Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seat Ibiza van , comments ?

Options
  • 16-10-2007 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭

Helo folks. My father is thinking of buying a 99 seat ibiza van... 79 k miles and all th e usual extras in a decent body and mechanical order.... 550 isnt bad for a van imo , but is there anyone here who is a seat mech or has owned ibiza's in the past ??

any decent info would be useful.... the rest.... well the mods can remove it :)

kindess regards-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

For €550 you can't be too fussy. Didn't know SEAT officially did an Ibiza van in 99. What engine is in it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

i had one of these little beasties 1.9 diesel it was.
    it had a vw engine in it.
    only problem i found was the clutch was a bit dodgy.
    oh how i drove the life out of it. first car,i learned quickly about blind spots.

actually the whole clutch thing might have been related to the first car thing:rolleyes:

edit : sorry i misread i thought you said inca

not a SEAT Inca?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    not a SEAT Inca?
    I'm pretty sure that was a rebadged Caddy, and was available here in 99.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I think technically the Caddy was a rebadged Inca, as they were based on the Ibiza and both built by Seat :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

colm_mcm wrote: »
    not a SEAT Inca?

Yep - I think the OP means an Inca. IIRC, they had the 1.9 diesel engine (1Y) non turbo. Great engine, very reliable if somewhat noisey. For €550 it's gotta be worth a go if it appears to be in good nick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

its not too bad , i know the guy since he bought it and its been a decent van... it had the bullet proof caddy engine but im not too worryed if te clutch acts up from time to time :)

i wonder if volkswagens are as sound as they used to be

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I drive a 01 Inca myself 64 miles daily. It's always been reliable with 100k on the clock. It's a 1.9l SDI non-turbo, as mentioned. I think the Caddys may have had a turbo version?

Only problem I have with it is 3rd gear, when changing from 2nd to 3rd, I've to let the revs lower a bit, otherwise listen to a scringeing noise, as if the clutch isn't pressed enough. Oddly only happens with third gear, not sure if it's gearbox or clutch problem. But ye get used to it :)

it's a well known fact thatn volkswagens aren't as sound as they used to be.

luckily the Inca has no turbo or ABS and very few electrics to give hassle.

well it has all the usual crap you'd expect but meh... i suppose the less you got the less can go wrong... but you dont exactly wanna drive a shell of a car... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Well, what do you expect for 550E? A lexus?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I've had 2, a Seat Inca SDI, and a VW Caddy. I'm only 5'8" and I got terrible pains in my legs from them, as the pedals are off set and you have to have your knees twisted to work them, and it's impossible to push the seat back further due to the bulkhead.

The rear doors rattle like hell, the engine is souless, but as a workhorse, it's unbeatable. I've had Motorbikes in the back, heavy equipment, and it never once left me down.

:confused: you could buy a lexus for 550E ??

also ive been hearing things about them alot recently... clutch and gb is main problem this this banger had roll up windows and th e like so its a eazy fix when things go wrong

gotta love a lack of electronics :)

Advertisement