Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car racing

Options
  • 16-10-2007 7:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Not what people will think.

Basically when im stopped at traffic lights etc my car feels as though it is still revving(its not), it got very bad last night. The whole car was shaking. Anyone care to shed any light on this?

99 Golf btw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Melion wrote: »
    Not what people will think.

Basically when im stopped at traffic lights etc my car feels as though it is still revving(its not), it got very bad last night. The whole car was shaking. Anyone care to shed any light on this?

99 Golf btw

It doesn't sound like 'racing'. If the engine was racing it wouldn't usually shake. What does the rev counter show the engine speed to be when this is happening? The engine 'shaking' sounds like the engine is idling to slowly or erratically. This can be caused by quite a few things but the most common on a 99 Golf (I assume it's a petrol engine). The most common faults in a 99 Golf are:

1. Dirty throttle body. You will need to have it cleaned and the throttle angle reset.

2. Faulty spark plug HT lead. If one of these is faulty it will cause the engine to run on three cylinders and it will feel rough.

3. Faulty lambda probe. This can sometimes result in the fuel/air mixture entering the combustion chamber to be too lean, which could result in poor idling.

When you accelerate, is there a noticeable loss in power or does everything seem normal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The rev counter is between 5 and 10 when its sitting at the lights.

Everything is fine and feels normal when i accelerate away

In that case I'd be inclined to start by having the throttle body cleaned and reset. Dirty throttle bodies are very common in VWs of that age. It's a simple fix requiring no parts and is a 'while you wait' repair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What sort of money we talking about?

The car is under warranty but doubt that will be covered

Melion wrote: »
    What sort of money we talking about?

The car is under warranty

I don't see why it shouldn't be covered under warranty. I'd be inclined to press for having it done under the warranty.

It should only cost half an hours worth of labour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement