Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slipstream XP installation using Dell factory settings

• 16-10-2007 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. I want to do a fresh reinstall of XP on my DELL M65. I've had nearly a year and a lot of junk has built up. However I don't want to do a simple reinstall for a couple of reasons. First of all I have a Computrace program on my laptop, if its ever stolen its IP can be traced. I never recieved backup software or a way to reinstall this program. The only way to reinstall this software (that I can think of with out waiting hours on dell customer support) is to use dells factory reset settings.

Secondly I heard of a way of creating a slipstream install CD by downloading all the updates and fixes through MS instead of hours on windows update. Has anyone any advice on how to prepare my laptop for something like this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

This guide may be of use for slipstreaming SP2 with XP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭reidyg

I was hoping to access the original disc image thats hidden on a partition of my hard drive. Does any one know how to access this on a Dell Precision M65. I'm running XP Pro, and there is no way to restore to the factory settings throughsystem restore. I've tried pressing CTRL and F11 during booting but I'm getting no menu to boot from this image.

Does this partion show up in My Computer, can you show nlite this partion?

No, the partition doesn't show up, but I've read that DELL place somekind of image or restore file on a hidden partitiion. I have a 120 gig HD but all that shows up is 111 gigs. I really want to get this system restored before the weekend. The XP disc provided by DELL only has the OS. Anyone have any idea how to get this restored?

• Advertisement

Do you know that a 120Gb hd is 120Gb unformatted, You loose a small percentage once its formatted to NTFS. Dell dont give you a disk if you got a restore partion, you gotta pay extra for an install disk. U sure u got a restore partion?

Not any more. So what do I do about software Dell had preinstalled. I don't have a disk with this software. There is a small FAT partition of about 110 MB but that hardly holds it. But do I really lose 8 to 9 gigs for NTFS. I presume its for Dell's diagnostic software. So what's the best way to do a fresh install to delete all the crap thats built up. I have everything I need backed up on an external.

Right, did the fresh install any way. Everything has gone well except device manager is showing one unknown device and I can't think what it can be, every other device seems to be there. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Download Belarc advisor

Also if you right click on the device and get the Hardware ID and pop it into Google you can usually find out what it is

Advertisement