Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The right Scent?.

• 16-10-2007 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I`m a Clinique "Happy" Girl, lately though I was thinking of going for a change. I`d like to try a perfume that is voluptuous and seductive, not too heavy or granny like. Predominantly for evening time.

I have samples that my brother gave me. I quite liked and kept going back to "Nina" by Nina Ricci. I wonder if this scent could be a bit old?, I`m in the early twenties age bracket. I found the "Christina Aguilera" perfume nothing to be writing home about, not saying its terrible, jus`different tastes. I really liked "Rock Rose" by Valentino, I imagine this may be the most expensive one!:rolleyes:.

Budget wise, I`m looking for something special but I am also a student;).

Thank you if you have gotten this far.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭KlondikePaddy

I`m a Clinique "Happy" Girl, lately though I was thinking of going for a change. I`d like to try a perfume that is voluptuous and seductive, not too heavy or granny like. Predominantly for evening time.

I have samples that my brother gave me. I quite liked and kept going back to "Nina" by Nina Ricci. I wonder if this scent could be a bit old?, I`m in the early twenties age bracket. I found the "Christina Aguilera" perfume nothing to be writing home about, not saying its terrible, jus`different tastes. I really liked "Rock Rose" by Valentino, I imagine this may be the most expensive one!:rolleyes:.

Budget wise, I`m looking for something special but I am also a student;).

Thank you if you have gotten this far.

Is the scent bearer voluptuous and seductive-that helps too ha ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Well, you`ll have to use your imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Well perfume is very personal - well in theory, although many people buy a perfume because they like the celebrity who put their name to it - so I think it's quite difficult to recommend perfumes. I wouldn't worry about smelling 'old', if you like the perfume who cares who wears it? And besides most good perfumes aren't age specific, it's personal taste. I'm talking about the traditional, well-established brands like Chanel, Calvin Klein, Estee Lauder etc as opposed to the latest Britney or Paris fragrance clearly aimed at 13 year olds.
    Anyway, my favourite is Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel (I wear it all the tme and love it!). Of the new perfumes about at the moment, I really lake Daisy by Marc Jacobs and surprisingly Mariah Carey's new scent.
    I know you're on a budget (I'm a student too) but I wouldn't be tempted into buying cheap perfumes at all. They smell awful generally (like the charlie perfumes!) and even if you found an okay one it probably wouldn't last. If you really don't want to splurge you'd be better off going to somewhere like the Body Shop. They have a new range of fragrances or even just their body mists, lotions, soaps, washes etc have gorgeous scents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Op I reckon the best thing to do is go in to a store and take a load of those bits of cardboard they give ya.
    Spray on a few scents you like and take them home.
    You can only tell what a perfume is like after a few hours, so pick whatever stands out when you get home.

Nothing worse than buying something you regret...it's all up to your personal taste!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Firstlt, ignore Klondike Paddy, he's a troll

Secondly, just try a large store with loads of different scents!
    My personnal faves are Darling by Kylie, it's really nice, not too strong but just leaves a whiff around you, (Im bad at explaining these things!)
    Babydoll Paris by YSL, can't spell the full name, yevot saint lauret or summit, it's very sweet and girly, quite expensive for a student budget though ~€50 for standard small bottle,
    the turquoise Ralph Lauren, the best way I have of describing that is in the car with my mam one day she asked what I was wearing cuz apparently I smelt nice n sweet like summit she wanted to eat!
    And finally Angel can't think of who it's by but it's in a little blue star shaped bottle, really really nice, and the great thing about it it's desinged to adapt entirely to your own body scent, so it may be musky on one person and really sweet on another, but always has this overall lovely scent...

• Advertisement

My very favourite is "Dune" by Dior.
    And Ck1.
    Don't worry about perfumes being too old for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,653 ✭✭✭✭fits

For something different, you could try looking in neu bleu eriu or l'occitane...

Probably no cheaper than the branded ones, but more personal I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I used to use 'Happy' too OP, really liked it. I got the original Vera Wang one afterwards and really liked that too; always got loads of compliments on it. Ralph Lauren 'Romance' is gorgeous too, might be worth a try.
    Le Rack wrote:
    And finally Angel can't think of who it's by but it's in a little blue star shaped bottle...
    Pretty sure it's Thierry Mugler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭lubie76

I used to wear 'Happy' by Clinique as I like that nice fresh citrusy smell. Try Jo Malone 'Lime Basil and Mandarin' in BT's. Bit more expensive but you only need the tiniest squirt. I love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

You know if you're really on a budget Next have their own brand of perfumes and some of them are gorgeous. Only €15 for a nice sized bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

for evening time i usually wear Hugo Boss "Intense" or Jean Paul Gautier "Classique"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

The Angel one sounds interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

I used to wear happy by clinique too, but recently ive been wearing Light Blue by Dolce and Gabanna..i love it and was even asked by a total stranger what scent I was wearing as she sed it was lovely!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Moschino "(I Love) Love" is nice and citrusy. "L'eau D'Issey D'ete" by Issey Miyake (in green bottle) is beautiful and breezy. It was a limited release for summer but you could maybe get it online?

Advertisement