Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search.

Options
  • 16-10-2007 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭

Good to have it back but I did a search there and got this.
    The search term you specified (o2) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.
    If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific.

Can the minimum word length be... er... um... you know... like... eh... shortened?

By the way, the search was for "o2 upgrade".
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Use * as a space filler

/EDIT actually scratch that, i'm talking crap

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No.

The problem is that two-letter and three-letter words appear a lot in the english language. The search is performed using a full-text index. On MySQL, the full-text index by default will only index words of four characters or more. This can be changed in config, which is a simple enough thing to do.

The problem is that once you go lower than four characters, the size of the index can increase dramatically. This is because words like "the", "and", "you" and so on have to be indexed too. And these words occur a *lot*. Drop it to two characters and IMO you're asking for trouble - a fulltext index that's unnecessarily large and badly padded with small words will make the search much slower and more painful.

My advice is to search for o2.ie or use Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

delly wrote: »
    Use * as a space filler

/EDIT actually scratch that, i'm talking crap
    :D
    seamus wrote: »
    No.

The problem is that two-letter and three-letter words appear a lot in the english language. The search is performed using a full-text index. On MySQL, the full-text index by default will only index words of four characters or more. This can be changed in config, which is a simple enough thing to do.

The problem is that once you go lower than four characters, the size of the index can increase dramatically. This is because words like "the", "and", "you" and so on have to be indexed too. And these words occur a *lot*. Drop it to two characters and IMO you're asking for trouble - a fulltext index that's unnecessarily large and badly padded with small words will make the search much slower and more painful.

My advice is to search for o2.ie or use Google.
    Thanks Seamus, I was searching the mobiles forum before starting a new thread. I've posted it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Thanks Hobbes,
    Google ftw now that I know about the limitations. :D

I use the term "limitation" loosely here as the new search is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

There are also firefox plugins that will allow you to search boards via google (see signature)

*whispers*

I use IE and never had a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

smashey wrote: »
    Thanks Hobbes,
    Google ftw now that I know about the limitations. :D

I use the term "limitation" loosely here as the new search is excellent.

*cough* Old search. ;)

Advertisement