Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommy Tiernan

Options
  • 17-10-2007 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when tickets are on sale for the 2nd run of his new show are on sale? And what dates the 2nd run are on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭seanieclarke

anyone know if his new show is any good?

i am amazed he has 40 dates in vicar street line up. admittedly the dates spread out a bit but it shows the demand is there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Hes on the late late.

Eyes glazed as usual. a bit funny.

meh, im tired of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    Eyes glazed as usual..

i noticed that.....for a guy who doesnt drink he always seems drunk on that show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭lucyburn

I love Tommy,i think he's the best stand up ever.
    I've seen him two times live and can't wait to see him in Vicar street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I got 3 tickets. Myself, wife and her friend from work. Turns out though their christmas party is on the same night so they are torn. I think its the 14th we are going.

He is one of the best, right up there with Billy connelly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Seen his latest show months ago in St. Stevens Green - bud light comedy festival thing!! The actual show i went to was recorded and on DVD now on sale!!

After buying the dvd, i must say it didnt live up to the actual show!! never do, do they!!! :D

Seen all his shows - and must say that this one had a great start but fizzled out a fair bit... 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Is the show he's touring with now the same as the one that's on the new DVD?

I was at one of the Iveagh Gardens shows that was recorded and I thought it was awful. Nothing but knob jokes for the whole thing, none of the storytelling he used to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

I'm going to see him tonight I can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

Apparently Mr Tiernan has caused a bit of controversy over there in Ireland:

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2007/11/29/6095/tommy_under_fire

• Advertisement

tbh im a tiernan fan, and im goin to see him on the 16th....but when i read that i think he went a bit far! ill have to reserve my judgement however, untill i see him! anyone who has seen the show have any opinion?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I was in Vicar Street last night & he did the "offensive" material again. He mentioned all the furore at the start of the gig & spent time justifying it. The show itself wasn't as good as a few years back when I saw him at the same venue. He's more into actions is goes a more manic but the jokes aren't as good as before. It still wouldn't put me off seeing him again.

By the way the handicap slagging is much a do about nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Theatrebuff

Bought tickets today for the Kilkenny, Lyrath Hotel gig, in Feb. Really looking forward to it.

Saw Eleanor Tiernan's show in Edinburgh at Fringe this year she has real talent, pity there was only about 10 of us in the audience. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

I seen Tommy on Friday last (30th) in Vicar Street. Good God people! How in the name of Christ anyone and i mean ANYONE could have possibly been offended by that material is just completely beyond me. Some people have nothing better for doing then taking offense, jumping on their moral high horse and ringing tw.ats like Joe Duffy to complain and start a crusade.

There was one cnut in the crowd who shouted at one point in the show but he was quickly told to shut the fcuk up by the rest of us. If you are such a sensitive soul then get up and leave!

As for the show itself, i felt it was lacking in parts. Don't get me wrong, i laughed until it hurt at times but there were parts when it dragged on a bit. I felt he had to spend too much time explaining himself.

did anyone read the metro this morning, there was this one letter absolutley slatting tommy, callin him "a rude, agressive, offensive and pathetic excuse for a human being" wow this b!tch really did have a moral high ground, discussin how his down's syndrome joke is so morally reprehensible! and how anyone can find him funny is "beyond her"! so not a tommy fan then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

did anyone read the metro this morning, there was this one letter absolutley slatting tommy, callin him "a rude, agressive, offensive and pathetic excuse for a human being" wow this b!tch really did have a moral high ground, discussin how his down's syndrome joke is so morally reprehensible! and how anyone can find him funny is "beyond her"! so not a tommy fan then!!

Well I would say I'm a Tommy fan but I did think his down's syndrome stuff was a bit too far and not very funny at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Im going to see the show in December so ill judge it when I see it. I'm certainly not going to judge it based on the offensometer, just whether or not it makes me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Labs

Hi firstly I don’t really agree with tickets touts never used them before but my boyfriend hasn't been able to get a ticket for the this friday show does anyone who's gone before know if there were many touts around so he'll be able to get a ticket? he's a really big fan but its kinda a last minute thing…mucho appreciato any input

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Labs wrote: »
    Hi firstly I don’t really agree with tickets touts never used them before but my boyfriend hasn't been able to get a ticket for the this friday show does anyone who's gone before know if there were many touts around so he'll be able to get a ticket? he's a really big fan but its kinda a last minute thing…mucho appreciato any input

Just a warning to Labs and the rest of ye: The selling of tickets is not permitted on boards.ie so no offering of spare tickets. Feel free to tell Labs whereabout touts may be, but keep it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Saw Tiernans new show. What a laugh, unlike others here, I thought it was better than his previous shows, with exception to his very early material (e.g. The pub made from Christmas Trees and Petrol).

Also, the D.S. Material was completely harmless, and the whingers who complained (without actually seeing the show) just gave him more material...

Also, I wouldn't judge him on his LLS appearances. He just goes out of his way to be vulgar and annoy all the stuck up complainers that watch Pat Kenny week on week.

Tiernan = Brilliant.

• Advertisement

Saw the new show last night, while not a patch on his first two shows (the ones on DVD anyway) he was still pretty damn good. My main gripe was it took him a while to get going, it was a good 20 minutes before I got a proper laugh. That and the suicide bombers & duck sex bits had been shortened quite a bit since he played Kilkenny in the summer. Fair enough, I suppose he wanted to use the time telling new jokes.
    And the down syndrome stuff; was actually pretty funny. There is no way in heck anyone who actually saw/heard it could think he was making fun of people with down syndrome.

i agree with galvasean, very good gig, not as good as live or cracked, but funnier then loose and jokerman! and the D.S. stuff: much ado about nothing! i had no problems with it, it was very funny! i was impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just saw DVD, all very funny - not his best stuff but still very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭hairyfish

its an excerpt from my blog but it went last night and ....
    As a surprise for my birthday we headed into see Tommy Tiernan in Vicar Street last night which was i was looking forward to. Now i had filled myself with booze the previous night so i was very much under the weather but had started to feel more alive once we hit Vicar Street.
    The support act was Tommy's cousin Elanor Tiernan and as female comedians go she was very good, very dry but got the crowd nicely warmed up!

Then for the main man himself, he was his usual explosive self on stage and everyone in the place knew we were set for a high-octane Tommy performance! Previously in the press Tommy's show had been criticised heavily for some of the material he had used, namely he had a lot of gags aimed at Down Syndrome kids and all well and good i had gone with an open mind but from the outset Tommy explained to the crowd about the contraversy that the show has attracted and to a rapturous applaus he said he would be keeping the material in. In the end when it came around to the gags i could understand why people were getting a bit nose out of joint with it, i will agree there were parts that were funny but after about ten minutes it was like watching a car crash.
    What followed after was good material, a bit blue sometimes but a great laugh none the less, i would equal some of the weird stuff as having your dad joke about having sex to you and your mates, a tad bit embarassing but sure you better laugh or your a prude! His set didn't last long, at max an hour and a half, no encore and we were booted out a little after 11pm. Wouldn't be in a rush to buy the DVD i have to say!

Forgot to mention Elenor. She was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Just saw the Ok Baby DVD last night and I thought it was terrible. I'm not even talking about the Down Syndrome stuff - I just thought his material was very poor throughout. I don't think I laughed once. He's very much on the slide imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

How much of the OK Baby DVD is material covered in the show he's doing at the moment?

I'm a big fan and I've got tickets to go see him in March. I just got the DVD there for Christmas and watched it just thought afterwards "Ah crap, I better not have just watched the exact same material I'm paying to go see in March!"

Branoic wrote: »
    How much of the OK Baby DVD is material covered in the show he's doing at the moment?

Not much. Probably only ten minutes worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pocket aces

i saw his show a week ago and it was brilliant! the d.s. material wasn't as bad as people made it out to be... i was surprised tho there were a few hecklers in the crowd and he made complete fools of them all... you'd think after the first one or two they would've learned!

its definitely up there with his best material; i think loose just about beats it tho (drug olympics, "do something sexy")

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I saw the 1st of the infamous DS shows in November, and I made the point in another thread that if you're offended by anything dont go to a comedy gig. Comedians are always pushing the boundaries of what they can joke about. Not to mention, Tommy himself cleared the material first with the head of Down Sydrome Ireland before he took it to the stage. Much ado about nothing methinks. Anyway the DVD is quite funny. Not as good as the 1st one, but I doubt he'll ever be that good again.

Advertisement