Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farewell O2.

• 16-10-2007 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭

I've been on billpay with O2 for four years now (Active life 150). My contract will expire next week so I went to the O2 shop today to see about getting an upgrade as I have done each year since going to billpay. I was told that it would be another 5 - 6 months before I would be eligible. When I asked why this was, I was told they had changed the spend threshold. You now have to spend something in the region of €800 in a twelve month period to be eligible. Well, as my tarriff is €35 per month, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that I aint getting upgraded anytime soon.

So thank you O2 for letting me know about this in advance. :rolleyes: Nothing like keeping your customers up to date.

Has anybody else tried to upgrade with the same results?

Also, Meteor or Vodafone, here I come.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

smashey wrote: »

That's crazy.

I left O2 last week, mainly due to the indifference of the staff in my local O2 store. Ms. Snooty wasn't at all interested in the fact I wanted to switch from pre-pay to bill pay and wanted the Nokia 6300.

That's why I am now with Meteor bill pay and have a lurvely new Nokia 6300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Crazy indeed Tom. I like the look of Meteor's 200 minute plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭ablelocks

the fact that o2 have the cheek to charge for voicemail calls is reason enough not to use them / switch from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Dont forget also that O2's free webtext server is up and down like a yo yo :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

smashey wrote: »
    I've been on billpay with O2 for four years now (Active life 150). My contract will expire next week so I went to the O2 shop today to see about getting an upgrade as I have done each year since going to billpay. I was told that it would be another 5 - 6 months before I would be eligible. When I asked why this was, I was told they had changed the spend threshold. You now have to spend something in the region of €800 in a twelve month period to be eligible. Well, as my tarriff is €35 per month, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that I aint getting upgraded anytime soon.

So thank you O2 for letting me know about this in advance. :rolleyes: Nothing like keeping your customers up to date.

Also, Meteor or Vodafone, here I come.
    Yeah I left o2 for the same reason. Too tight fisted to give me an upgrade. I left them because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I did the same moved to Meteor - got two upgrades in the first year!! Only problem I have with them is their range of handsets which could be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Is there any particular reason why you should be entitled to an upgrade every twelve months despite not spending much money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

gillo wrote: »
    Is there any particular reason why you should be entitled to an upgrade every twelve months despite not spending much money?

The fact that it's a 12 month contract, after which period you are free to move to a rival operator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

gillo wrote: »
    Yes. The 12 month upgrade was how it was always done and the OP wasn't notified any different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

For most companies, I would think retention is a good thing! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Im always been happy with O2.. iv noticed the "O2 Freedom" thing requires a special sim card.. seems rather pointless and a waste of time. Customer Service is always good.. at least you can use it, nevermind get through to them. Iv tried Meteors support line and all I got was each new menu playing over the previous heard menus. When im being transffered to speak to an agent, it cuts me of not that long after waiting. Just goes all quiet. Tho, O2 pre-pay you cant divert any calls - busy, unavailable or simply all. Only minor issue tho.

Vodafone I found to be tight with cash, so they dont offer anything special and are expensive.

Three.. dont know much about them. Aint heard much good stuff on Boards anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

cast_iron wrote: »
    Yes. The 12 month upgrade was how it was always done and the OP wasn't notified any different.
    It has not been this way for years. His bills must have been higher before. No ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the 800 euro spend has always been there, it was put UP to 1000 euro during the summer but put back down again after they realised that people were leaving the network because of it and it wasnt fair to customers, and after your 12 month contract has ended it easier to go to another network and get a cheap phone on a first time connection, know why? because the mobile phone market is saturated, the networks are fighting over new customers not existing ones, years back there was barely any competition, you had o2/digifone and vodafone, now theres 2 other networks people can choose from,plus the price of a phone is drastically reduced on an upgrade/new connection, they know they make their money back on a subsided phone on the 12 month guaranteed contract not on the price of the phone itself, hence why you can get a k800i or a 6300 for a fraction of what it costs to sell sim free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Hey everyone ,

I was never a moderator to rule with a iron fist but lately i have noticed that a lot of threads are coming up about rants about networks giving upgrade , Complaints about poor customer service etc ,This is all well and good but , guys this is not the consumer forum , while customer service is plays a huge part in why we choose a certain network or even why we stay with a certain network This is not the place to discuss it , I'm happy enough to discuss why each network is better then the other and even talk about comparisons I even started a thread on it , I am however not happy with the daily rant threads happening on this forum , so from now on , There will be no more warnings just a weeks ban for the first breach and then after that its the moderators discretion. If you guys have any questions about this feel free to PM and i shall discuss with you , no problem.

Stephen

P.S - Guys remember there is numerous networks out there fighting for your money , so pick up the phone or call into a store to discuss it with them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement