Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driver prob

• 16-10-2007 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭

Hope this is in the right section,i just got a vostro 1700 and im trying to install a usb to serial cable.

I've installed the driver but when i plug in the cable it cant find it,when i use the advanced search function to point it to where the driver is it still wont install

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

eireal wrote: »
    Anyone have any ideas?

Are you 100% certain they are Vista drivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

I cant say i am,i downloaded them online and it states that they are vista drivers so im going by that.

When i look in the folder with the driver name eg prolific/.. its empty for some reason even though its saying its installed

Just to update,i found the original cd that came with the cable and theres a folder HL-2303 with an exe file in it,when you run it installs the driver titled "prolific pl2303 windows vista driver" and installs ect.

I noticed if i browse the prolific folder its empty,and if i look in the driver folder theres no new ones added

Any more ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Drivers and system files are usually copied to your windows/system32 folder.

I haven't really worked on Vista yet but I assume it does the same.

USB is tricky, finiky and sometimes very slow to cop on what is actually plugged into it (try using a budget KVM and you'll know what I mean).
    Anyway, speaking to others at the office a few of the guys had the same problems as you and apparantly none of them found a solution to it yet.

What is it you're trying to plug in exactly?

Its a Usb to serial cable,i'll have a nose in the system 32 file and see if theres any sign of it

Although if i do a search for pl-2303 or hl23-03 nothing comes back

Cable was working fine beforehand too on a machine with xp

• Advertisement
Advertisement