Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommy Tiernan

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Theatrebuff

Partner is delighted with the Tommy Tiernan tickets I gave him for Xmas. Really looking forward to it.
    He works very hard on his shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Slightly OT, got tickets to see Tommy this Friday (hope it's better than the OK Baby dvd - laughed 3 times max).

On my ticket it says "Level 2 Standing" and I can't see any mention of a table number. Surely this can't be right? Does anyone know where abouts in the venue this is?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

There is a balcony around the room with standing space alright - so it doesn't sound like you have a seat I'm afraid. I think they do have a counter for you to put your drinks on though...

jmcwobbles wrote: »
    There is a balcony around the room with standing space alright - so it doesn't sound like you have a seat I'm afraid. I think they do have a counter for you to put your drinks on though...

Oh balls, really? If I had known that etc... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

havent seen this show yet but would love to.

i have seen other shows of his though and he is just mental! i do like him but i think he goes a bit too mental!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

I was at the gig last night. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    I haven't laughed so much in a long time. I agree with the forum here that "Ok Baby" was a bit luke warm but I'd say he used 2 segments from that at most. The rest was all new material and it was hilarious.
    He did the Downs Syndrome stuff along with other risque material but in fairness, that's what comedy is about. You leave your political correctness outside and just enjoy it.
    I'd like to make two points about this element of Tommys act (and many other comedians):
    Firstly, Tommy is not saying "Ha ha ha, you're disabled" or anything like it. What he's doing is trying to find the humour in the situation. He's looking at it with a comedic glance. All comedians do this and as an earlier poster said, they all push the boundries of what is acceptable. If you're easily offended, don't go. Simple as. Tommy makes a very good defence of this during the show (which I won't ruin for those who haven't seen the show or if it comes out as a "Bovinity" DVD) and he has a letter from the Downs Syndrome Ireland on his website.
    Secondly, the stuff that Tommy is doing on stage is mild compared to some of the crass jokes you can hear bandied around a pub on a Friday night. I remember shortly after Katie French died seeing a few appalling text jokes doing the rounds. The sort of stuff that no comedian would ever ever ever dream of saying. Yet it's ok for this stuff to do the rounds and woe betide any comedian even making a mild reference or taking a slightly funny go (almost PG compared to the stuff you'd hear in pubs).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

i saw him on the 18th and i have to say i didnt stop laughing once.

to all those who say that his DVD's lack in quality, a lot is lost in translation.personally i didnt find OK Baby the best but this man is a god when he is performing in front of you.

Saw him there on Friday, absolutely fantastic - he was on cracking form.

"Racism... or having the craic?"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Went to see him last Thursday, first time seeing him live and was very impressed!

The best part of the show was actually not planned or rehearsed, it was when Tommy was dealing with a particular heckler.

Just as he was about to do his bit on the Sat Nav, he had just started his sentence
    i really really hate the english accent...
    and before he could get in the words on the sat nav's there was this little blonde
    english
    girl in the front row who immediately jumped up and started pointing and shouting at Tommy. Then followed a back and forward between the two, now this little one would not give up she was standing up - front row - and giving him loads.

Anyway the punch line Tommy delivered shut her up dead in her feet and the whole place just errupted, loudest i've ever heard in Vicar St i'll tell ya, anyway the punch line is below for anybody interested!

So tommy said to her:
    ah would you just sit the f*ck down and quit acting like you still own the place

I don't think i've ever laughed so hard, maybe not the funniest joke in the world but the timing and placement of the joke was just impeccable. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

yeah viking id say that happens most nights, it happened when i was there, during his first run aswell! brilliant!

• Advertisement
Advertisement