Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Louth.

Options
  • 16-10-2007 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all,
    Ive recently landed a job in Clougher head starting in two weeks seems ive never set foot in the county im in need of some advice if anyone can help me?

Firstly dont know if there is any local newspapers or anything that runs ads for rooms to let? Ive been on daft and sites like that but its all full houses which i cant afford just yet. Here in Galway we have the Advertiser anything like this?

Secondly can anyone suggest any good or more importantly dodge areas to stay away from? i cant decide on living in Dundalk or out in Clougher.

Any help is welcome,
    Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Congratulations on the new job first of all.

I'm surprised there is nothing on daft but anyway..

Is it shift work? Do you drive? If you don't then Drogheda or Clougherhead would be the places you need to be looking at for accommodation. Clougherhead is a small town with a population of several thousand, couple of pubs, couple of shops etc.. Drogheda is now a city with a population in excess of 40,000 I think, pubs, clubs restaurants etc... Dundalk is a large town equivalent to Drogheda. Which type of environment do you want to live in, small village/town or a large town/city?

For accommodation in Drogheda or Clougherhead you could try the Drogheda Independant. For accommodation in Dundalk you could try The Argus or the Dundalk Democrat. You may need to contact the papers and ask for a copy to be sent out, I don't know if their listings are on the web. Does one of the national broad-sheets do an accommodation supplement on a Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

You could also try the Drogheda Leader, a free paper delivered to households in the area every week. There are some ads there for "rooms to let". Their phone number is 041 9836100 if you wanted to ask them for a copy to be sent to you. (they have a website, but it's technical and advertising information only, not the paper itself).

You could look at Termonfeckin, which is about 5 miles from Drogheda on the way to Clogherhead so might be a nice compromise (you'd probably need to drive though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Dundalk and Drogheda are identical but house/rent prices would be more expensive in Drogheda as it is closer to Dublin.

Bit odd you didnt find anything on daft.ie because in IMO it would be the best.

But if you want to look in Dundalk there are two free papers Dundalk Extra and Dundalk Advertiser.

I have the number of he Dundalk Extra in my phone if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

Yep, congrats on the job, I would say that Dundalk and Drogheda are NOT the same and are poles apart in a cultural sense. A friend of mine owns a Chinese takeaway in both towns, same menu. The average spend per customer in Drogheda is €17 and Dundalk is €11. Aprox 25% of Drogheda is Dubs and 10% non nationals. Dundalk much less so in terms of newcomers. I have lived in both towns and Drogheda is much more cosmopolitan compared to Dundalk. The best place for rentals is the Drogheda Leader or maybe try the Independent. In Dundalk The Argus or Democrat. Dundalk rentals are much cheaper mind you, so if budget counts try Dundalk, if nice restaurants and social scene matter its got to be Drogheda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Dundalk is a better town to live in, but Drogheda is closer. You could try Dunleer but that'd be crap I'd say, no matter what the rent was.

• Advertisement

I must disagree with the comment that Dundalk is a better town than Drogheda. That depends on what you require. Sure Dundalk has a third level college and is close to the mountains of Mourne, Horse racing stadium,
    a better court house, but it's really hard to add to that.(please do).
    Drogheda has four swimming pools, three golf courses, excellent beaches for walking, horse riding, two bowling alleys, a multitude of tennis courts and gyms, an active arts centre. theatre, a better soccer team. a much better hospital, better train links and as you point out its closer to Dublin and Clogher.
    If I may add IMHO I consider the night life and restaurants to be much better as well.
    Nice riverside Cafes and Restaurants. Am I mistaken? or has Dundalk really got more to offer than Drogheda these days. If so I'll move back, its cheaper for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

bottomdog wrote: »
    Drogheda has four swimming pools, three golf courses, excellent beaches for walking, horse riding, two bowling alleys, a multitude of tennis courts and gyms, an active arts centre. theatre, a better soccer team. a much better hospital,
    Dundalk has 3 swimming pools, two golf courses, one bowling alley, very good tennis courts and gyms. Hospital is not much better it is the better of the two and anyway Dundalk is getting a new private hospital. Dundalk has excellent facilities for sport.

I would agree that there is more dubs and non nationals than Dundalk has.

I'm from Ardee so I think it's fair to say I have can say without bias.

Dundalk is a nicer looking town and has more going for in due to Dermot Ahern I reckon. Dundalk has a good night life and you also don't have to contend with the Mah's Bah accent.

Mise-me-fein, the job recruitment adverts in the Drogheda newspapers that state 'Native English Speakers Only Need Apply' are aimed at all peoples that struggle with the English language. Along with non-nationals this of course includes the local people from Ardee who are unable to speak English despite being born in Ireland. Well, in fairness they do speak a form of English, An Example - (here-now-hay) means (Hold on a minute).
    Mahs Bahs indeed! - Be careful we are very sensitive.

I must admit that Ardee is apple-lute-ly gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Mise-me-fein, the job recruitment adverts in the Drogheda newspapers that state 'Native English Speakers Only Need Apply' are aimed at all peoples that struggle with the English language. Along with non-nationals this of course includes the local people from Ardee who are unable to speak English despite being born in Ireland. Well, in fairness they do speak a form of English, An Example - (here-now-hay) means (Hold on a minute).
    Or indeed people from Drogheda, born in Ireland, but whose faculties do not extend so far as that of an adequate grasp of the English language. It works for people from everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

eamoss wrote: »
    Dundalk has 3 swimming pools, two golf courses, one bowling alley, very good tennis courts and gyms. Hospital is not much better it is the better of the two and anyway Dundalk is getting a new private hospital. Dundalk has excellent facilities for sport.

Speaking of sport, don't forget Dundalk Ice Dome and the ice hockey team.

Of course Drogheda has the eircom League champions........:D

Look Drogheda is getting neglected a little bit compared to Dundalk. Dundalk gets more jobs and yeah they have a better cinema, the ice dome, a decent bowling place, dog and horse track......what does Drogheda have??? The Cement Road?

Drogheda is good to go out in though.

As for accents, ya can say what you like about other accents(but this will mean you have to speak using your Yello bah uh ro'ed accent). No one wants to have a thick Drogheda accent. It's the worst in the county and one of the wohst in the country.:D

Okay, I admit it, Dundalk is the better town (wink wink), I have the good grace to accept it. I LOVE Dundalk.

Does that sound convincing?

(Okay, now that I'm a convert when to I get my allowance of cheap diesel, smuggled cigerettes, and my membership to the pirated DVD Library, )

Best Toun in Ireland for sure.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

(Okay, now that I'm a convert when to I get my allowance of cheap diesel, smuggled cigerettes, and my membership to the pirated DVD Library, )

Best Toun in Ireland for sure.....

I'd say you collect it in Jonesborough on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

i wouldnt live in clogherhead anyway

its a kip

Speaking of Jonesborough. When the PNSI raided and closed it down two years ago, with an announcement that it would never reopen it seemed the legendary market was banished forever. To everyones surprise the Home Office in London of all people stepped in and had a word in the ear of the PSNI. A huge row erupted and low and behold the market was back in action with months. Nobody could work out way or the reasoning. The PSNI were never given any explination for the order but it came from the top. It was since emerged that the Catholic Church owns the market and has used a middleman agent for decades to collect the rent thereby keeping a distance between themsellves and the colourful market and its trade. Nobody knew this of course until the PSNI pulled the plug on the place. London was informed it was pulling the plug on a little nixer owned by its one and only allie in South Armagh _ The Catholic Church....
    The choice was simple....Jonesbourough gets reopened or the PSNI are going to get it in the neck from the only organisation that had any influence over the boys of the old brigade.....Bless 'em.

Can you just imagine the conversation between the toff in the Home Office and the local PSNI Chief

Toff ''Listen Paddy'
    Inspector X ''Actually I'm Billy''

Toff ''listen we have just have had the Catholic Church on the phone saying you have closed a village market in South Armagh, they say its much loved by local people and famed for is home made jams and apple tarts made by the women folk there, are you Police Paddies out of your minds''.
    Inspector X ''I'm not a Paddy

Toff'' Listen Orange Paddy, the church are our only buddies there, I don't care if they are selling rubber women, or rubber bullets for that matter but that place is opening next week, do you follow''.
    Inspector X '' Apple pies my arse, is that what they said''.

Toff' excuse me one moment I've another call....Yes Cardinal its all sorted..big misunderstanding. ...thank you Cardinal...I understand fulyl Cardinal .....Yes next week...cheerio and blessings to all your flock

Phone goes dead.

Inspector X '' And I thought the Catholic Chirch ruled Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I'd say you collect it in Jonesborough on Sunday.

Nah, nobody goes to Jonesborough any more. All that stuff is readily available in Dundalk:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Speaking of Jonesborough. When the PNSI raided and closed it down two years ago, with an announcement that it would never reopen it seemed the legendary market was banished forever. To everyones surprise the Home Office in London of all people stepped in and had a word in the ear of the PSNI. A huge row erupted and low and behold the market was back in action with months. Nobody could work out way or the reasoning. The PSNI were never given any explination for the order but it came from the top. It was since emerged that the Catholic Church owns the market and has used a middleman agent for decades to collect the rent thereby keeping a distance between themsellves and the colourful market and its trade. Nobody knew this of course until the PSNI pulled the plug on the place. London was informed it was pulling the plug on a little nixer owned by its one and only allie in South Armagh _ The Catholic Church....
    The choice was simple....Jonesbourough gets reopened or the PSNI are going to get it in the neck from the only organisation that had any influence over the boys of the old brigade.....Bless 'em.

Can you just imagine the conversation between the toff in the Home Office and the local PSNI Chief

Toff ''Listen Paddy'
    Inspector X ''Actually I'm Billy''

Toff ''listen we have just have had the Catholic Church on the phone saying you have closed a village market in South Armagh, they say its much loved by local people and famed for is home made jams and apple tarts made by the women folk there, are you Police Paddies out of your minds''.
    Inspector X ''I'm not a Paddy

Toff'' Listen Orange Paddy, the church are our only buddies there, I don't care if they are selling rubber women, or rubber bullets for that matter but that place is opening next week, do you follow''.
    Inspector X '' Apple pies my arse, is that what they said''.

Toff' excuse me one moment I've another call....Yes Cardinal its all sorted..big misunderstanding. ...thank you Cardinal...I understand fulyl Cardinal .....Yes next week...cheerio and blessings to all your flock

Phone goes dead.

Inspector X '' And I thought the Catholic Chirch ruled Dublin

Fupping hilarious.. U have way too much time on your hands however..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Vikky

is any one know house to let. dont mind where louth, or meath.... have 2 kids, and the rent going mad. thanks. *snip*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

check daft and you really shouldnt put your mobile number online.

• Advertisement
Advertisement