Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ThatGuy - from Scrawnage to Brawnage

Options
  • 17-10-2007 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

I've been messing around with the weights, running and general fitness on-and-off for a while.

Now I have the time (and a bargain of a gym membership) I'm getting my training and nutrition in order.

Going to use this log to keep track of progress, and hopefully have some input from the more experienced members.

Stats

(as of Wednesday 17th Oct 2007)
    • Weight 170lb
    • Height 6'00
    • Bench 1RM - 96kg
    • Burpees (max) - 29
    • PressUps - 25+ before fatigue
    • Pull-Ups - not worth mentioning
    • 2 mile run PB - 11mins approx

Goals
    • Increase Mass - should be 185lb this time 12 weeks
    • Cardio - increase stamina and 2 mile PB
    • Core - 'core', not just abs - aiming to train this daily
    • Conditioning - aiming to complete the 'warrior challenges' (see rossboxing) and cycle them through the weeks
    • Grip/Forearm strength - need to start training this religiously

Training Week

(1st 12 week cycle)

Focusing on compound lifts in gym - little to no isolation work

• Mon -- gym, core, grip
    • Tue -- conditioning drills, core
    • Wed -- gym, core, grip
    • Thur -- density training for pull-ups and press-ups -- >> still not sure about this day
    • Fri -- gym, core, grip
    • Sat -- cardio, intervals (tabata/fartlek) and hill sprints
    • Sun -- light cardio, cycle or run, core

ending every session with different finishers (farmers walk, plank, car push ...)

Tools of the Trade
    (in no particular order)
    • Timer (for intervals, tabata etc)
    • Body Weight + chairs etc for dips/ elevated push-ups
    • Weights - DBs and BB - plates
    • Running shoes
    • Heavy Bag
    • Speed Rope
    • 5kg Medicine ball
    • Climbing Rope
    • Chinning Bar + towels (grip work)
    • Decline Sit-Up Board
    • Sledge Hammer (14lb) + Tyre
    • CoC Hand Gripper (100lb) - on the way
    A lot of equipment I've accumulated over the years, It's all useful in some way - I'll be cycling all of it during the weeks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Looks like a good set up.

My one word of warning would be that you'll need to be careful of doing TOO much.

Since you're doing a 12 weeks cycle, you could think about doing say 3 weeks of dedicated grip work, 3 weeks of dedicated core work, and then repeat, trying to beat the week 3 numbers about week 8 and then hitting PR's on week 9, and for the core work week 11 the second time around, and then hitting new records in week 12.

You'll probably struggle to contiune to push for 12 straight weeks.

Another option is to cycle exercises;
    3 weeks on farmers walks
    3 weeks on timed barbell holds
    3 weeks on plate pinches
    3 weeks on farmers walks again

You could use these as the MAIN grip exercise and treat sledge work and grippers as an accessory (like you would use dumbbell pressing to drive up your bench press).

Any way, good luck with it. Can't wait to see how you progres!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Hanley wrote: »

Another option is to cycle exercises;
    3 weeks on farmers walks
    3 weeks on timed barbell holds
    3 weeks on plate pinches
    3 weeks on farmers walks again

You could use these as the MAIN grip exercise and treat sledge work and grippers as an accessory (like you would use dumbbell pressing to drive up your bench press).

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from - but I'm quick to load on the grip work as it's always been my main weakness or 'limiting factor' as one of the lads put it.

I've ordered one of the 'Captains of Crush' grippers, so looking forward to using that.

Also, I'm looking into investing in a good quality, durable sandbag - maybe 150lb capacity and using it for a few circuits and finishers. I've come across plenty of articles on using them in training.
    Any way, good luck with it. Can't wait to see how you progres!

Thanks for that. Sure, have a look back in the coming days / weeks. I'll have a few questions for the more experienced lifters, no doubt.

Compound Movements
    (for the Gym days)

Mon - Wed - Fri
    • Squat
    • Deadlift
    • Dip
    • Pull-Up
    • Bench Press
    • Military Press
    • Bent-Over Row

Mon -- deadlift, pull-ups, bent-over row
    Wed -- bench, military-press, dip
    Fri -- squat and other 'explosive' leg work (need to find exercises and drills)

Sets and Reps

Starting with typical bodybuilding reps of 6-8
    as much as I can handle without sacrificing form
    1min rest between sets

Still need to figure out my 1RM for some of the exercises

It's starting to shape up anyway :)

If you're looking for explosive work then powercleans fit the bill perfectly. Pause squats are another good option.

RE: grip work being the weak link, I agree you need to train the hell out of it if it's holding you back, just be aware of pushing it TOO hard initally. Like it'd be very easy to push say farmers walks super hard for a few weeks and then make no progress over the next few because you're so used to them. That's why I like to structure my traning in 3 week blocks, it allows me to push the lift really hard, then get away from it for 3-6 weeks and hopefully come back to it even stronger. It allows for constant progress.

I know you listed goals, but it there a specific task you're wishing to excel at or are you jsut concerned with becoming a stronger and fitter person overall?

I know you listed goals, but it there a specific task you're wishing to excel at or are you just concerned with becoming a stronger and fitter person overall?

That'd be it alright. I'm far from weak or unfit at the minute, but just one of those things I want to take to the next level - if you get me.

Some insane bodyweight skills and strength stuff like planch push-ups and flags etc I want to eventually work towards. Just building my size and base now.

Nothing better than setting yourself short and long term goals - and sticking with them.

• Advertisement

I'd love to be able to do some of that bodyweight stuff alright. I don't think it'd happen at close to 100kg tho.

Good luck with it anyways! You should try picking some lifting targets in addition to your 2 mile run one and work towards them too. If you haven't already like.

There was a few months a year or two back when I first started into the weight training - and I managed to increase the loads and volume on a few lifts (bench, leg presses etc).

Definitely looking to get back into the big lifts.

But for the first 12 weeks I'm focusing on mass and size aswell as overall strength.
    So should I be following a body-building style routine in terms of sets, reps, loading or what'd be the best way to do it?

Only thing is I want to keep up the conditioning (sledge, burpees etc) and cardio work as much as the weights ... am I taking too much on or will it just go towards getting me fitter and leaner overall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

ThatGuy wrote: »
    Also, I'm looking into investing in a good quality, durable sandbag - maybe 150lb capacity and using it for a few circuits and finishers. I've come across plenty of articles on using them in training.

Ironmins do a great sandbag product.....one main "large bag" with lots of smaller bags that you fill with sand and put in it. This is great as it makes it easy to vary the weight so you can do all kinds of things like throws, Turkish Get Ups and Sled Drags and it's easy to change the weight of the bag.

Dragan wrote: »
    Ironmins do a great sandbag product.....one main "large bag" with lots of smaller bags that you fill with sand and put in it. This is great as it makes it easy to vary the weight so you can do all kinds of things like throws, Turkish Get Ups and Sled Drags and it's easy to change the weight of the bag.

Thanks for that Dragan. Now the long wait til I get my wages ;)

I'm starting the 12 week programme from scratch on Monday - but going to the college gym in an hour to try this workout.
    A slightly modified WoW (sticky)

3 Rounds for Time

30kg Deadlift x 10

-- >> still not happy with my form, so not going to go heavy until I get someone to show me the right way

Push Ups x 20, 15, 15
    -- >> 3 types for the 3 rounds (standard, w/ medicine ball switch, plyometric)

Plank x 45 seconds
    Hindu Squats x 25
    Farmer Walk with 60% Bodyweight by 10 paces, turn, 10 paces.
    Short Finisher

x 3 sets (minimal rest)

Burpees x 5
    Pull-Ups x 5

Tricep Bench Dip x 10
    -- >> I said I wouldn't use isolation work, but making an exception for the finishers

I'll post my time after.

Great workout - but not even worth posting the times.

The free weights area was a joke. The usual group of posers were there again, parked on the bench and leaning against the squat rack etc, doing sweet fcuk all (wasn't too surprised).

Who comes into the gym with a head full of gel and wearing jeans, seriously? :mad:

Some other lad was messing about and kicking the only decent medicine ball in the place, which I needed for one the press-up variations.

I pushed ahead with the workout anyway but took a lot longer than it would have on a different day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

I hate those faggits. You shouldda thrown a 10lb db at their heads, that'll learn em

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

walt0r wrote: »
    I hate those faggits. You shouldda thrown a 10lb db at their heads, that'll learn em

anger management waltor we discussed this in a previous thread of yours :p

get someone else to throw the db

PeakOutput wrote: »
    anger management waltor we discussed this in a previous thread of yours :p

get someone else to throw the db

Delegate ;)

walt0r wrote: »
    You shouldda thrown a 10lb db at their heads, that'll learn em

Ha, could've done that and said I was doing some plyo DB shot putt stuff ...

Ryt, last nights core circuit:
    1st Circuit x 3

Crunches x 20

Sit-Ups x 20
    -- >> w/ 5kg medicine ball overhead

Abwheel Roll-Outs x 15
    -- >> from knees

2nd Circuit x 3

Leg Raises x 10

Russian Twists x 10
    -- >> each side, 5kg med ball

V-Ups x 10
    -- >> w/ medicine ball held in front of me

Short, intense workout with minimal rest. Was happy enough with it.
    Finisher

Plank x 15 secs
    Press-Up x 10
    Plank x 15
    Press-Up x 10
    Plank x 30

Few notes on structuring the core workouts - might be useful for others.

'Core' encompasses a whole lot of the body and a whole lot of movement, and not merely the 6-pack look most train for.
    Generally it can be broken up into:

Movement
    • Trunk extension/flexion
    • Lateral trunk felxion/extension
    • Hip flexion/extension
    • Rotation
    Purpose
    • 1. Stabilization
    • 2. Force Redirection
    • 3. Movement

Training needs will vary considerably depending on the specific sport and goals.
    But irrespective of what you're aiming for, in most cases the priority is not movement, but stabilization.

There aren't a lot of circumstances that really require impressive trunk movement. Maybe some combat sports, BJJ or wrestling.

But nearly all activities benefit from the ability to keep the hips and spine securely held in order to stabilize the body, absorb force, or transmit force.

So while most people consider "core" training ab-work such like trunk flexion or hip flexion ...
    Aim to steer more toward work like odd-object or Oly-derivative lifts.

e.g. sand bag carries, cleans, squats ... if you perform heavy front squats you'll understand this concept immediately.

--

Personally, I'll structure my core work into brief but intense circuits of 3 to 5, and use 3-4 exercises per circuit to target all core muscle groups. I won't just knock out 90 crunches and call it a day.

It's going to be a short enough workout tonight - have a bit of study to get out of the way.

I've been reading up on DB and Barbell complexes over the last while - so here's my attempt.
    • Short warm-up jog 100m x 2
    • Stretches etc
    BB Circuit x 2
    20kg
    • Front Squat x 10
    • Hang clean x 10
    • Military Press x 10
    • Bent Over Row x 10
    • Lunge x 10 (each leg w/ from front squat position)
    • Stiff-Leg Deadlift x 10
    • Front Squat x 10 reps
      (drop weight)
    • Standing Calf Raise x 15 (each leg, BB on back)
    2min rest ... repeat

Finisher
    • Same as warm-up

Now - it might look like a lot of exercises for 1 complex - but I'm only putting myself through 2 sets tonight, and targetting as many muscle groups as I can.

I'll post results in a while.
    Any input or comments would be appreciated.

Right - gym session for today ...

Monday -- Bench, Military-Press, Dip (nowhere to dip; so doing tricep pull-downs instead)
    Warm-Up
    Treadmill x 10mins

Bench x 15, 12, 10, 10, 8

Military-Press x 8, 8, 8

Tricep Pull-Downs x 15, 12, 10, 10, 8

Core Circuit

Finisher
    Farmers Walk x 20 paces w/ 50kg DB's
    Calf Raises x 20 w/ 30kg DB's

Well, if I'm going to take this seriously - I might as well do it right.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=That%2DGuy

Obviously I'm not to going to get the time to update this journal and the fitday one daily - but once I have an idea of it and start seeing progress I'll be happy.

Well this is just the pits, I'm off training for a while with a chest infection and feckin sinusitis ... so just taking the time to read up on types of training and re-assess my training and goals.

Bit of a set back, but it happens :(

Advertisement