Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom dsl problem

Options
  • 16-10-2007 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

hi
    i have been having problems with my eircom broadband, Every so often the dsl light on my router goes off nd my ps3 nd pc get completely disconnected,then a few seconds later the light goes back on and i can use the broadband again. its really annoying and happens 4-5 times a night anyone have an idea wats wrong? help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

post your line stats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

im not exactly sure wat you mean but, im from donegal and on the 2mb eircom service with 20gb cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

paul150 wrote: »
    im not exactly sure wat you mean but, im from donegal and on the 2mb eircom service with 20gb cap.
    He means the info about your phone line. To get them, open up you web browser and visit the address: http://192.168.1.254 This is the default address of eircom's Netopia router.

Post up what's in the main page, such as line attenuation and signal-to-noise ratio [SNR].

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The same thing often happens me. Sometimes for prolonged periods (30 minutes or so)

It is PROBABLY to do with phone line, IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

The line attenuation is 46/25 db

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Same happens here, its gone so bad it makes me kind of mad

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

BadCharlie wrote: »
    Same happens here, its gone so bad it makes me kind of mad

The point is that there is no point in being mad do something about it - have you attempted to diagnose what might be wrong?

paul150 wrote: »
    The line attenuation is 46/25 db

46 is on the margins for 2mbits , its more like a 1mbit line .

what stats do you get with everything in the house unplugged, even the filters, and just the netopia plugged in ??

Could it be the modem they supply ?
    I think there are very good modems our there that will help if your on a bad line. Anyone know of them as i might try my luck with one ?

I have lived in two houses the past year and both houses had the same problem with eircom. Every ones in a while you just lose singnal, its like as if the modem goes into sleep mode for 30sec's then comes back on.

dub45 wrote: »
    The point is that there is no point in being mad do something about it - have you attempted to diagnose what might be wrong?

I would not know were to start to be honest. Have gone from wireless to using lan cable but still same problem. Will unplug phone tonight and just connect directly into the main socket and c how it goes.

But one thing i will say its only the last 2 weeks its gone like this with the poor internet connection from about 8pm to 10pm each night.

• Advertisement

run line stats

disconnect everything in the house including filters

plug in dsl only

run line stats

Im getting this

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128
    SN Margin (dB) 14.00 8.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 53.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 3 0

Not sure what that means. Its now 11:32pm and i get this result. I ran eircom and they are going to send someone out to my house and see if they can fix the problem.

Its also from about 6:30 to 10pm each night with very poor internet connection.

Charlie

The key figures are

1. you only have a 1mbit line, 1024 down , thats all that eircom are giving you , you should not be paying for 2mbits

2. its 53db , consistent with 3 miles + length

3. the MARGIN is 14, should be 10 and must be at least 8. So its a stable 1mbit line

4. It is not and should not be 2mbits , stick to 1mbit and that looks fine .

5. eircom may have (correctly) downgraded you to 1024 to stabilise it.

Its only one meg.
    So are you saying its fine, looking at them numbers ?

Im going to log into modem again when my connection gets well bad and see if i get differint numbers then posted above.

Somone from eircom is coming out to my house ( they have to ring first ). And prob going to check my house line connection to see if they can find some sort off problem. But that would not explain why my connection from about 10:30pm each night all off a suden gets good.

Just sounds to me there are to many houses all on the same line all on the internet at the same time.

Have tryed differint modem's, using no filter. From wirless to lan cable noting has worked.

It looks like a good one meg, there is no point having a crap 2meg if a good 1meg will do .

If its slows then run the stats again to see if the line has degraded. If the stats are fine then its contention , especially 7pm-11pm

Advertisement