Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MySQL GUI

Options
  • 16-10-2007 4:08pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, just beginning to use MySQL for the first time. Are there any good frontend GUI's that I should use or is there much point getting one?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

I personally find them very useful, especially when your trying to perform changes of a database on a hosted server.
    There are different types available, it depends on your IDE.
    What are you using?
    I've used an eclipse plugin, and a Visual Studio plugin, both very uselful!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Hi, just beginning to use MySQL for the first time. Are there any good frontend GUI's that I should use or is there much point getting one?

Thanks

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysqlcc

Haven't tried it myself I must admit but the stuff on sourceforge is usually of a good quality. It free anyway so nothing to be lost from experimenting with it :).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

http://www.webyog.com/en/downloads.php

The SQLYog community edition is the business. The best feature is the query history window. You can do certain actions via the Gui, e.g. create/change tables, then go back to the history to see what the relevant query was. Great when you're too lazy to type it all out yourself and you need to script it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Cheers for that Séamus ... haven't used it in a long time and it was very unstable when I was using it before ...

At the moment I'm going to be using that as well as the QuantumDB Plugin for Eclipse

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Indeed, it wasn't perfect a couple of years ago, but I'm not using anything else now, haven't had any trouble with it. The other thing I love is the database copy feature. Just connect to two different servers and tell it to dump a DB from one server to the other.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    The other thing I love is the database copy feature. Just connect to two different servers and tell it to dump a DB from one server to the other.

ok I'm loving the sounds of that :) will be giving it a try over the next day or two no doubt as I update locally then import on the live site ... being able to just use a copy button would be so cool ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ianhobo wrote: »
    I personally find them very useful, especially when your trying to perform changes of a database on a hosted server.
    There are different types available, it depends on your IDE.
    What are you using?
    I've used an eclipse plugin, and a Visual Studio plugin, both very uselful!
    Hi, for my fourth year project in Electronic and Computer Engineering I have been given the following tasks with regards rfid:
    Development of a standalone automated tag reader(or buy one)

Provision of wireless interface onto the tag reader and development of basic system to control a network of such readers

Development of a more complex software system to manage the location of users and their devices and to provide an external software interface to provide remote access to the system to third party communication system.

Demonstrate a system with capability to re-direct incoming call attempts based on simple user configured rules.

Support for more complex subscriber configured rules in addition to non-voice call communication paradigms.
    So i will need to be putting these tags on phones and they will all have IDs. Readers on a wall will read these IDs and send them over wireless. I will set user configured rules on a website, so redirect a call if a student is in a lecture etc.
    I need MySQL to retrieve this IDs to a database and I need to read them from it.
    So I don't really know what language is best for this, java? At a guess...not really sure how to do this.

Thanks for the replies, I'll check em out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Not sure what exactly what you mean by a GUI front-end, a management front-end I suppose.

The one I use is called PHPMyAdmin. Here's the link: http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Not sure what exactly what you mean by a GUI front-end, a management front-end I suppose.

The one I use is called PHPMyAdmin. Here's the link: http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php
    I'm surprised that this wasn't the first answer. It is #22 in the all time top downloads at sourceforge.net. It deserves it IMO.

Hi, for my fourth year project in Electronic and Computer Engineering I have been given the following tasks with regards rfid:

So i will need to be putting these tags on phones and they will all have IDs. Readers on a wall will read these IDs and send them over wireless. I will set user configured rules on a website, so redirect a call if a student is in a lecture etc.
    I need MySQL to retrieve this IDs to a database and I need to read them from it.
    So I don't really know what language is best for this, java? At a guess...not really sure how to do this.

Thanks for the replies, I'll check em out. :)
    I remember a location detection project by the same people that developed VNC. They also had a system where people could be located within a building.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

daymobrew wrote: »
    I remember a location detection project by the same people that developed VNC. They also had a system where people could be located within a building.

Been there, done that - technology was implemented in the late 90s. Here were are again in 2007 reimplementing... Is that Computers and Electronics at TCD by any chance?

Scroll down to the bottom of: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/teaching/projects/ to see what kind of things people are interested in these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

Cantab. wrote: »
    Been there, done that - technology was implemented in the late 90s. Here were are again in 2007 reimplementing... Is that Computers and Electronics at TCD by any chance?

Scroll down to the bottom of: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/teaching/projects/ to see what kind of things people are interested in these days...

computer engineering is only run in 3 places in ireland ( i could be wrong, feel free to correct me)

And eh........that is Cambridge, it has its reputation for a reason.

Just becuse its RFID thats been around "since the 90's" as you say, doesn't in anyway take away from the difficulty in implementing such a thing at an undergraduate level. Done correctly and with supervision, it can be as worthwhile an engineering project as any other.

Sure MPEG is around SINCE THE 80's, and there are projects given out every year based in it. Do you also consider these unworthy (by the way, all of the 2006 projects on that link you gave were all imaging, and nothing particularly new or exciting either)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Cantab. wrote: »

It's in NUIG.

Those projects seem to be post grad ones that are too in depth, too boring(Needed:c and linux knowledge :-) ) or too easy. I wish I was doing something like image processing heh. Anyway, some of those do seem interesting, but I do what I'm given.
    Making an rfid reader and system integrating real time tracking and communications, with specific rules, seems like quite a worthwhile thing to me.
    I could be doing worse...

Thanks for the new suggestions!

Worth setting this up, seems to be a bit of work in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,917 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, use MySQL Control Center but avoid MySQL Query Browser. MySQL Query Browser has a much clunkier interface over MySQL CC.

The only advantage MySQL Query Browser has over MySQL CC is that MySQL CC will not show any more than 1000 rows (and no, it doesn't use the LIMIT function) in any table / resultset.

If its just on your local machine get yourself a copy of wampserver

www.wampserver.com

1 click install and then you'll have apache / php / mysql installed and it comes with phpmyadmin preinstalled :)

There appears to be a wizard process to help you so it should be easy enough.

Thanks. Now that you guys have gotten me a pretty gui to work with etc,
    I have created a table and populated it. Now I need to connect to it to get data from the tables etc.
    Is this done easier is java or vb? Do I have to set up anything in mysql for this? All I have done is make a database and table.

Is this done easier is java or vb? Do I have to set up anything in mysql for this? All I have done is make a database and table.
    You need a connector depending on the language you're using.

Use the 'JDBC MySQL Connector' (google it) if you're using Java, or.... i'm sure someone can fill in the alternative for VB.

VB is probably the easier option using a DataSource or whatever.. been ages since i did VB so i'm a bit rusty - i'm a hardcore Java developer myself.

I was just googling JDBC thanks.
    Is it a package in java or is it something I download?

I downloaded odbc but tbh, I have no idea how to use it.
    I am thinking of using java because that is the only language I have really had to use before.
    I may need to annoy you a lot to do my project fellow sligonian. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

i did an identical project using bluetooth instead. I used mySQL and designed a Java frontend for the DB admin and I also used java to talk to the bluetooth stack running on a linux server

• Advertisement

I was just googling JDBC thanks.
    Is it a package in java or is it something I download?
    It's a JAR file you include in your project and classpath.
    I downloaded odbc but tbh, I have no idea how to use it.
    I am thinking of using java because that is the only language I have really had to use before.
    ODBC is OK as well.. it's simply setting up a connection in Data Sources for your database, and connecting to the connection you have defined. But the main disadvantage is you need to set up an ODBC link on each machine you run it on.

JDBC is nice in that there's no need to make a ODBC link on a machine.. it simply uses the name of the database and port.

Hard to explain really.. but JDBC is definitely my recommendation.
    I may need to annoy you a lot to do my project fellow sligonian. :P
    No problem mate.. glad to help if you run into problems. Have been developing using Java and MySQL for about 3 years full time practically.

Thanks.
    :)

I will probably use java or php.
    Ok, I should eat today...
    Damn project.

Advertisement