Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LLU outside of Dublin

Options
  • 17-10-2007 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

... and major cities, ie Limerick, Cork, Galway and maybe Waterford. Are there any other exchanges outside the big ones that are LLU enabled. Cos I'm looking for an option to move away from eircom resellers for a company that puts in their own equipment at the exchange.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Smart, Magnet and BT are the only LLU operators. BT's only exchange outside Dublin is Dooradoyle in Limerick. Check with Magnet and Smart if your line is on one of their exchanges. If you're in a rural area then forget it, if in a largish town then maybe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

smart in largeish towns , eg Letterkenny and Sligo

I thought magnet had pulled out of residential

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Let me guess, it's down to eircom to assist in LLU and they couldn't be arsed a) costs too much and b) it loses them business. Comreg... useless?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Mostly (a). I'd doubt Smart or magnet actually make money out of LLU. BT's Dooradoyle/Raheen was inherited from an early esat experiment doing DSL in Limerick about same time as eircom did 1st Dublin trials. I beleive BT have some other LLU places and some other ISPs have a small about of LLU so they can be in on Comreg negotiations in case it ever did be economical. Don't expect to actually purchase it from anyone other than Smart or BT for now.

It costs the ISP about €17 a month per line to eircom. Then cost of installing equipment, monthly backhaul cost, rent on space used in exchange.

So it costs the ISP more in monthly wholesale charges than the retail charge in many other European countries.

If Babcock and Brown sold the Retail eircom and kept network as they want they would only have ISPs (including eircom retail) as customers and not have all those retail customer service overheads of support, billing, etc. eircom retail would have to pay the same as everyone else.

So almost 90% of the profits and maybe 20% of the current overheads. I can see why B&B want to split eircom. Plus what they get selling the retail might be 75% of what they paid for the whole thing. They sold the masts already now and leased back, next eircom retail, then Meteor, then maybe all the exhanges and lease back. When they implement NGN they can replace a lot of exchanges with a cabinet (pity about all the 3rd party LLU & DSLAMS then too as it won't work).

A large proportion of the network would not accomodate LLU ISP's gear after eircom's NGN plan. Another reason why ISPs aren't doing investement in LLU.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lebowsky

You can add Portlaoise to the list of Smarts exchanges.

• Advertisement
Advertisement