Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish law and driving imported car

Options
  • 16-10-2007 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Ok, the car:

- has VRT,
    - is registered and has plates.

I sent all the documents needed for insurance.
    When I receive the phone call from broker and they give me insurance company name and policy number, I will go to tax office, give them my RF 100 form and pay road tax.

After that I have to NCT the car and I think this is it.

My question is, from which part can I actually start driving the car?

Dealing with all the issues might take a while and I could not make it until the November.

When the car is insured and I know the policy info, can I start driving it or do I have to wait for Road tax and NCT?

Even if I have Road tax and insurance, can I actually take it to NCT garage, if it does not have valid NCT? (it is an 12/99 import so it never had NCT in Irealnd)

Can I drive it for a short time without having Tax and/or NCT??????

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

you can drive it as soon as you have insurance on it, make sure you have documentation to show that you've just bought the car so if your stopped by the gardai you can show them you only have the car and your waiting for the log book so you can tax it

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭valdigre

From what I know I receive a logbook after I actually tax the car...

The only document I have is RF100 that says, that the car was registered on 11th of October. Is it enough for now?

After I have insurance policy number (just details, no papers yet from broker) and do not have Road Tax and NCT documents (circles) yet, can I drive it?

Any other suggestions/ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GoalsGoneWild

I was in a similar position. As soon as the insurance broker confirms you're insured, drive away. Get the tax sorted as soon as you can - but it won't negate the insurance policy or anything like that.

This is not legal advice btw - just what I did personally!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Technically you can't drive the car without those discs, and it might be an idea to at least have the tax and book the NCT before getting on the road. You should be able to tax the car using www.motortax.ie and the last 6 digits of your chassis number.

Tax disc should arrive in 3-4 working days if you do it this way. Once that's done, quickest way to get the NCT (so I've heard) is to turn up to an NCT centre around 08.00 on a Saturday morning and if you are lucky they can run it through there and then, or maybe after a short wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

For an imported car you will nto be able to tax the car on line. I also think that the last 6 digits of chassis number thing is a myth.
    You wil n ot be able to tax the car until after you have paid the VRT. In the Revenue office after paying the VRT they will issue you with the registration number, you should ideally fill out the RF100 form that you bring directly to the Motor Tax office. You should ideally get a set of number plates made up & fitted at this stage.
    Officially you have to have all this done within 24hours. But a few days leeway is generally given. Once you have informed your insurance company of the UK reg then you are covered. Don't forget to tell them the new reg though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I thought you had to have proof that the car passed its NCT before the car could be taxed? Thats the way it is with commercial vehicles and the MOT anyway, no MOT cert = no tax

My car dealer says that for a newly imported car NCT Certificate can not be obtained until you first Tax your car and then put it through an NCT test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

R.O.R wrote: »
    You should be able to tax the car using www.motortax.ie and the last 6 digits of your chassis number.

My chassis number appears to change every time I use motortax.ie so. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

ehh, right, Having done this recently enough it goes as follows.
    1. Insure the car, once this and vrt/irish plates are in place you can drive it
    2. Tax it, requires a trip to the tax office, make sure to get the cards to clear the mileage first otherwise you will be taxed from the point the car entered the country
    3. NCT, *cannot* be booked online, you have to bring the vehicle ownership form into your local test centre to have it registered on the database, then you can tax it.

• Advertisement

Doodee wrote: »
    2. Tax it, requires a trip to the tax office, make sure to get the cards to clear the mileage first otherwise you will be taxed from the point the car entered the country

I do not understand, could you explain it?
    Doodee wrote: »
    3. NCT, *cannot* be booked online, you have to bring the vehicle ownership form into your local test centre to have it registered on the database, then you can tax it.

You meant "then you can NCT it" or really Tax it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

For an imported car you will nto be able to tax the car on line. I also think that the last 6 digits of chassis number thing is a myth.

Did it for my sisters new car and it worked.
    valdigre wrote: »
    I do not understand, could you explain it?

You meant "then you can NCT it" or really Tax it?

You'll have to go the a Garda station and get the off the road section of the RF100 form signed by a Garda, to avoid back tax. Then go to the tax office with Reg Cert, RF100 and insurance cert. Pay tax. Then bring same documents to local NCT centre and get them to add it to their database. When the car is on the NCT database you can then book it in for NCT, think it may take a couple of days to get onto their database

• Registered Users Posts: 22,284 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You should definitely have an insurance disc displayed.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

testicle wrote: »
    My chassis number appears to change every time I use motortax.ie so. :cool:

For 1st taxation of a vehicle in the state should be able to be done online using the last 6 digits of the chassis number. 2nd and subsequent taxation requires a generated pin number.

Online works 99% of the time for brand new vehicles, never having tried it for imported vehicles I wouldn't know if it works - but the info that comes with the RF100 suggests it should.

So you do not have to carry the RF100 form physically to the office when taxing the car for the first time? Cool.

Advertisement