Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Magic!

• 16-10-2007 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭

I know theres a logical explaination but how is THIS done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭onechewy

I know theres a logical explaination but how is THIS done?

:eek: I did it 3 times and each time it was right! Very clever whatever the trick is..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

This is gonna bug me now! grr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

When you add the digits and take it from your original number the sum of the resultants will always be nine. The symbol for 9 changes nothing else.

It's very basic math.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

It doesn't matter which numbers you choose.

The symbol that the guy throws at you is always one of (finite list of) possible answers.

edit - or else that small pixelated mammal can actually read the essence of your soul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,894 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The little boll*x keeps gettin it spot on. That's quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Is it cheating to use a number from 1 - 9 with a 0 in front, eg '01' for the 2 numbers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

It's a maths trick :)

Choose any double-digit number and remember the result after doing the calculations. It's important that you remember the NUMBER you get when doing the trick again.

Example, take the number 10 - (1+0) = 9: You'll get some random symbol and be amazed :)

Now take another number 43 - (4+3) = 36: Now on the symbol map take note of your symbol but BEFORE clicking onwards, have a look at the symbol beside the number 9, I bet it's the same as taht beside number 36 ;)

Try the same for the number 81 - (8+1) = 72...I bet the symbols are the same. ;)

Am I psychic? No! It's the beauty of Mathematics :)

Clue: Have you noticed that in all the examples I cite, the result is a multiple of 9? That's what SetantaL meant to say ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It's always a multiple of nine.

Surely you've seen this trick before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Your answer is all ways a multiple of 9.

Do it again, see your answer, now see if the exact same symbol is beside, 9 18 27 etc.

Its a cheat, many numbers have the same symbol beside them, the non multiples of 9 are just distractions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Whoah alot of people answered at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

All answer = a multipliction of 9

etc up to 81.

God Bless Excel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

0 is also an answer.

You can use 01, 02, 03 etc, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i thought it was a good trick until people had to ruin it!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

prendy wrote: »
    i thought it was a good trick until people had to ruin it!:mad:

YEAH!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Good trick? Ruin? I'm surprised that 'oh it are a multiple of 9 lol' didn't enter everybody's head the second they saw 'pick a two-digit number'.

Also, johnnyrotten, how can you agree with prendy's 'ruin[ing]' when you aksed how the trick was done in the OP? I know there's a logical explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Aard wrote: »

Also, johnnyrotten, how can you agree with prendy's 'ruin[ing]' when you aksed how the trick was done in the OP? I know there's a logical explanation.

Its a bit of craic.
    This is the After Hours Forum after all;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

all numbers may be multiple of nine but it is still could be a random variant of 9, so there will be nine variants.

How the hell does it continue to get it right.

nanook wrote: »
    all numbers may be multiple of nine but it is still could be a random variant of 9, so there will be nine variants.

Take all the variants of the multiple of 9, write them down, now do the test again and look at the symbol beside each of those variants on the symbol map when it appears. ;)

See post number 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

nanook wrote:

I knew the maths trick before, but this gave me pause for a second, until i just noted down the symbols and tried again.

As has been said, every time the symbol for 9, 18, 27 36, etc all the way to 81 is the same. every time. However for each new round the symbols rotate, so all teh multiple of nine are assigned a new symbol.

First time they might all be an eye, second time they will all be a fish, say.

hoolio wrote: »
    I knew the maths trick before, but this gave me pause for a second, until i just noted down the symbols and tried again.

As has been said, every time the symbol for 9, 18, 27 36, etc all the way to 81 is the same. every time. However for each new round the symbols rotate, so all teh multiple of nine are assigned a new symbol.

Exactly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

hoolio wrote: »

ahhhhhhhhhhhh, thanks for that

Advertisement