a friend on a road bike.. only thing is you do tend to feel all the bumps on the road at a pretty high psi but it dosent bother me at all, I also find I can keep going way longer without getting tired on the slick tyres when compared to the fat ones, I asked this question here myself before, you can read that thread here ... there is some pretty good advice there too, these are the tyres I bought and they have been perfect so far, dont forget you will probably need new tubes too..

ab

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

I got a set of puncture resistant slicks from wiggle for my MB last week and it is a world off difference

Came out an 40 delivered with 2 new tubes

Do wiggle actually post to Ireland now ? They never used to !

Zorba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Zorba wrote: »
    Do wiggle actually post to Ireland now ? They never used to !

Zorba

yep, i got my tyres from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Yes just checked their website and your right, only problem is Probikekit are cheaper for the tyres i use.

Advertisement