Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should a cpu fan always be on?

Options
  • 16-10-2007 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

Have my computer open and noticed that the CPU fan turns off a few seconds after startup (it turns on initially). Is this normal. Its an AMD CPU fwiw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Have my computer open and noticed that the CPU fan turns off a few seconds after startup (it turns on initially). Is this normal. Its an AMD CPU fwiw.

Not sure if its normal or not. My Intel cpu fan does the same for a sec. Apparently a motherboard bios update does the trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

It started up after about 5 minutes, when it got warm. Perhaps it's normal operation for it. I always thought they were always on. Its a media center pc so it might be doing its best to stay quite.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

On a decent motherboard, it will keep the fan off until a certain temperature is reached and then up the fan speed slowly as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

astrofool wrote: »
    On a decent motherboard, it will keep the fan off until a certain temperature is reached and then up the fan speed slowly as needed.

Cool (tee hee:).

Advertisement