Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you like AH?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I don't find it clicky, people say what they want, if others disagree, they say so.

If someone says something deemed offensive by someone, they call them on it.

Ah no I'm only messing. Its just seems a bit like that sometimes. AH isn't somewhere I'd post too often but I find it a good read most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Ah no I'm only messing. Its just seems a bit like that sometimes. AH isn't somewhere I'd post too often but I find it a good read most of the time.

Cool, sure jump in more, throw your hat in the ring. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

throw your hat in the ring. :)

And/or your credit card details? Its something we do.. not often, but once in a while like :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I think AH is great, but it should be more free flowing. Mods seem to eager to lock/delete/move any thread they think is anyway out of place.

is there another way of decided what should be locked other than subjective personal opinion?
    :)

If a mod thinks a worthless thread has been posted then it will not get many replies and will die off, so let that happen instead of presuming nobody will be interested in it.

it happens. mods dont lock threads they think are worthless as far as im concerned. they lock threads that we consider not beyond the realms of AH's very liberal rule of decency or decorum.
    its very rare that a threads is locked just because a mod thinks no one is interested in it. id be surprised if its happened much at all tbh.
    there is usually a much different reason.

Also bring back tags.

its not something that we are thinking of returning any time soon.
    sorry.

besides, if you want to post pictures, go the feedback forum. and then read all the bitching that goes on there about the use of cat pictures.

AH would become a hive of stupid pictures, and that would annoy people. much like the constant use of 'yore ma (the phrase, not actually yore ma) or atari jaguar.

I think AH should be a no rule forum(except for NWS, abuse and copyright material) it would make the place ten times better than what it is.

will never happen. as mentioned, go to the thunderdome.

as mentioned elsewhere on this site, freedom does not equate to anarchy.

people have the freedom to post pretty much what they want already. it doesnt mean i have to allow people roam the hallways shouting obsenities and mugging other users for their lunch money.

so to speak...

and if it would be 10 times better, then why isnt the thunderdome all that popular?
    when it started it was all very witty, but really, have you read the garbage in there? by all means, start a few threads and ask for me to move them there. i will happily oblige :)

How does one go about becoming part of this after hours 'click'?

you use the word clique instead, and nubile maidens will fall at your feet, mana will fall from heavan, and you will instantly be welcomed with a firm handshake and an alcoholic beverage of youre own delight whenever you leave the house*

*may not actually be true in any shape or form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

eo980 wrote: »
    You've just described The Thunderdome.

But that doesn't get as big an audience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

But that doesn't get as big an audience

Which implies..

is there another way of decided what should be locked other than subjective personal opinion?

When it comes to AH, i think mods should be a little more relaxed, for example if people are arguing in a thread, just let it be they'll soon tire them selfs out

besides, if you want to post pictures, go the feedback forum. and then read all the bitching that goes on there about the use of cat pictures.

I'm banned from feedback, pmed every mod a couple times now but never got any replies, any chance you could sort that out? :)

AH would become a hive of stupid pictures, and that would annoy people. much like the constant use of 'yore ma (the phrase, not actually yore ma) or atari jaguar or tbh ;)

and if it would be 10 times better, then why isnt the thunderdome all that popular?
    when it started it was all very witty, but really, have you read the garbage in there? by all means, start a few threads and ask for me to move them there. i will happily oblige :)

All i know is that another big forum i use, the AH part is pretty much a post anything you want forum(except blatant nws) and its great
    If you wanna see what i mean about the other site, check it out its in the top 6 at big-boards.com

Anyway i know what you're saying, either way boards and AH is still on my daily visit list ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Cat picstures and all are funny, some good threads like always but i would like to see less imaturity on AH maybe send the immature things to TD where they can be as immature and as offensive as they like, this would mean better discussions in AH and less work for mods, not to mention satasfaction from boards users who want to be able to say what they want in AH threads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i only happened here recently and i find its nice

nicely free and not too stupid with some humor and seriousness thrown in

chatty thats what it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

rbd wrote: »
    i only happened here recently and i find its nice

nicely free and not too stupid with some humor and seriousness thrown in

chatty thats what it is

That's the coolest line I've read all day. I dunno if it's just me and the way I read your reply. I feel a better person. Someone praising AH in an almost innocent way. Their soul hasn't been chipped away at....... just yet.

That's the coolest line I've read all day. I dunno if it's just me and the way I read your reply. I feel a better person. Someone praising AH in an almost innocent way. Their soul hasn't been chipped away at....... just yet.

yup innocent thats me

I think a "youth club" sub-forum could be useful, all the toilet & "Your Mother" threads could be sidelined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Me? I'd like to see more reported posts. This function gives users more control over what is moved / locked / banned, etc. The people that whine the most in Feedback are quite often the people that report the least and rarely ever offer constructive criticism ("it shud b like "anarchaic" and stuff like" is not constructive.)

The catch-phrases, etc. : Can people please list which phrases they think are repeated too often? Yore ma is being dealt with. Any others? (We have a few that we think are overused but, as above, we want your input.)

WWM: He's Merc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Karoma wrote: »
    The catch-phrases, etc. : Can people please list which phrases they think are repeated too often? Yore ma is being dealt with. Any others? (We have a few that we think are overused but, as above, we want your input.)

"Free Speech" should be on the spam filter.

• Advertisement

'Terry' should also be on the spam filter :)

Just keep it loose, but merge the (same old crap) and divert the rants to the thunderdome. As well as I said earlier ^^^

If you make it too regimented it will lose a lot of what users want.

It's like Friday night in the pub, more fun after a few jars!! ;) (slowly getting Plasreretd)

Terry is nice.

there is that what you wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

really? havent spoken to him for a few months. what was he doing?

and who are you?

Edit... PM'd the link instead....

WWM: He's Merc

:eek:

:confused:

tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

tbh

QFT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I like my After Hours with a pinch of salt, and a barrel of boobs.
    More boobs I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I like it but, there are far too many threads being created every day. It's too hard to keep up sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I must visit here more often!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Degsy wrote: »
    Ban all hippie nazis!
    I'm with Degsy on that one.
    The Commie Nazis too.
    azezil wrote: »
    AH makes me moist, moist like a kitten ^_^
    By that he means that me, him and his kittens regularly participate in water sports.
    watna wrote: »
    Seconded. Some of the self-abuse threads were a little tasteless but I like it here, it keeps me entertained and I like the moderators, they're not nazis at all, and Terry makes me laugh. (Did you ever notice how all of his posts are perfectly spelled and punctuated too?!)

+1

And Terry makes me warm.
    No problems for me.

Unanimous in terms of comments so far. Feedback malcontents take note. The folk voting for some change might take the time to voice an opinion though...

Terry, Karoma, nesf et al do a fine job. The beauty of it is, they are all different people with very different opinions, and yet mod very consistently and even handedly.

Keep it up, chaps (as Ruu might say).
    I agree with the auld general consensus and that is that it's great. It's improved massively of late and you guys are doing a great job with it. The moderation is spot on and Terry is possibly the best thing to have happened to it.
    Daddio wrote: »
    There's been some interesting topics over the weeks, So Glad's threads have been the best in a long time imo.
    Also agree that terry is doing a lot of good modding - I have no idea how he has the time though :p
    I'm off the clock, so you can all suck my balls.

How do you like me now, mother****ers.

'Terry' should also be on the spam filter :)

I'll spam filter you, bitch.

Edit... PM'd the link instead....

:eek:

:confused:

ahhh, sorry dude.
    I cant keep up with your accounts :)

I still have memories of you phoning me prom the eminem concert so i could hear the show :)

Terry wrote: »

I'll spam filter you, bitch.

indeed.

boreds wrote: »
    I like it but, there are far too many threads being created every day. It's too hard to keep up sometimes.

what do you suggest we do then?
    stop people from posting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

what do you suggest we do then?
    stop people from posting?

G'wan, do it! You know you want to!

Imagine the volume of feedback threads, the lolcat community would be working overtime to keep up with the demand for new pics!

I've posted more in AH over the past few days than I have in the past few months and I have to say I've enjoyed it! The mods have done a great job imo, they've managed to keep threads flowing nicely through timely intervention. Kudos!

I agree. All the mods have done a sterling job.
    And they better keep doing it or they're fired!

• Advertisement

I'll fire...Never mind. I'm sober now.

With regards to the amount of threads; I have noticed a marked increase in thread creation and posts.
    I would imagine this is down to the recent upgrade and the increase in speed that it brought.

The default thread display shows threads from the last 10 days.
    There are usually six or seven pages of threads being shown.
    At the moment there are ten pages, so that's just less than one page worth of threads every day (factoring in stickies, bumped threads and the fact that the tenth page isn't full).
    This is the most I've seen on AH for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Yep, AH is indeed in a very healthy state. Long may it continue!

If I had to make a suggestion, I'd suggest... er... a fourfold increase in random tangential arguments with double the normal amount of deviant preversion!

Yeah.

And I expect that to be implemented by next thursday. Chop chop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

If I had to make a suggestion, I'd suggest... er... a fourfold increase in random tangential arguments with double the normal amount of deviant preversion!
    So if you just spend twice as long on AH ... done! :D

Back OT: In fairness, the mods do a mighty job of keeping the place going, and I for one don't envy them their job.

The only thing that really annoys me about AH is the idiots who constantly jump on the "Poles / Lithuanians / <insert nationality here> are r00ning Ireland" bandwagon, especially when they play the "culture" and "history" cards! If they actually knew their Irish history, even of the last fifty years, they might be a little less quick to put the boot in to people who have come over here to make a few bob while times are reasonably good, just like lots of my family (and probably yours!) headed to England and the US in the past when Ireland's economy was in the sh1t.

Tbh, Hagar, I would take a "what is the strangest place you spanked the monkey?" thread over that any day ... at least they can be funny (albeit juvenile) at times. That guy (can't remember his nick, one of the gamers) who decided that the loo in St. Peter's Basilica in Rome was the perfect spot to rub one out still makes me grin!

However, I'm just having a little rant on the subject, really ... the mods keep a sharp eye on it as it is, and going on a wholesale rampage would only start multiple "free speech / fight the powah" threads in Feedback. Anyway, they are entitled to their opinion, I guess, even if it is idiotic, uninformed, infantile and bigoted, and they may as well vent it here where they will at least be confronted on it, rather than on some other site where their neo-fascist rants might go unchallenged.

The only thing that really annoys me about AH is the idiots who constantly jump on the "Poles / Lithuanians / <insert nationality here> are r00ning Ireland" bandwagon, especially when they play the "culture" and "history" cards! If they actually knew their Irish history, even of the last fifty years, they might be a little less quick to put the boot in to people who have come over here to make a few bob while times are reasonably good, just like lots of my family (and probably yours!) headed to England and the US in the past when Ireland's economy was in the sh1t.

we dont have a filter for people who dont have a grasp of the whole picture.
    what you get on here is a representation of ireland.

if people think those thoughts here, then you can bet your bottom dollar that there are plenty of others.
    you can try and educate them, or you can just ignore them.

ive learnt to ignore.

some people just come out with utter crap.
    and thats not just this forum, its all forums. :)

but then again, theres plenty of people out there who think im full of crap, so i dont mind to much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

AH is normally grand! Its general lack of seriousness and touch of humour makes it fun. I actually read a sticky!
    **B!ue goes into SHOCK**

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

far to many *touched* ppl out there who have nothing better to do than start topics on wiping ur ass and other stimulating conversations.keep the funny threads in but kick and ban the idiots who start completly useless and pointless threads.

electric69 wrote: »
    far to many *touched* ppl out there who have nothing better to do than start topics on wiping ur ass and other stimulating conversations.keep the funny threads in but kick and ban the idiots who start completly useless and pointless threads.

what do you categorize as useless and what do you categorize as funny and what do you catagorize as pointless?

I just had a look at the poll results and 58.45% of you are happy.
    That's nice.

What bothers me is the other 41.55% who are not happy with it.
    Most of you have chosen not to speak up.
    How are we supposed to help you, if you don't tell us what you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I just had a look at the poll results and 58.45% of you are happy.
    That's nice.

What bothers me is the other 41.55% who are not happy with it.
    Most of you have chosen not to speak up.
    How are we supposed to help you, if you don't tell us what you want?

It's obvious what the problem is, imo.

People are too scared to speak up because they are afraid of the moderators.

I'm making a stance here.

People are afraid that if they say anything that 'goes against the grain' of the AH Clique, then they will be castigated, maybe even banned by self riotous mods.

Forty odd percent is a very sizeable minority, to be fair, and should be catered for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Terry I think you are selling your self short.

I am one of the 28% who voted for "Some change" That does not mean I'm unhappy with AH, in fact I think it's the heart of Boards and is very well run. "Some change" is just an indication that there is some aspects I enjoy more than others and I would like to see more of them. Not really a negative indicator at all. I'd say you could claim that the "some change" brigade are happy with AH rather than unhappy.

Good work lads, keep it up.

DesF wrote: »
    It's obvious what the problem is, imo.

People are too scared to speak up because they are afraid of the moderators.

I'm making a stance here.

People are afraid that if they say anything that 'goes against the grain' of the AH Clique, then they will be castigated, maybe even banned by self riotous mods.

Forty odd percent is a very sizeable minority, to be fair, and should be catered for.
    Nobody is going to be banned for speaking up and voicing an opinion on how they feel AH should be. This thread is here for people to speak up and voice their opinions.

A few people have already pointed out some of the things they do not like about the place, but they have not been banned for it.

Criticism is welcome.

I don't think I can be any clearer on that aspect.

As for a clique, I don't think there is one.
    Everyone is subject to the same rules.

People shouldn't be afraid to speak up. Nothing is achieved through silence.

Hagar, that's a fair point.
    I'd rather err on the side of caution though and assume most of the ~40% would like to see change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

....The catch-phrases, etc. : Can people please list which phrases they think are repeated too often? Yore ma is being dealt with. Any others? (We have a few that we think are overused but, as above, we want your input.)

That is all. God I hate that one and everyone says it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

I would like to see less of the bodily functions / how many times a day do you.....threads

But then I'm probably talking ****e !:)

Nobody is going to be banned for speaking up and voicing an opinion on how they feel AH should be. This thread is here for people to speak up and voice their opinions.
    Fair enough. I knew that, of course.

What I was trying to do is open up the debate, as you said yourself, the malcontents aren't speaking up, and in reality this thread is a love-in.

"Eye Heart The Mods" - well that's great and all, and fair enough of people feel that, more power to them for expressing that, but I reckon that because so many people have done this, the people who have 'complaints' (not really the word I wanted to use) are afraid that their points will be torn apart like a Feedback Fight Da Powah thread.
    A few people have already pointed out some of the things they do not like about the place, but they have not been banned for it.
    Again, fair enough.
    Criticism is welcome.
    That's nice to hear.
    tbh, I don't think it was unclear.

If people think there is a clique, then there is one.
    Hmm, I think you may be taking the wrong end of the stick here. I don't think anyone has ever said that 'more regular' posters to AH are treated differently by the mods.

But it is clear that there is a group of posters who post a lot in AH, this could be considered an AH Clique, could it not?

Once people get comfortabel posting among a bunch of regulars, a n00b who was previously a lurker may be slow to post his opinion in AH, for fear of being ridiculed. Of course, some people just come along and don't care what others think. Fair play to them.

In my opinion, there's not much can be done about this. If a regular poster starts slapping down opinions of n00bs, I've no doubt the mods would take a dim view.

Unless, of course, someone is acting the total numpty.
    People shouldn't be afraid to speak up. Nothing is achieved through silence.
    QFT :)

Am I still getting a pint on Sunday?

DesF wrote:
    What I was trying to do is open up the debate, as you said yourself, the malcontents aren't speaking up, and in reality this thread is a love-in.
    I know that you were trying to open up the debate.
    I was trying to help. :)
    I don't want to see a love-in. I want to see constructive criticism.
    DesF wrote:
    "Eye Heart The Mods" - well that's great and all, and fair enough of people feel that, more power to them for expressing that, but I reckon that because so many people have done this, the people who have 'complaints' (not really the word I wanted to use) are afraid that their points will be torn apart like a Feedback Fight Da Powah thread.
    I'd just like to point out that there will be no cats or manatees or whatever in this thread.
    This is AH, not feedback.
    If you can post in this thread, it means that you have not been banned for being a complete tool, and because of that, you will not be subjected to ridicule of any kind.
    DesF wrote:
    tbh, I don't think it was unclear.
    Ahh, sometimes I don't quite get the message across the way I would like to.
    DesF wrote:
    If people think there is a clique, then there is one.
    Fair point.
    I don't see one myself, but I understand that others might.

DesF wrote:
    Hmm, I think you may be taking the wrong end of the stick here. I don't think anyone has ever said that 'more regular' posters to AH are treated differently by the mods.
    It has been mentioned a couple of times in feeback.
    DesF wrote:
    But it is clear that there is a group of posters who post a lot in AH, this could be considered an AH Clique, could it not?
    It could.
    I view everyone the same way though.
    I don't care if you are a subscriber, moderator, Smod, Cmod or whatever.
    You play by the rules. If you don't, then you're banned. Simple as that.
    Not that I can ban an Smod or a Cmod, but I have no problem bitching them out if they screw around.

Those rules are open to change though, and that is why this thread is here.
    DesF wrote:
    Once people get comfortabel posting among a bunch of regulars, a n00b who was previously a lurker may be slow to post his opinion in AH, for fear of being ridiculed. Of course, some people just come along and don't care what others think. Fair play to them.
    Fair play indeed.
    It can be harsh at times.
    DesF wrote:
    In my opinion, there's not much can be done about this. If a regular poster starts slapping down opinions of n00bs, I've no doubt the mods would take a dim view.
    Things can be done though.
    I don't like to see new members being shot down.
    You are not your post count or your join date or anything else like that.
    You are your contribution.
    DesF wrote:
    Am I still getting a pint on Sunday?
    Yes.

Oh, your post was not edited by me.
    I was using the edit option and posting in the quick reply thingy. I hit save on the edit thingy instead of cancel, which is why it says it was edited by me.

• Advertisement

Oh, your post was not edited by me.
    I was using the edit option and posting in the quick reply thingy. I hit save on the edit thingy instead of cancel, which is why it says it was edited by me.
    :eek: :eek:

Mod oppression!

You edited everything bad I said about you and the other mods out of my post, then you quoted the 'new' stuff. That's low Terry. Low.

Damn. I was rumbled.

I would like to see less of the bodily functions / how many times a day do you.....threads

But then I'm probably talking ****e !:)

i was supprised by them also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

More cowbell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Tazdedub

Can there be bans for anyone who uses "your ma" in post on AH? I think a lot of people on AH would be glad to see the back of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement