Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PDA Rollout with GPS tracking

• 16-10-2007 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭

Ok heres the deal, i've been asked to rollout out PDAs to the engineers we having out accross ireland completeing jobs everyday.

PDA requirments are, Signature capture, built-in GPS, MS mobile 5 or higher, and ideally have a qwerty touch KB as well as a styles.

The device as to have GPS so we can track these?

Are you guys aware of any good companys that prvide this software that will track the device and report back real time? to a central server that we can log into and see where all the worker bees are????

Appreciate your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Gps software relies on received signals from the satellites..the pda wont transmit its position, for this you will need to fit a vehicle tracking system which works via a combination of gps and gsm. that way each vehicle will receive it loction via gps and relay it back to your server via gsm. the location and ID of each vehicle will then be super-imposed on a map back at your office.

if the PDA software requires the engineer to login when he is at a site and then logout when he leaves, you will be able to figure out roughly where he is...i say roughly cause he may be anywhere between the two jobs, ie en-route.

your best bet is a laptop or tablet pc, which they connect in the customers site to your server and do a sync,( cheaper too than some pdas ) or a pda with a built in sim card...but you will be paying well for it unless its using 3g. not every part of eire has good 3g cover in which case it will revert to GPRS, which is very expensive.

also consider that you need a unit with good battery life, and perhaps a car kit if it functions as a work phone as well. you could use blootooth but it will eat th battery.

oh and dont forget the union ( if you have one) might not bee as keen on your business plan as you are!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

OP Whats your budget?

You could try the HTC Tytn II or the Fujitsu Siemens LOOX T830. These phones are at oppisite ends of the pricing ladder.. It's the GPS that adds the price since it's still a relatively new feature in phones..

Also, as far as tracking is concerned..I'm sure there is software out there that will just take your co-ords and send to a server.(Come back to me in a year:D) only a few kb's (or even bytes) but if you will be rolling out a few of these then your Network might provide some sort of unlimited data plan.

Both phones are available from www.expansys.ie who provide some sort of discount for 5 or more devices..

Oh and I am in no way affiliated with expansys:D

Advertisement