Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GSXR 600 electric start

• 16-10-2007 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've got a problem with my bike and i'm hoping someone can help.

I've got a Suzuki GSXR600 K1. Lately the electric start button doesn't seem to be reliable. Kill switch is ON. Key turned on in ignition. Bike in Neutral. Clutch pulled in. Press the Start button and nothing (no sound, no nothing, was as if i hadn't even pushed the button). Bike starts eventually after several attempts with me turning everything off and back on. The most recent was the worst yet. Didn't think bike was going to start. After about 10 mins, gave up and put bike back in shed. (luckily, i was at home). When i was in the shed, gave it one last try and presto (worked). My only fear is that this will happen me when i'm not at home.

Anyone got any ideas what's wrong? Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

May sound obvious, but I assume the side stand is up?

If so, may be a faulty cut out switch on the side stand.

Edit: Actually that should not be a problem once the bike is in Neutral. Have you tried with choke on / off? If bike is cold, may need choke on. If bike is hot, choke may cause flooding...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

sounds like a faulty switch. Get a multimeter with continuity tester and check the switches until you find the faulty one. The sidestand on the suzuki can be down but the clutch must be in. You can start the bike in gear once the clutch is in so I'd say it's the clutch switch or the starter switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Squirt a bit of WD40 into the ignition switch and into the handlebar switches and starter button, this will drive out any moisture or dirt. It's worth doing this once or twice every winter.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

why didn't I think of WD40 first? If it were my bike it would be in bits at this point when some more intelligent person would point out why didn't I just use wd40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭dhev

Cheers lads for all the info. Will try the WD40 trick when i get a chance. Won't see the bike for another week, So hoping that works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

oops.. just posted bout wd40 in the other thread...
    one thing, each time u wash the bike spray some Silicone oil into each switch (not wd40 as it evaporates) and it wont happen again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Not sure if its in K1s but this can cause it too:

In the loom there is a 3-legged device ( actually 2 diodes back to back) . Its small , about 1cm x 1cm x 4mm . To make it even more fun to find , it sits in a small socket and is covered in tape. Its on the loom roughly halfway back the seat.
    It looks after part of the can't-ride-off-with-side-stand-down system.Anyway sometimes the legs of it corrode a little bit and can cause oddness like that

I've heard of that happening but if shouldn't prevent the bike starting if it's in neutral.

Advertisement