Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build. Please comment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

With the 4gb Ram you will need to get Vista 64bit as the 32bit doesn't fully recognise 4gb. I haven't heard of that power supply. I recently ordered the Corsair 620watt which gets glorious reviews! http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=327672

I also have the same memory and sound card as you! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

I was just gonna edit and mention it was the 32 bit I was going for! I'd be sceptical about the 64bit version. Do you know much about it? Is it gonna be troublesome?

h8red wrote: »
    I was just gonna edit and mention it was the 32 bit I was going for! I'd be sceptical about the 64bit version. Do you know much about it? Is it gonna be troublesome?

Well I got it myself because of the memory issues. I haven't really come accross any major issues myself. However, my old IDE DVD drive isn't working but I am not sure if thats don't to vista or not.

I suppose may go for it anyway if I want that RAM. That Corsair 620W looks nice alright.

This is what I got recently, the psu and dvd drive should arrive tommorrow. The rest is up and running! I ordered it all from Komplett apart from the case.

Case: Antec P182 Special Edition
    Motherboard: ABIT IP35-E
    CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Memory:OCZ Gold XTC PC6400 4GB
    Graphics Card: Evga GeForce 8800GTS 320MB
    Sound Card: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor: Samsung 226CW
    PSU: Corsair 620w
    DVD Drive: Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S203N, 20x
    Hard Drive: Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2

• Advertisement

I suppose may go for it anyway if I want that RAM. That Corsair 620W looks nice alright.

Yea alot of people on here and other forums recommended it to me. If you google it you will see some postive reviews!

I like the fact that its modular cables. Makes things neater!

Also, your choice of graphics card is probably a bit overkill at the moment! I was going to go for that one myself but after a bit of research I realised that I will probably be upgrading the card again in a year or two so no need to splash out too much now.

The 8800gts 320mb runs all the latest demos really well. I haven't got the full games yet but if the demos run good then the full games should. Bioshock is astonishing on it. As is Timeshift, MOH: Airborne, COD 4.

I tinkered with the Crysis beta but its very buggy so can't really say if it will run that ok. I am sure it will. The demo is out in a week or so.

Yeah. Have you any idea when 9000 series cards will be comin out?

Yeah. Have you any idea when 9000 series cards will be comin out?

Haven't a clue, ask uncle google!!

I think there is to be some new cards out to coincide with the release of Crysis which would mean before christmas!

The graphics card market gives me a pain in my h**e cos I usually go for the most expensive ones and they're outdated a few months later! I can get my hands on the 8800GTX for €400 tho. So I'm mighty tempted.

• Advertisement

The graphics card market gives me a pain in my h**e cos I usually go for the most expensive ones and they're outdated a few months later! I can get my hands on the 8800GTX for €400 tho. So I'm mighty tempted.

I am the same, I always want the top stuff. Motherboards are what wreck my head! Its impossible to pick the right one! Graphics cards are easier its basically down to how much your willing to spend.

We are only at the very early stage of DirectX 10 cards. So there will be bigger and better ones released over time. I can see myself upgrading it again in 12 months.

Oh and €246 for a flipping case? Holy sweet bejesus!

I'm gonna go sleep on it! Thanks for the input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

i have pretty much the exact same build too - Vista 64bit if fine. No problems at all. One thing tho, when ur making the PC - put in one stick of 2gigs, then install vista. Then go onto Microsoft and download the patch to use 4gigs, install it, put in the other stick of RAM, and bang...all works fine

Seriously I have a load of games on 64bit vista and work perfectly. Only one thing is having to get the drivers for some things for 64bit...sometimes its a bit of work, but dont let it put u off

Cool. That's a nice tip about the RAM. Any comments on the Dual vs Quad Core CPU? Which did you go for? I'm thinking not too many games are going to use the Quad core but it would speed up Vista which I imagine has more processes than a motherf**ker!

Cool. That's a nice tip about the RAM. Any comments on the Dual vs Quad Core CPU? Which did you go for? I'm thinking not too many games are going to use the Quad core but it would speed up Vista which I imagine has more processes than a motherf**ker!

quad core all the way man...I'm glad I got one - definitely wouldnt choose the other way. I actually by accident had the new Settlers VI game and Battlefield 2 and Windows Media Player open on it last night, with an update downloading and everything was working perfectly lol.....

seriously quad core - apparently new games will be making full use of them and its still freakin fast even if u dont overclock, which i havent the slightest clue how to do

SOLD! I'll go for the Quad. More future-proof too.

About the case. I'm not going to be watercooling. So would I get away with this?
    http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Chassis/fulltower/kandalf/va9000bws.asp

I can get it on Pixmania for €162 + €14 shipping. Anyone have one of these?
    The hard drive cage seems to be in a weird spot...

iOne thing tho, when ur making the PC - put in one stick of 2gigs, then install vista. Then go onto Microsoft and download the patch to use 4gigs, install it, put in the other stick of RAM, and bang...all works fine

Hmm, I didn't do this and mine seems to work fine!

py2006 wrote: »
    Hmm, I didn't do this and mine seems to work fine!

might just be my motherboard....

works fine now anyway. u generally arent supposed to be able to install 4gigs ram on it during the vista installation...apparently lol

SOLD! I'll go for the Quad. More future-proof too.

About the case. I'm not going to be watercooling. So would I get away with this?
    http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Chassis/fulltower/kandalf/va9000bws.asp

I can get it on Pixmania for €162 + €14 shipping. Anyone have one of these?
    The hard drive cage seems to be in a weird spot...

My friend has that case...only thing i dont like - doesnt have a big ass fan on the side

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=326306

that one does tho - and it kinda looks a bit nicer i think. still both are grand tho - whatever u want really...personally id go for my own :P

That's a nice case. It has the hard drive cage up high near the power supply too. Can you move it down and to the front? Or does it matter?

• Advertisement

That's a nice case. It has the hard drive cage up high near the power supply too. Can you move it down and to the front? Or does it matter?

i dunno... i have my hard drives at the bottom front of the case like normal...theres loads a space tho - u can pretty much put it all where u want inside it like

Nice one. Thanks for all the help everyone. I think I'm ready for action. Considering that I'm probably going to want to overclock this at some stage I'm going to get this power supply:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=329026

Should do the trick..

might just be my motherboard....

works fine now anyway. u generally arent supposed to be able to install 4gigs ram on it during the vista installation...apparently lol

Actually, now that I think of it I installed it with just 2gig and then added the extra stick!

py2006 wrote: »
    Actually, now that I think of it I installed it with just 2gig and then added the extra stick!

in yo face biatch lol....:D

in yo face biatch lol....:D

I didn't have to install a patch though....Biatch! :p

Advertisement