Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damn it, we don't know whats around the corner..

• 16-10-2007 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Or how lucky we are.

My uncle went out for a drink the other night with some friends.

Today he's life support in Beaumont hospital ICU.

Nothing sinister thank god. He stayed out late so my aunt went to bed, but woke up yesterday morning at 06:30am and no sign of hubby so she went downstairs where she found him lying in the garden semi-wake and moaning. He went to bed, but by afternoon she couldn't stir him so called for an ambulance.

Not only is he suffering from a brain haemorrhage, but that caused him to fall heavily and cause further brain damage, with a clot on his brain from the fall.

The damage is too extensive for surgery so he's life is in gods hands now.

He's only in his mid-fifties, with a young family and grand children.

I'm not asking for prayers, but keep those less fortunate then ourselves in your thoughts guys. Also up in ICU is a 26yr old girl with head injuries and a young Estonian who was beaten up in (I think) Kilkenny and also suffering extensive head injuries, his family were flown over to be at his bed side.

I'm off up there again now.

Just wanted to get that sh*t off my chest.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I was assaulted the other week and had it not been for a mate putting himself in harms way I could have had some very serious head injuries.

As it stands, I'm only missing a few teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 T-Boner

I was assaulted the other week and had it not been for a mate putting himself in harms way I could have had some very serious head injuries.

As it stands, I'm only missing a few teeth.

Hardly the same thing.

OP, I hope your uncle pulls through this but it seem's (from reading your post) bleak. In which case I hope your family is given strenght to deal with all this.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

T-Boner wrote: »
    Hardly the same thing.
    Mairt wrote: »
    Also up in ICU is a 26yr old girl with head injuries and a young Estonian who was beaten up in (I think) Kilkenny and also suffering extensive head injuries, his family were flown over to be at his bed side.

I was referring to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

hope it works out ok mairt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

for sure we don't, my best mate was up for rag-week in galway in march of last year and was out with us on the tues-wed-thursday nights, next evening (friday) at home he suffered a heart aneurysm and died a week later in hospital at 29 years of age. Never smoked or drank in his life and was just a little overweight (about 13 stone on a 5'8-5'9 frame)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Sorry to hear about this Mairt, hope he pulls through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

All my best to you and your family bro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Bad buzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm not asking for prayers
    I'll say one all the same Brother. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

*Hugs* & *love* to you and your family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

hope it all works out brother mairt..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Even though you're not asking for prayers I'll say one for him anyway Mairt.
    It's only when we have to visit a hospital that we're reminded of the fact that people are suffering.
    I hope your uncle pulls through ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

:(

I really hope things work out for your Uncle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Similar thing happened to my dad's best mate Christmas '05. At the time, he was 60. He headed to the local the night of Christmas Eve. Early the next morning his wife awoke to discover he wasn't in the bed. She didn't think too much of it, went down to the kitchen to get cracking on the turkey, found him flat out on the kitchen floor. He'd probably been there a good eight hours. It was a brain haemorrhage.
    But he pulled through. Now, almost two years later, he's doing great. The strain of the whole thing has affected him emotionally though - he does get upset and depressed now and then. But that's lessening over time.

Really hope it will be a similar story for your uncle.
    rossie1977 wrote:
    for sure we don't, my best mate was up for rag-week in galway in march of last year and was out with us on the tues-wed-thursday nights, next evening (friday) at home he suffered a heart aneurysm and died a week later in hospital at 29 years of age. Never smoked or drank in his life and was just a little overweight (about 13 stone on a 5'8-5'9 frame)
    Oh Rossie that's awful. My deepest sympathies. Must have been extremely tough to lose a close friend like that. Something I can't even imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

bad news, hope he pulls through and you have my sympathy and my prayers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Hope all goes well OP, two close family friends have been in the ICU here in Galway for the past 2 months, things are improving now thank god.
    I'll still say a prayer for your uncle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Sorry to hear it. Touch wood I've never been in a situation like that but I can't imagine many envy you. Best wishes for your uncle and his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

sorry for your troubles, hope everything works out ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

really sorry to hear that, Mairt, and everyone else who's suffered losses and are dealing with people suffering and ill.

twas almost this time 2 years ago a really close friend was driving home early to pick me up so i'd have a place to stay the night when she died in a car crash. there really is nothing certain in life. :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well guys thanks all the same.

We'd a meeting yesterday evening with the Doctors. He has a less than 5% chance of survival, but being positive thats better than nothing.

He's off all medication, there's too much bleeding deep in his brain for surgery so its all still in the lap of the gods.

Jeeze I'm bolloxed, getting a kip and letting off some steam here ;)

• Advertisement

My thoughts are with you and your family!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

So sorry to hear that Mairt, I've said a prayer for your Uncle, best of luck.

narco wrote: »
    twas almost this time 2 years ago a really close friend was driving home early to pick me up so i'd have a place to stay the night when she died in a car crash. there really is nothing certain in life. :S
    Oh that's awful, narco. Yeah, last July on the day of my mate's birthday, she got the news that her friend had been killed in a car crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Condolences dude. Will send some good vibes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Terrible news. It really could happen to anyone. In the space of one day. My thoughts are with you and yours Mairt.

My uncle passed away at 6 O'Clock this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I'm so sorry Mairt. RIP.
    Please look after yourself and your family.
    My thoughts are with you.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

My condolences Mairt.

I was at my own uncle's funeral today. He was in hospital, nothing remotely life threatening, and in flying form when my mother last visited him. Two days later he was dead, a clot from his "non-life threatening" complaint worked its way into his heart and there was nothing they could do for him. There really is always someone worse off than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I'm so sorry Mairt, that's awful. My thoughts are with you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

sorry to hear about your uncle

may he RIP.

Mairt and zaph, that's awfully sad. My deepest sympathies. Gone too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Sorry for your loss, Mairt. RIP.

zaph wrote: »
    My condolences Mairt.

I was at my own uncle's funeral today. He was in hospital, nothing remotely life threatening, and in flying form when my mother last visited him. Two days later he was dead, a clot from his "non-life threatening" complaint worked its way into his heart and there was nothing they could do for him. There really is always someone worse off than you.

Sh*t isn't it?.

Believe it or not I've more memories of good times with my uncle when I was a child than I have with my father.

So I sat here listening to The fureys 'The old man' on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCSaBYY-wQk) [sry I don't know how to link the clip directly to the thread, can someone do it for me please).

So, Zaph. sitting with a few tinnies after the pub and just chilling after a poxy two weeks in beaumont hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Sorry to hear of your loss Mairt.

May he rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Hun - my heart goes out to you and your family.
    I'm glad you have good memories of him to look back on.
    xx

• Advertisement

Sh*t isn't it?.

Believe it or not I've more memories of good times with my uncle when I was a child than I have with my father.

So I sat here listening to The fureys 'The old man' on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCSaBYY-wQk) [sry I don't know how to link the clip directly to the thread, can someone do it for me please).

So, Zaph. sitting with a few tinnies after the pub and just chilling after a poxy two weeks in beaumont hospital.
    R.I.P. mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Sorry to heard of your loss.
    My sympathies and support to you and your family.
    May he R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Sorry for your loss. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Very sorry to hear that Mairt,

my thoughts will be with you and your family.

• Advertisement
Advertisement