Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda Zoom Zoom challenge in Mondello

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

Have to admit to being a little disappointed alright although I kinda knew it was too good to be true but hopefully the driver horses the cars around at least.
    At the race school, each driver gets individual tuition from an experienced instructor, can't imagine Mazda doing that for every invitee.
    Will be watching out for fellow boardies... :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Anan1 wrote: »
    You need a full license, i'm afraid. Mazda make cars, not karts.;)
    Coulda fooled me :p

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Just got the confirmation email!

and it says....

"Hot laps in the RX-8 and CX-7, agility tests in the Mazda2 and off-road driving in the BT-50 are amongst the surprises on hand to test your driving skills!"

So it seems we will get to Drive the cars! :D ..or that's whats being implied anyway

For any further questions it gives a name & number . .. Anyone wanna call just to be sure to be sure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

And here I was thinking I was the lucky one with competitions! :D

I clarified the day with Philip from Mazda about 20 minutes ago... Good news and bad I'm afraid.

Good: you will get to drive the cars/jeep etc

Agility - in a Mazda 2
    Road Testing - Mazda CX7
    Fast Laps - Mazda RX8 and Mazda 3MPS
    Offroad - Mazda BT50
    Fast Laps - Mazda MX5

Bad: there are 78 confirmed invites - within a 6 hour day including lunch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

allowing the public to drive a 3mps, is a bit like giving a loaded gun to an american teenager having a bad day in school...

• Advertisement

Táck wrote: »
    allowing the public to drive a 3mps, is a bit like giving a loaded gun to an american teenager having a bad day in school...

eh , no .

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Táck wrote: »
    i'd be very suprised if random members of the public and or employees and associated were allowed just horse them around mondello!

This was the case when I got to drive the stones off the 3.3L Brera two summers ago. albeit not on a track

Dont see why Mazda cant do it

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

See below.
    Just responding to your query re. hotlaps.

You as a driver will be driving the track in a range of our cars. You will be driving in convey with a safety car, but it will be at speed.

Secondly there will be hot laps where a pro-driver will drive you round the track to show the maximum abilities of the vehicles.

In addition there will be other driving modules such as agility tests and off road driving.

See you on Sunday,

Regards
    Richard

Richard Molloy

Wonder what "at speed" means, powersliding and drifting around the corners?? :D He also doesn't explicitly state that we'll be driving the RX-8 or Mazda3 MPS, just a range of cars

Edit - Have to say I am looking forward to the "hot" laps as the driver will probably be able to drive a lot quicker than I would, so it should make for a few interesting laps.
    thos wrote: »
    See below.
    Just responding to your query re. hotlaps.

You as a driver will be driving the track in a range of our cars. You will be driving in convey with a safety car, but it will be at speed.

Secondly there will be hot laps where a pro-driver will drive you round the track to show the maximum abilities of the vehicles.

In addition there will be other driving modules such as agility tests and off road driving.

See you on Sunday,

Regards
    Richard

Richard Molloy

With 78 confirmed invites in a 6 hr day , im not sure how much driving we'll each get to do.

I'm sure a few people will be left dissappointed :(

• Advertisement

C_Breeze wrote: »
    With 78 confirmed invites in a 6 hr day , im not sure how much driving we'll each get to do.

I'm sure a few people will be left dissappointed :(
    Yeh this marketing ploy could end up having a very negative effect for them!

well i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they know what they are doing and it has been organised properly.

The fact that you cant even bring one friend or family member is crap though

well i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they know what they are doing and it has been organised properly.

The fact that you cant even bring one friend or family member is crap though
    Yeh on the form I filled out it mentioned being able to bring a passenger along.....anyways, just had a look at Mazda.ie, and seems like the new CX-7 comes with the same 2.3 turbo from the 3 MPS, so that should be fun to drive too :D

fletch wrote: »
    Yeh on the form I filled out it mentioned being able to bring a passenger along.....anyways, just had a look at Mazda.ie, and seems like the new CX-7 comes with the same 2.3 turbo from the 3 MPS, so that should be fun to drive too :D

Yeah its the same lump out of the 6 MPS and 3 MPS .. im not sure if it is a de-tuned version but it has a much slower sprint and top speed. - Probably because of the extra weight though. Should be good fun anyway :)

I presume we don't need to print off the email that it is okay to arrive and they'll have our names, bit of a silly question maybe I know! :D
    Yeah its the same lump out of the 6 MPS and 3 MPS .. im not sure if it is a de-tuned version but it has a much slower sprint and top speed. - Probably because of the extra weight though. Should be good fun anyway :)
    260PS, 380Nm and a 0-60 of 8 seconds so I don't think it's detuned.

Well I think everyone will agree that it was a pretty amazing day. In the end, we got to drive all the cars, BT-50, Mazda2, Mazda5, CX-7, MX-5 and of course the RX-8 and Mazda3 MPS :D Oh and also Segways :)

Edit - Oh and really enjoyed the "hot" lap in the MX-5, spent most of it sideways :)

Edit 2 - Oh and to the Leon Cupra driver who hogged the middle lane on the N7 from the Kingswood Interchange to Naas, what the hell were you thinking!!!??? I am guessing that you are not on boards as I'm sure you should know better. Anyway if you are, care to explain your actions?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

Was a very cool day alright. Had a lot of fun really enjoyed it. Would have liked a bit more time on the track but overall as a taste of everything it was sweet.

The mazda 3 mps and rx-8 are really nice machines. Quite liked the cx-7 as well even though i think that class of car is a waste normally.

Also Segways FTW. We should all be going to work on them lol:cool:

I thought it was absolutely brilliant!.. you really got a taste of all the cars they had on offer and got a decent blast in the RX-8 and 3 MPS (the power & sound of that was amazing!) :D

I really enjoyed it and it was actually better than I had expected, very well organised overall!

Fletch was on my team for the day... fair play to him on the 'Cage challange' - very well executed! ;)

I thought it was absolutely brilliant!.. you really got a taste of all the cars they had on offer and got a decent blast in the RX-8 and 3 MPS (the power & sound of that was amazing!) :D

I really enjoyed it and it was actually better than I had expected, very well organised overall!

Fletch was on my team for the day... fair play to him on the 'Cage challange' - very well executed! ;)
    Thanks and well done yourself on the agility course, very smooth. (Fastest time of the day if I remember correctly :) )

I can't sleep now, everytime I close my eyes I'm driving around that track in my head! :D

great day alright. Was impressed by the cx7 aswell. That yoke really held the road well on the track. The MX5 was more fun to drive that the rx8 IMHO. although the hotlap in the Rx8 was savage. Off roading was class aswell, pity the course wasnt a bit longer though. Overall a great day.

• Advertisement

Yeah off-roading in the BT-50 was great too. The pick-ups were actually very capable as opposed to just a novelty! .. Got 85/100 there :D

90 for me but the other 2 with me got 95. I slipped off those blasted kerbs just as I was coming off them!!!!

sorry now but did anyone else find it strange that the two people that won prizes already owned Mazda's? I know there were a good few Mazda owners there on the day But the guy knew their occupation and everything. I never told anyone what I do for a living?

Not that I care, just wondering?

barryfitz wrote: »
    sorry now but did anyone else find it strange that the two people that won prizes already owned Mazda's? I know there were a good few Mazda owners there on the day But the guy knew their occupation and everything. I never told anyone what I do for a living?

Not that I care, just wondering?

whoops , yeah i actually got 95 there! (finger slipped on the keyboard)

I think you did tell them what you do for a living, it was part of the entry form on the net to select your occupation!

Yeah that was a bit weird alright but i doubt it really had anythin to do with it. Does anybody know what they won? and actually what basis they won on?

Oh yeah, I just went to the application form again and see that they do ask for your occupation. Fair enough. Nope dont know what they won, but I think they get to compete at another level. Which colour team were you in C_Breeze?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

argggg must crush the rising jealousy......

Sounds like it was a excellent day - would have loved to been invited.

grats to all who went.

That would be great getting to compete again! I wonder what the final prize will be as they were making it out to be something big anyway.

I was on the Blue team, which happened to have the based laid out schedule i think! What about you?

Triangle: did you enter the competition online?

White team FTW. Although I dont know what the win was :(:)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Triangle: did you enter the competition online?

Yeah - only applied on Wednesday, knew it was too late but thought i may as well anyways. Even tried to pull a few strings :D

Anyways, maybe they'll have it on again sometime if it was a huge success!!

• Advertisement

fletch wrote: »
    Edit 2 - Oh and to the Leon Cupra driver who hogged the middle lane on the N7 from the Kingswood Interchange to Naas, what the hell were you thinking!!!??? I am guessing that you are not on boards as I'm sure you should know better. Anyway if you are, care to explain your actions?? :confused:

Dont worry he was parked beside me ... i let the air out of his tyres before i left :D

Advertisement