Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extremely slow Eircom

Options
  • 16-10-2007 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭

Once again my broadband has turned to total ****, I'm getting pure **** speeds and havent a clue why. Few friends say that it is due to the contention ratio?!

Web pages take ages to load, downloading anything takes hours upon hours, my pings on game severs are a complete joke so can't play online anymore.

I'm on 2MB Eircom in Lucan using a Netopia Cayman 3300 I got years ago with Ericom, these are the results I just done at speedtest.net.

193384946.png#

Yes, they're that bad, now I've a mate up the road and his is as fast as it should be.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong? I've rang them up and they say everything is fine?!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Holsten wrote: »
    Once again my broadband has turned to total ****, I'm getting pure **** speeds and havent a clue why. Few friends say that it is due to the contention ratio?!

Web pages take ages to load, downloading anything takes hours upon hours, my pings on game severs are a complete joke so can't play online anymore.

I'm on 2MB Eircom in Lucan using a Netopia Cayman 3300 I got years ago with Ericom, these are the results I just done at speedtest.net.

193384946.png#

Yes, they're that bad, now I've a mate up the road and his is as fast as it should be.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong? I've rang them up and they say everything is fine?!

If you want help it is absolutely useless posting simply a speed figure - no one can give any suggestions based solely on that. Please give the speed you are syncing at, how you connect to your modem/router - wireless or ethernet and most importantly your line stats.

Does your speed vary throughout the day? If your mate is also on eircom it is unlikely to be contention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

193384946.png#

WOW!:eek: That's the worst one in a while. Here's mine at 23:45 today:

193414087.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

dub45 wrote: »
    If you want help it is absolutely useless posting simply a speed figure - no one can give any suggestions based solely on that. Please give the speed you are syncing at, how you connect to your modem/router - wireless or ethernet and most importantly your line stats.

Does your speed vary throughout the day? If your mate is also on eircom it is unlikely to be contention.
    I connect to the modem with an ethernet cable, this stuff is on the modem page.

Line Attenuation: 33/21 dB
    Speed: 2048/256 (kbps)
    SN Margin (dB): Down 17.08 Up 22.00

Yes I find that the speed does vary throughout the day, like now it's total shít but later on it will be marginally better.

I connect to the modem with an ethernet cable, this stuff is on the modem page.

Line Attenuation: 33/21 dB
    Speed: 2048/256 (kbps)
    SN Margin (dB): Down 17.08 Up 22.00

Yes I find that the speed does vary throughout the day, like now it's total shít but later on it will be marginally better.

Is your mate who gets excellent speed also on Eircom and on the same exchange? Your line stats are excellent and you are syncing at the correct speed. Have you tried another filter?

dub45 wrote: »
    Is your mate who gets excellent speed also on Eircom and on the same exchange? Your line stats are excellent and you are syncing at the correct speed. Have you tried another filter?
    As far as I'm aware he is on the same exchange, the Lucan Ballydowd exchange. Just informed me he is on the Eircom Business line... ugh.

What do you mean another filter?

• Advertisement

As far as I'm aware he is on the same exchange, the Lucan Ballydowd exchange. Just informed me he is on the Eircom Business line... ugh.

What do you mean another filter?

I presume you have your dsl line and telephone line going into a microfilter?

Yep, the one I got from Eircom years ago, could that really be the problem?!

Where abouts could I get another one from?

Got another one there and tired it, still slow as ever. :(

Yep, the one I got from Eircom years ago, could that really be the problem?!

Where abouts could I get another one from?

Got another one there and tired it, still slow as ever. :(

Surely you could swap it with your mate's? Save you spending any money:D

Any chance of swopping his modem for an hour or two to see if the modem could be congtributing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

193384946.png#

It obviously isn't. Politely request that they call to you.

Ok checked with 4 other people in my area and they too have **** speeds, then at around 1 last night I done that speedtest and got 1.7kp/s, so I think it is the contenion.

Also rang up Eircom.. after an hour on the phone the guy said he was going to send some people out to check the lines.

Think I'll have to swtich to Magnet, way too many people around here use Eircom during the afternoon/evening.

Cheers for the help though! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 [DVDF]Merlin

Ok checked with 4 other people in my area and they too have **** speeds, then at around 1 last night I done that speedtest and got 1.7kp/s, so I think it is the contenion.

Also rang up Eircom.. after an hour on the phone the guy said he was going to send some people out to check the lines.

Think I'll have to swtich to Magnet, way too many people around here use Eircom during the afternoon/evening.

Cheers for the help though! :)
    Make sure that Magnet aren't using the eircom exchange near you, otherwise you'll have the same problems and be paying Magnet for it.

Make sure that Magnet aren't using the eircom exchange near you, otherwise you'll have the same problems and be paying Magnet for it.

If Magnet are lluing surely that should not be affected by any Eircom contention problems? In the short term it might be worth composing an old fashioned letter and sending it to the Chief Executive of Eircom pointing out that Eircom are obviously not treating their Lucan customers properly and that you will all leave en block if there is not an immediate improvement (get the neighbours to sign it as well) it is surprising what a letter like this can sometimes produce!

Hahahha interesting idea... though I'm pretty sure that most people around here don't notice or care about the crappy speeds that we get during the day.

I mean everyone around here has been saying "Oh yeah problems with Eircom at the mintue" It's been like this for months! Others don't know that they shouldn't be getting speeds of 100kp/s on a 2mb line.

Might give it a shot though, so pissed that these freakin' speeds.

Advertisement