Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AMAZING new bus stop on O'Connell Street

• 17-10-2007 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Well, for Ireland anyway. The bus stop for the 10, 46a etc has been replaced with something from another city. It has route maps and timetables that make sense and it's all yellow and professional looking. The buses serving the stop are written clearly in large text on a table. It also has a small disc above it that says OQ (make sense to anyone?)

I didn't get to have a good look because my bus arrived at the stop as soon as I did. It's quite sad but I was actually tempted not to get on, so in awe was I of this bus stop. It's the last thing you'd expect from Dublin Bus. Amazing, as I said.

I have little faith, though, that it will ever have any fellow amazing bus stops. It's just too good to be true. Has anyone else seen it? Maybe you could describe it in better detail than I have.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Xylophonic

More information about it here: http://p201.ezboard.com/fbustravelirelandfrm8.showMessage?topicID=1466.topic

They do look quite spectacular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

armada104 wrote: »
    Well, for Ireland anyway. The bus stop for the 10, 46a etc has been replaced with something from another city. It has route maps and timetables that make sense and it's all yellow and professional looking. The buses serving the stop are written clearly in large text on a table. It also has a small disc above it that says OQ (make sense to anyone?)

I didn't get to have a good look because my bus arrived at the stop as soon as I did. It's quite sad but I was actually tempted not to get on, so in awe was I of this bus stop. It's the last thing you'd expect from Dublin Bus. Amazing, as I said.

I have little faith, though, that it will ever have any fellow amazing bus stops. It's just too good to be true. Has anyone else seen it? Maybe you could describe it in better detail than I have.

Pretty much a carbon copy of the TfL style stops in London, one of the best applications of bus stop information anywhere.

The letters on the top are an identifier for the stop to help people find the correct stop in areas with multiple stops. It will be used on timetables and maps like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The initial tender is for 100 stops, primarily in the city centre.

In the longer term it will be rolled out across the city.

Finally some common sense and Dublin Bus adopting the TfL spec which is to be honest the model for bus services.

Hopefully in the case of lower frequency routes, the times won't be frequency based!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

About time too - now if only we had proper stop-based timetables we'd be in business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

BUT! smart and user friendly as they are they only show DB buses of course. Mortons and AMC and whoever else will have their own branded bus stops which is most definitely NOT the TfL model!

DTA long overdue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Looks much better, but I still cant understand why they dont have much more covered busstops assuming the amount of rain we get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

Looks much better, but I still cant understand why they dont have much more covered busstops assuming the amount of rain we get.

That requires planning permission - which is not always granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

And which the council won't let them build on O'Connell St (for asthetic reasons) and I think not in other parts of the city centre either (usually because the footpaths are too narrow).

It would be interesting to see if the bus companies could work together to split the cost of the bus stops between them? Although without integrated ticketing, etc it would probably just end up confusing passengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

markpb wrote: »
    And which the council won't let them build on O'Connell St (for asthetic .
    It might also explain why the new poles are sprayed grey,
    in some areas they are sprayed YELLOW to make them more visible for the visually impaired, but not on O'connell street by the looks of things.

AH well, the timetable hanging off the pole should make it visible anyway so that's good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

markpb wrote: »
    And which the council won't let them build on O'Connell St (for asthetic reasons) and I think not in other parts of the city centre either (usually because the footpaths are too narrow).

It would be interesting to see if the bus companies could work together to split the cost of the bus stops between them? Although without integrated ticketing, etc it would probably just end up confusing passengers.

While historically it might have been the case, it has now unfortunately nothing to do with asthetics, but rather more a spat over advertising revenue. Dublin City Council want to get all of the revenue from street furniture in the city centre and hence there are virtually no bus shelters in the city centre.

Hence the DCC deal with JC Deceaux for advertising signs across the city.

And yes it would be far better for all the companies to use the same stops but in the current climate that is not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Do a search on the Bord Pleanalla website for bus shelter, there are loads that are appealed all the way, mainly by NIMBYS who believe that they own the public highway within 100feet of their properties.

There have been alot of new shelters put up in the last few years but the planning process is expensive and slow, it must take Adshel years to recoup the cost of all that legal nonsense for many sites.

I'm sure if there was a fast-track process many more sites would get them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They look brillant, a dead ringer for London Buses' obviously, but that's no bad thing!

Now if only we can get Irish Rail to put up big signs outside all railway stations (like the one at Connolly will do nicely) saying "IE" and the station name in big letters! They could take a look at National Rail (nee BR)'s design, it works well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

KC61 wrote: »
    The initial tender is for 100 stops, primarily in the city centre.

In the longer term it will be rolled out across the city.

Finally some common sense and Dublin Bus adopting the TfL spec which is to be honest the model for bus services.

Hopefully in the case of lower frequency routes, the times won't be frequency based!

If handled properly, this could be the best thing to happen to bus information in a long time. In my view routes which have regular departures such as the 46a, 10 etc roughly the same amount apart for long periods frequency is good

However there are some timetables out there, that have gaps of 15, 20, 15, 25, 45, 20 and so on etc so frequency timings is not going to work for these as the gaps are not equal Well they can put them up on the timetable as every x minutes but it won't be very accurate when the gaps are so variable.

If this is done badly with frequency based and the full timetables disapear from everywhere this can be used to help abuse timetables especially when used in conjunction with the phrase "About every xx minutes" as has been seen with other operators in Europe as it makes it easier to increase time between buses as if for example under the old you have buses scheduled leave at 6.10, 6.20, 6.30, 6.40, 6.50. 7.00 under the new system it would be possible to say have 6.13, 6.25, 6.38, 6.51, 7.03 etc whih allows less buses as the service gaps are bigger, and Dublin bus can say "Well it's still about every 10 minutes"

Advertisement