Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BAFTA Awards (wtf?)

Options
  • 16-10-2007 12:59pm
    Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The PC World sponsored BAFTA award shortlist is up at the address below. Its a shame there is no Atari Jaguar option, as the list of games is insane. Who picked this list? Do they even play games? How much was paid more likely to get included?

Website is here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

most [if not all] of the judges are exectuives from various parts of the uk games industry..

agree its a joke..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can think of oover 20 games I'd rate higher than any of those games. Some of them (Wii play I'm looking at you) are just pure cack. No Bioshock? No God of War 2? Even no Halo 3 which I'd prefer to any of those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I can think of oover 20 games I'd rate higher than any of those games. Some of them (Wii play I'm looking at you) are just pure cack. No Bioshock? No God of War 2? Even no Halo 3 which I'd prefer to any of those games.
    Wii Play.....

Perhaps they are doing it for teh epix lulz?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

As long as Gears of War doesn't win it ....I think it's the most over rated game I've ever played...it was crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Thats a really bad list. Gears probably deserves to be there but that's about it. Wheres Zelda??? Bioshock? Rainbow 6: Vegas?? What about some Ds games?

Is it only games that were developed in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    ... Rainbow 6: Vegas?? ...

Um, really?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Maybe its an award for most average game of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Seems like they simply picked high selling games from various platforms.

Rather pointless way of awarding quality. Imagine if the BAFTAs were made up of only the biggest box office movies.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

GRANT DEAN
    Development Manager, Eidos

PAUL JACKSON
    Director General, ELSPA

IAN LIVINGSTONE OBE
    Product Acquisition Director, Eidos

ANDY NUTTALL
    Games Development Manager, Sky

MARTIN WRIGHT
    Director of Gamelab London and CEO of Shoreditch Consortium Ltd.

http://www.bafta.org/site/page64.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

What the bloody hell? Resistance? Fifa? Play?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Some of the other BAFTA categories are even worse, I can't remember where the list is but games like CRYSIS are nominated despite not even being out...

Of that list, I voted for Vice City Stories. It and FM07 are the only ones in the list I could say are all that good, and I haven't played FM07 so can hardly vote for that :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

We love Katamari and Shadow of the Colossus lost out to Tomb Raider Legend in the best soundtrack category last year. No better indicator that the awards are a sham than that. Shadow of the Colossus even lost out in the best animation category last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Maximilian wrote: »
    Um, really?

That's one of the best FPS multiplayer games i have played. Great game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I think it's explained by the fact that you have to nominate your own games for the awards, which oddly enough costs a fair slice of cash, ergo the games nominated are those which have large marketing budgets.

I also remember reading something about the timing of nominations, I think it's for games released Oct 06-Sep 07 and you have to have nominated the games around six months ago. Which explains why there are a number of games which have not been released/ had not been released at the time of nomination.

All in all, it's a joke

Advertisement