Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting as a trainee - what can I expect

• 16-10-2007 3:16pm

Im starting as a trainee in a smaller sized firm next month and Im just wondering what I should expect cos i dont really have too much of an idea.

I appreciate that the workload of studying for the CAP 1 along with working is going to be draining but Im prepared for that much.

Im just lookin for a general overview of what to expect and I also have another question....I know the hours are very long and can be restrictive, wuld they hold me back from playing in a sport when theres training 1 or 2 evenings a week? Its not a big deal one way or another, my friend wanted to know if Id join and I wasnt sure what kind of manic hours Id be working and with study on top of that..........

Thanks in advance,

Neil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Cantoris

You can make time for everything if you want to. Get into work, work hard and get out. Then you will have no probs getting to your training twice a week. Also, let your boss know early that you have sporting interests, but show your commitment to the business and if you need to head off to training you can tell him/her you will make it up the next day. Most management understand as long as they know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Loads of photocopying and making cups of tea. :D

In a smaller firm you'll be busy at October for the Income tax filing deadline and generally september for the corporation tax deadline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

people manage sports etc fine . . . main busy time is in first few months of year but the work won't be too taxing in first year . . .

its not all as serious as it sounds, yes you do have time for a life.

people manage sports etc fine . . . main busy time is in first few months of year but the work won't be too taxing in first year . . .

its not all as serious as it sounds, yes you do have time for a life.

Yea thats the one thing that has been implied to me is that I would be so swamped with work.....So I was mentally reparing for the onslaught! Hopefully Ill be able to juggle my time anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

You will be fine , I worked in a small sized firm for over 2 and a half years , it was great I was shown how to do stuff and given time to learn , I did have lots of work on but nothing unmanageable. I have now moved to quite a large company different industry and a totally different kettle of fish and I can tell you I would go back to a small firm in a second. My wages have increased significantly but so has my work load and the stress is unreal!! So enjoy your time as a trainee where not a lot is expected of you , learn everything you can and dont take on too much responsiblity until its necessary.

As for study time Meh its a pain but it has to be done !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

OLDYELLAR wrote: »
    You will be fine , I worked in a small sized firm for over 2 and a half years , it was great I was shown how to do stuff and given time to learn , I did have lots of work on but nothing unmanageable. I have now moved to quite a large company different industry and a totally different kettle of fish and I can tell you I would go back to a small firm in a second. My wages have increased significantly but so has my work load and the stress is unreal!! So enjoy your time as a trainee where not a lot is expected of you , learn everything you can and dont take on too much responsiblity until its necessary.

As for study time Meh its a pain but it has to be done !

Gwan outta that!! You do no work whatsoever!!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Good luck with the new post.

Remember your starting point in preparing accounts is to prepare the bank reconcilation for the main account and any other bank accounts, loans and savings.

I trained in a small practice which was lucky enough to have big clients and varied clients.

Typical tasks:
    • Preparing Accounts for sole traders
    • Preparing Income Tax calculations for sole traders and individuals
    • Preparing Accounts for companies
    • Preparing Corporation Tax calculations for companies
    • Preparing Capital Gains Tax and other related taxes... CAT etc
    • Audit tests as outlined in the audit plan by the audit manager
    • Company Secterarial work, completing B1's B73's etc
    • Filing (IT, CT Vat & Paye
    • Calculating Paye & Prsi (Payroll)
    • Preparing Vat Returns for clients
    • Correspondances with banks, solicitors, revenue etc
    • Making the boss his morning coffee. ("Two sugars"!! use to be the call sign)
    • Raising Invoices to clients afer every job is complete (This is how you score well)

Looking back at it, working in practice is crap pay but great experience. If practice paid more I would definitely go back in the morning.

P.S am after reading OLDYELLAR reply there and I totally agree with what she is saying. Industry, More pay more stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

Im starting as a trainee in a smaller sized firm next month and Im just wondering what I should expect cos i dont really have too much of an idea.

I appreciate that the workload of studying for the CAP 1 along with working is going to be draining but Im prepared for that much.

Im just lookin for a general overview of what to expect and I also have another question....I know the hours are very long and can be restrictive, wuld they hold me back from playing in a sport when theres training 1 or 2 evenings a week? Its not a big deal one way or another, my friend wanted to know if Id join and I wasnt sure what kind of manic hours Id be working and with study on top of that..........

Thanks in advance,

Neil

You'll be fine. I play inter county football and i'm doing ACCA exams at the moment. It can be a bit of a pain from time to time but in one way the training gets you completely out of study mode which can be handy! You'll get into a routine and get used to it after a very short time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭seanieclarke

do you mind me asking where you saw/find out about the job that you are about to start? paper ad/milkround?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 tonypony

hi , kluivert posted a really good list of what trainees wil be doing in a practice, does anyone know is Industry similar?

thanks

Advertisement