Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

My Dying Bride anyone?

• 16-10-2007 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

I think these guys were one of the first underground metal bands I actually got into way back in the 90's. Been listening to them pretty much all day today and yesterday. Mainly been listening to the albums The Dreadful Hours and Light At The End Of The World on repeat. Quite nostalgic, and I think these guys really set the seeds for my love of big long epic songs that slowly build up, so they made quite an impact on my musical taste.

Saw them live in 2001 and again this year at the Download festival, and they did not dissapoint.

They also did a rather interesting cover of the Portishead song Roads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Never really listened to much of their stuff, but am a huge fan of Irelands very own 'Mourning Beloveth' who are very heavily influenced by early My Dying Bride, absolutely stunning band, 'The Sullen Sulcus' is the best doom metal album ever written in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ironmandave

Light At The End Of The World great album . just digging it out now. fever sea still sound devestating

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

I like these guys but have always preferred Paradise Lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

bringing back memories here. i have some of their early stuff; As the Flower Withers, turn loose the swans, thrash of naked limbs but i haven't listened to them in yonks.

all with Paradise Lost and Anathema doom metal was really strong in the north of england in the early 90s. will have to give them a listen tonight to rejog my memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Pugsley wrote: »
    Never really listened to much of their stuff, but am a huge fan of Irelands very own 'Mourning Beloveth' who are very heavily influenced by early My Dying Bride, absolutely stunning band, 'The Sullen Sulcus' is the best doom metal album ever written in my opinion.

I think a lot of Irish metal bands have been influenced by MDB, I remember when I saw them back in 2001, they were supported by Mael Mordha and Honey For Christ, and both bands were definetly very influenced by them. I know the guys from Mael Mordha were extremely excited to be supporting.

Not knocking anyone else now, but for me, MDB were easily better than Anathema and Paradise Lost.

• Advertisement

Hmm, nobody else a fan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭nonamemark

Not in to them much myself but my friend loves them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Aye, been meaning to give them a proper chance as I like the stuff I've heard though never actually got round to getting hold of any of their albums. What album do you reccommend I procure first Hungus?

Ah, I think Turn Loose The Swans would be a good one. That was the first album of theirs I got, so it's a good introduction.

Advertisement