Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nervous Dog

Options
  • 16-10-2007 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all!

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice or tips on a problem I'm having with my dog. She's about seven months old and is generally very obediant, however she's very nervous of other dogs despite being mixed with dogs from a young age. She hides behing me and trys to run away from other dogs when she sees them. Does anyone know any ways that could help build up her confidence with other dogs?? We also have another bitch that's about one year old and she's completly fine with other dogs.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

She needs to be socialized as much as possible( with safe dogs).
    Don't baby her , don't pet her or molly her while she exhits the unwanted behaviour.
    She'll come round to the idea that other dogs can be fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dancing-columbo

Thanks for the advice Amimad, especially about not petting her while she's nervous. I never knew that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rubie

My dog was the same and is a lot better now. I just ignored her when we met another dog and she soon stopped looking up at me to see if it was okay to say hello (like asking my permission!). I also find that when she is off lead she isn't half as shy or nervous. I was told it is because when they are on the lead they know that they can't run and hide if they get scared and so get nervous about the other dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Thanks for the advice Amimad, especially about not petting her while she's nervous. I never knew that.

It's a basic part of dog training. You only reward good behavior. If you pay attention to your dog when it is exhibiting behavior you do not want, you are rewarding it for that act. And thus, the dog well see it as proper behavior. Remember, a dog is not a child. It does not reason comfort. It only reasons good and bad. You want to only act 'good' when it's behavior is 'good'. Otherwise it is better to correct the dog, or act as though nothing bad is happening - that being around other dogs is natural.

WYK

Advertisement