Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Housemate When Moving Out

• 16-10-2007 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

Just wondering people's opinion.

I've been living in a place for a number of years (initially signed a 12 month lease but that has long since lapsed) and now just paying month by month.

Anyway i now want to move out, I've given heaps of notice (90 days), and yet the housemate who is staying has advised that he believes its my job to find and pay the costs of finding a replacement.

I can see this being fair if we were under a fixed or 12 month lease, but as we are paying month by month and he wishes to stay, i'm not sure this is reasonable.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You are being more than reasonable
    As you posted, it would only be your responsibility if you were breaking your lease and the landlord wanted a replacement tenant.

To appease your housemate, tell them it’s better for them to be in charge as they can bring in one of their friends plus they get interview people to find someone they will get on with.

If you find the tenant, your housemate could be stuck with some lunatic :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

If I were the flatmate who was staying I would much prefer the opportunity to choose who I was going to live with. Put an ad on daft (no cost) and let him do the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I'll be in the same situation in the next couple of months (hopefully). I'll give the existing housemates the choice to stay and find a replacement for me, or to move out too. If they choose to stay, they'll probably have to sign a 12 month agreement with the owner, as I did - which in turn will make them responsible for filling the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Your house mates don't even enter in to the equation - it's the landlords responsibility to keep his house full of tenants, and to ensure that any new tenants don't interfere (i.e. personality clashes, etc.) with his existing tenants.

My old housemates in Dublin tried to tell me that "if you don't organise a suitable house mate, you won't get your deposit back" - I told them quite bluntly to go stuff themselves and that organising house mates had nothing to do with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It's not the landlord's responsibility to manage the personal affairs of his tenants, if they are all on the same tenancy agreement or if they are licensees of a head tenant!

If you are on a joint tenancy agreement, you remain liable for your responsibilities under the lease until your name is taken off by agreement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement