Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The rugby look :(

• 16-10-2007 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Not sure where to put this but bear with me:

I've been playing rugby for near on 7 years and, while I love the game, it's left me with countless injuries and a few are fairly aesthetic.

Nose has been broken several times and still a bit bumpy, one of my ears is now slightly bent to the side from the scrums (2nd row) and I'm left with a perfect 'stud mark' shaped scar on the left hand side of my forehead.

I'm not usually conscious about my appearence, you have what you have, but the whole 'rugby look' bit gets to me. What's the best way to work it - if you get me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

Show off the guns ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Aw the 'rugby look' as you put it can be quite hot. And anyway once you open your mouth it's your personality that will be important, so don't worry about a thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

ThatGuy wrote: »
    Not sure where to put this but bear with me:

I've been playing rugby for near on 7 years and, while I love the game, it's left me with countless injuries and a few are fairly aesthetic.

Nose has been broken several times and still a bit bumpy, one of my ears is now slightly bent to the side from the scrums (2nd row) and I'm left with a fairly visible 'stud mark' shaped scar on my forehead.

I'm not usually conscious about my appearence, you have what you have - but the whole 'rugby look' bit gets to me. What's the best way to work it or distract people from it - if you get me?
    Seriously, don't worry about it :) This is the perfect time for you, rugby is one of the fastest growing and one of the most high profile sports in the country. Most girls love the idea of going out with a rugby player, they tend to be perceived as a lot tougher than GAA and soccer lads.

Make the most of it! Plus chicks dig scars, it gives you something to talk about. Show off the war wounds and good luck with the rugby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭howaya

you've got the brute force bear-man presence in spades by the sounds of all that

Forgive me if I'm out of line, but I think that you are sensitive at the idea of some thinking that you must be a cabbage head because you're a big strong guy who has been in his share of scrapes. Most fellas try to cultivate that image, rather than toning it down!

I think that the thing to do would be to smooth over the rough edges with a little sophistication. You don't have to prove that you can take a punch and stay standing, so you could try threads that are a little spiffier than you might normally wear - keep it neat. Also, pay attention to keeping your hair chopped as you want it to look, as you risk looking like you've just been through the wars if you're scurffy.

Sounds like you've got bags of character. Once you carry yourself well, you'll look great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've had sticky-outty ears and large areas of visible scarring from a scalding accident all my life and I rarely think about either. As someone mentioned above, scars etc are a great conversation starter!! (Weird but true!!)

I know my situation is slightly different to yours but I find that if you put the effort into looking what you consider your best then you'll forget about any bumps and scarring. Just be confident in who you are.

Anyway, the 'rugby look' is definitely in right now! Lucky you. I don't know many girls who would pass up a big strong rugby player!! (Unless he's a horrible person and I doubt you are!)

Anyway, you are always going to be your own worst critic. Others probably don't notice the 'bad' things that you notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

howaya wrote: »
    you've got the brute force bear-man presence in spades by the sounds of all that

Forgive me if I'm out of line, but I think that you are sensitive at the idea of some thinking that you must be a cabbage head because you're a big strong guy who has been in his share of scrapes. Most fellas try to cultivate that image, rather than toning it down!

I think that the thing to do would be to smooth over the rough edges with a little sophistication. You don't have to prove that you can take a punch and stay standing, so you could try threads that are a little spiffier than you might normally wear - keep it neat. Also, pay attention to keeping your hair chopped as you want it to look, as you risk looking like you've just been through the wars if you're scurffy.

Sounds like you've got bags of character. Once you carry yourself well, you'll look great

Yep, avoid scruffy. If you've a black eye (or any sort of injury will do) and ur well groomed, wearing something smart you'll have us drooling over you!!!
    Think fitted shirts, nice shoes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

howaya wrote: »

No, you're not out of line. I posted a question - not going to get in a twist over the responses.

Something to that effect (in a tiny way) - just the whole 'he looks rough' bit I've had before. Kinda makes me less approachable looking, as I've found in one or two instances.
    Not a big issue - but as another poster said - we're all our worst critic.

I do my best to get on with everyone and anyone, and it's worked so far.

Thanks for the responses.

Advertisement